Country
    Singapore

Eggs order and sharing shipping

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear All,

Most of those who have been keeping killies for a while and importing eggs on an individual effort, will tell you that it's the only way to increase the variety of locally available species.

I know that newbies will squirm at the thoughts of baked eggs, losing payment through mail, etc but nothing in this world is guaranteed (not even this arrangement!).

I'm in contact with Au and I'm very game to order some Aphyosemion eggs, to be shipped via courier. It's more expensive but it's also faster. Non-annuals have a relatively short incubation period and I don't like the idea of transit hatching or baked notho eggs either.

There's no confirmed arrangement as yet, but I'll take the risk of opening my big mouth, and encourage those who're considering getting eggs to take advantage of faster shipping + lower shipping costs (since we'll be sharing the load).

Make your intention known and let's make this a collective effort instead of an individual shouldering the burden.

I'll let Au update you on available species, the prices of eggs and the approximate courier charges.

Although this is possibly a one-time arrangement, I'm hoping that it will not be the last because everyone benefits ie. as long as the seller has what you want :wink:

Since Au might be doing most of the work (co-ordination, etc), it's only fair that his effort is not forgotten and I'd suggest we try to take care of his interest too (hmm... I'm not sure if Au is gleaming or frowning from my proposals! :wink.

I'd better shut up and give Au a chance to talk.
    (sorry Au for putting you on the hot seat but I couldn't contain my excitement ).
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Eggs Order

The shipping cost via Fedex quoted to me tentatively is US$50-60. I'll try to finalise this with the seller. As a general guide to kick start this, I've posted the species available. Price of individual species will be advise later. If you have any species in mind not listed, just post it and I'll try to check with the seller.

In order to avoid any disputes, take note that all orders are not guranteed for survival. Each species is usually packed in a dozen eggs or 20. If the eggs fail to hatch do not hold me responsible as I'm just doing you guys a favour without markups.

List of species available:-

Terr. dolichopterus 'V96/7'
    N. sp. Odienya 'Nyando River' KE 01-3
    Notho. eggersi 'Kilimani' TAN 02/15
    Notho. ugandensis 'KE 01-4'
    N. rachovii
    Notho. eggersi 'Rufiji River' TAN 02/16
    Notho. taeniopygus 'Wembere' TAN 00/9
    Notho. palmqvisti 'Ramisi' KE 01-11
    Fp. filamentosus 'Ikeja'
    Fp. sjoestedti 'Dwarf Red'
    Aphy. cognatum 'Kinsuka' (F1)
    Ep. chaperi 'Angona'
    Riv. xiphidius 'PK 15'
    Aphy. australe 'BSWG 97-24'
    Chrom. bitaeniatum 'Ijebu Ode'
    Fp. robertsoni
    Aphy. rectogoense 'PEG 95-16'
    Aphy. striatum 'Lamberene'
    Aphy. exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola'
    Aphy. christyi 'Kinshasa'(F1)
    Fp. gardneri 'Lafia'
    Riv. cylindraceus (Al Castro strain)
    Chrom. bitaeniatum 'Benin City'
    Ep. chaperi 'Angona'
    Notho. eggersi 'Rufiji River' TAN 02/16
    Notho. taeniopygus 'Wembere' TAN 00/9
    Notho. palmqvisti 'Ramisi' KE 01-11
    Ep. infrafasciatus 'Bidou' (F2)
    Riv. xiphidius 'Crique Boulanger'
    Fp. mirabilis moense 'Nguti' HAH 98
    Script. cauveti Siramousaya
    Aphy. australe 'Cape Esterias' EBT 96-27

For the start, Ronnie, would you like to list down the species you're interested?
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    In order to avoid any disputes, take note that all orders are not guranteed for survival. Each species is usually packed in a dozen eggs or 20. If the eggs fail to hatch do not hold me responsible as I'm just doing you guys a favour without markups.
    Au, I'm game despite the risks... no venture, no gain.

(Ron looks around for a shopping cart...)

With the exception of Terr. dolichopterus 'V96/7', which I'd like to have 2 bags (because this is one TOUGH cookie that I've been eyeing for a long time), the rest is one bag each;
    Chrom. bitaeniatum 'Ijebu Ode'
    Aphy. rectogoense 'PEG 95-16'
    Aphy. exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola'
    If the seller has Aphy. ogoense, I'd like to have a bag too!!

Heck! since i have to hatch BBS, I might as well feed a few species!

The following are very nice too and worthy of consideration, but I feel my wallet getting airy . Perhaps someone would like to give 'em a shot? Hopefully there will come a day when we can swap F2 of our fishes (crossing fingers real hard!)
    Fp. robertsoni
    Riv. xiphidius 'PK 15'
    Riv. xiphidius 'Crique Boulanger'
    Aphy. christyi 'Kinshasa'(F1)
    Script. cauveti Siramousaya
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, Ronnie and Au,

Please hold your horses!! It's not fair. I saw a couple of fish on Ronnie's list which I want very much too but since Ronnie is already going to buy them, I don't know if I should order the same too.

