Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Do you want the "Edit" button?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, let me have the "Edit" button

0 0%
  • No, let's leave things as they are

0 0%

Thread: The "Edit" Button

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The "Edit" Button

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

I wonder if I should give you all the "Edit" button.

When I created this forum, I wanted it to be different from the other forums based in Singapore. I've done my fair share of hanging around in other forums and generally, I have to say the standard of forums in Singapore is disappointing. Mindless chatter and nonsensical posts outnumber quality posts by huge margins and generally, people treat forums like they are their own private message boards.

Forum users in Singapore don't seem to realise that they should practise a certain amount of etiquette when taking part in discussions on forums. So its common to see "quoting of unnecessary text", "posts written in Singlish or even worse, Hokkien", "posts written in sms-language with short forms others have difficulty understanding", "posts that are completely irrelevant to the topic discussed", "posts that are of interest to only one other forum member like 'you got pm' or 'you got email', "posts that are typed completely in capitals" etc.

One of the things I thought would make this forum better than others was to make the "edit" button unavailable to members. Only moderators and yours truly have the power to edit posts. I thought, maybe wrongly, that this would make people think more carefully about the things they write.

But of late, I can't help but notice that there are many spelling errors in members' posts. I'm quite sure the errors are unintentional. Although posts can be previewed before they are sent, I can understand that sometimes, it's difficult to spot the errors until it's too late.

So I wonder if I let you all have the "edit" button, would it improve the quality of English in the posts?

Please take part in the poll and let me know. I hope the poll works this time.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Loh,
    how to poll the button is not fucntionable.
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear all,
    I see the 'Edit' function as a privilege and responsibility. Use it well, for typos and adding further thoughts.

Kwek Leong,
    Participating forumers have so far, behaved well. I would propose activating the 'Edit' for an interim period, and monitoring the posts.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    I would propose activating the 'Edit' for an interim period, and monitoring the posts.
    I think that's a good suggestion so I've changed the permissions to allow all registered users to edit their own posts.

Folks, you should be able to edit your posts from now on but please take note that everytime you edit a post, there will be a short message at the bottom of your post stating the number of times the post has been edited.

Actually, it wasn't Ronnie's suggestion but rather something I read in the "planted tanks" subforum that made me go ahead with the decision to give you all the "edit" button. Daphne, a good friend of mine, wrote something yesterday and I know she usually writes very good English. But there were so many spelling errors in her post, I'm convinced that giving everyone the "edit" button would be a good decision.

Loh K L