Ronnie, I would suggest you take back your wish list and we start again. Only now, we need to have some rules. I propose that the first rule be that no one is allowed to order more than 3 species. This is so everyone here is given a chance to pick their favourite fish. The idea is to spread the species around to many hobbyists and not let a few hoard many species. After one week, anyone is allowed to pick any number of remaining species from Au's list. How about that?

We have to give the other guys time to go through the list because many would be unfamiliar with the names and have no idea what fish they are buying. One week should be more than enough for everyone to do some research on their own. I propose closing date for ordering eggs be the 5th of November (Friday). After that day, Au can summarise the orders and everyone would know what species were not ordered.

Au, I saw only the Dwarf Red Fp. sjoestedti on your list. Is the Blue Gularis available? I won't choose from your list now because I think I should let the others choose first. But I will "choop" (meaning book or reserve to our foreign friends) the Blue Gularis if it’s available.

Guys, this is your chance to own some exotic species of killies. No more excuses about being afraid that eggs will not hatch although there's still a possiblity they won't.

Au, thank you very much for your efforts. I think it would be best if you let the guys know roughly how much one species would be. A ballpark figure should be good enough. We don't want anyone to faint on finding out later the price of the fish he ordered

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Please hold your horses!! It's not fair.
    I was laughing so hard, I almost fell off my chair! eh, buddy, all's fair in love and war.

I saw a couple of fish on Ronnie's list which I want very much too but since Ronnie is already going to buy them, I don't know if I should order the same too
    Goes to show you've got good taste too!... but don't kill me with curiousity, which are those on your wish-list?

Seriously tho, for those "desirable" species, it's worth having duplicate orders since we DO need a larger safety net. There's reassurance in numbers and there's NEVER a guarantee on the hatch rate or balanced sex ratio.

You and I have gone down that beaten path before and there's nothing much we can do with 3 male Aphy. hera... get my point now? There's also no telling in how the frys will fare in different or newer hands (guys, don't forget to standby 'baby foods'!!! Time to start culturing microworms or buy those brine shrimp eggs!!)

Ronnie, I would suggest you take back your wish list and we start again. Only now, we need to have some rules. I propose that the first rule be that no one is allowed to order more than 3 species.
    You have some valid points, but... shucks... only 3??? WOW!... that's gonna be tough... let's see... (ouch!... was that a vein bursting...)

It's still 2 bags of Terr. dolichopterus 'V96/7', one bag of Aphy. rectogoense 'PEG 95-16' and ... urm... urm... (gawd... this ain't no fun!!)
    eh Kwek Leong, why don't you post your list and we work it out from there (we can swap the frys or something) or debate over it .

This is so everyone here is given a chance to pick their favourite fish. The idea is to spread the species around to many hobbyists and not let a few hoard many species.
    I can understand that, but what if we all share the same good taste or experience skewed sexes? Then what? We really shouldn't spread ourselves too thinly and I suggest you check with Au about his recent shipment.

We have to give the other guys time to go through the list because many would be unfamiliar with the names and have no idea what fish they are buying.
    I can already see the newbies scrambling for google-search, to see which is which! but yeah, one week is sufficient (ok boys & girls, go do your homework!).

I propose closing date for ordering eggs be the 5th of November (Friday). After that day, Au can summarise the orders and everyone would know what species were not ordered.
    Date is ok but let's not wait till the last minute and then delay again, to decide on mode of payment to Au. Be mindful that we're pretty darn close to "too-cold-to-ship"!

Guys, this is your chance to own some exotic species of killies. No more excuses about being afraid that eggs will not hatch although there's still a possiblity they won't.
    Yup... listen up, some of 'em are really hard to come by and don't expect your neighbourhood fish shop to have these. Meanwhile, let's remain optimistic but not complacent, because Murphy's Law still apply.

I think this is also a good time for those who ALREADY have viable pairs of those species listed, so we can afford to ease off and concentrate on others that are not in "Singapore's base-stock".
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    but don't kill me with curiousity, which are those on your wish-list?
    Very well, if you really want to know. Besides the Blue Gularis, the eggs I'm looking at are the Aphy. rectogoense 'PEG 95-16' and Aphy. exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola'.

Ronnie, I don't think it's a good idea to buy more than one bag of eggs or for any of us to order the same species. This is because I believe Au will be buying the eggs from only one breeder. So chances are if the eggs of any species don't hatch, any other bag of eggs of the same species from this breeder won't either.

I would suggest for this "egg-ordering exercise", we spread ourselves so that no 2 persons are buying the same species of eggs. If some species fail to hatch or if the sex ratio is skewed, we can do this "mass egg-buying" again with some other breeder.

These are just my suggestions. Nothing should stop you buying the whole list of eggs if you really want to have so many species for yourself. Just make sure you have the money to pay for them when they arrive.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    By the way, folks,

If you are using Google search to look for images of the killies on Au's list, nothing will show up if you don't type in the full name. You can leave out the collection codes. For instance, if you are looking for Aphy. rectogoense 'PEG 95-16', type Aphyosemion rectogoense or Google won't be able to find the images.

By the same token, anything Fp should be substituted with Fundulopanchax, Notho would be Nothobranchius, Riv is Rivulus, Ep is Epiplatys, Chrom is Chromaphyosemion. I'm not quite sure about the rest. Can someone else help out?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    N. , N. sp. , Notho. = Nothobranchius
    Terr. = Terranatos
    Script. = Scriptaphyosemion
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hi guys,

Currently I have the following species which I bought from Canada in August...

Aplocheilus lineatus
    Rivulus tenuis Tako Talpu
    F. Gardneri N'sukka
    Ap bitaeniatum Ojube-Ode
    Ap poliaki Mile 29
    Nothobranchius patrizii
    Notho. eggersi 'Kilimani' TAN95/7
    Notho. eggersi 'Rufiji River' TAN 02/15

And here is my wishlist:

Plataplochilus sp. GJS 00/22
    Lacustricola kassenjiensis Paraa north UGR 99/5
    Fundulosoma thierryi GH 94-1

As I was busy picking my selection, Mr Loh has restricted the order to only three species per person so I think I better dont be too greedy and I will abide to the rules here.

Do let me know the outcome of arrangement and also the charges too, thanks!!
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm, so Ronnie isn't the only "greedy" hobbyist in this forum

Hey, Lily, you are supposed to pick only 3 species. Please delete from your list the extra ones.

Ronnie, I read my own post just now and I don't know if you feel offended but my post sounded curt and rude. I know you will understand that I will never be rude to you and it was just a mistake on my part not to put in a smiley when I said "Just make sure you have the money to pay for them when they arrive". In fact, I wasn't referring to you when I wrote that as I know you are an honest bloke. That statement I made was to remind everyone that they have to pay Au promptly when the eggs arrive.

Anyway, other than the Blue Gularis, I really wouldn't mind letting you have the other species. I'm quite flexible about this really. I will simply choose another 2 species that no one else is buying.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the interruption. Is this open for Singaporeans only?
    Jennifer Ooi
    Living in Pearl of Orient

Feedback Score
    Hi all,
    This thread is giving me the giggles
    The excitment here made my day!!!
    There are 6 children here today all under the age of 5,I needed a brighter!
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Hmm, so Ronnie isn't the only "greedy" hobbyist in this forum
    Nope, we all are. Greed is a powerful driving force and in it's milder form, it isn't always a bad thing. Some coin it 'ambition'.

Ronnie, I read my own post just now and I don't know if you feel offended but my post sounded curt and rude. I know you will understand that I will never be rude to you and it was just a mistake on my part not to put in a smiley when I said "Just make sure you have the money to pay for them when they arrive". In fact, I wasn't referring to you when I wrote that as I know you are an honest bloke.
    haiz... Kwek Leong, you of all people should know that it takes much more to get under my skin, and if I had felt otherwise, you know I don't back off.

Anyway, let's not dwell on minor issues; no offence taken, and there are better things to worry about... like skewed sex ratios (an all-boys or all-girls team will really get to me!).

That statement I made was to remind everyone that they have to pay Au promptly when the eggs arrive.
    Personally, I would very much prefer if Au can accept online bank transfers to his account, once the deal is confirmed and not wait until parcel arrives. It's immediate (within the same bank), it's safe and there's no room for lame excuses.

I'm appreciative of Au doing us all a favor and it isn't right for him, to have to chase for payment. Then again, if he's is not comfortable with the transfer method, I'll leave it to his discretion as to how and when to collect payment (I just want to rush home and wet 'em eggs!).

Anyway, other than the Blue Gularis, I really wouldn't mind letting you have the other species. I'm quite flexible about this really. I will simply choose another 2 species that no one else is buying.
    It's healthy when we can agree to disagree and in this case, those 2 species are on a fine line, to be in a single hobbyist's hands (and that's rigid). I see NO reason why you should settle for something else and not have these beauties in your tank too!

Let's chew on this... when we have a firm number on egg costs, let those who have the desire, to go for it. Those who're new to the ball game can pick what they're comfortable with and let's all learn from the experience of 'mass-egg-buying'. I'm sure we'd all know, for better or worse, how to handle ourselves when the next opportunity presents itself. No?

For those who're not familiar with the level reqired of each species, have a look at this guide for the easy and difficult (so now you know).
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jkillis
    Sorry for the interruption. Is this open for Singaporeans only?
    Jennifer, as a member of this forum, I feel you shouldn't be left out. Just be wary that non-annuals have shorter incubation period and that there's another postal lag between here and your home. I think nothos might fare better but don't hold me to that.

I've not sent out your grindals because an 'aromatic' mush = the sound of silence (and I'm still working on that container). If we time it nicely, the eggs and grindals can be dispatched in one parcel.

and Deb, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron , Au , Loh and others,

I hope I can help out with the cost and space constrain with some species. but as I newbie (yet to own one killifish yet) I hope the old birds can help me with these eggs. I have just setup a 2ft tank in anticipation of my 1st batch of killi.

As I just got back home, I don't have much time to search the net for the pictures ( I will do so over the next few days), and can list out one.

As this is a 'newbie' killifish and have nice color with tall fins and long tails, i would like to try this out, but alas Ron is so fast to list it. thus if the old birds can help me out to list what they think are newbie killifish, I will take another 2 to help out on the cost. of course will give / trade etc with others if I am sucessful to breed them.

So if Ron is so nice to let me have this species, then he can reduce his list by one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    I hope I can help out with the cost and space constrain with some species. but as I newbie (yet to own one killifish yet) I hope the old birds can help me with these eggs. I have just setup a 2ft tank in anticipation of my 1st batch of killi.
    Old birds?? sheesh... who are you calling 'old'? Over here, we're all young at heart!!

Looks like I've to kick butts again! I'm sure we can work that out, Daz, but do let your main tank go thru it's cycles first. Not every fish like spikes.

Killie-newbie aside, have you dealt with fish eggs or young frys before? (yeah, I need to ask). If not, make sure you catch that primer at the main homepage. Get your things ready and don't forget about 'baby food'. But if Yan can cook... urm... I meant if Lily can do it, so can you! :wink:

You wanted 3 species... and with one tank, that's plenty dicey! Chances of you recognizing which fry is which, is urm... rather slim, unless you get one from each genus, say... Chrom, Fp and Aphy, or an EP (if you want a surface feeder as well, but they jump!) and yes, one can differentiate females from Chrom and Aphy.

of course will give / trade etc with others if I am sucessful to breed them.
    Isn't that the whole idea to killie keeping?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, i'm interested in te following :

Fp filamentosus 'Ikeja'
    Aphy cognatum 'kinsuka' F1

BTW Au, are you able to get the Aphy exiguum 'melotabe'?
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, frankly i do not have much experience with fry and eggs. the closest is fry of live breeders.

anyway i will setup a couple of smaller tanks to rear the different species. not keeping them all together.

meanwhile let me take some time to go thru the WWW to check out the picture and info of the species available. might be able to work out a list of 3 by end of this week.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow before I can pick on the list for myself, most of the good stuffs had already being booked. I think I'll pass for this time round. But I still co-ordinate for you guys here. :wink:

As for the closing date, Kwek Leong, we may have to bring it forward as it's too near to the cold season. The seller may not want to send by then. We need to give him time to collect the eggs. :P Let's fix the closing date as 2 Nov midnight. I'll then compile the list on 3 Nov and send out the orders.

For those who are keen and have not make up their mind yet, please do it fast as I do not want to flood the buyer with mails asking for price. Note that he is a big time seller on the net and having to attend to about 20 people every week!

Tentaively I've tabulated the orders based on the posts. It's up to you guys to negotiate and see who is ordering which.

I suggest that you guys should edit on the list I've posted up to make my job easier.

Ronwill

Terr. dolichopterus 'V96/7' [2]
    Chrom. bitaeniatum 'Ijebu Ode' [1]
    Aphy. rectogoense 'PEG 95-16' [1]
    Aphy. striatum 'Lamberene' [1]
    Aphy. exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola' [1]
    Chrom. bitaeniatum 'Benin City' [1]
    Aphy. australe 'Cape Esterias' EBT 96-27 [1]
    Aphy. ogoense [1]

Timebomb
    Fp. sjoestedti [1]

Lily
    Plataplochilus sp. GJS 00/22 [1]
    Lacustricola kassenjiensis Paraa north UGR 99/5 [1]
    Fundulosoma thierryi GH 94-1 [1]

Zul
    Fp filamentosus 'Ikeja' [1]
    Aphy cognatum 'kinsuka' F1 [1]

Now it's up to Ronnie to decide if he's giving up on any species for the rest or you guys here would like to order the same species to act as a safety net here in case.........

I'll get the pricing from the seller and update the list.

Once again I've to make this point clear to everyone 'No gurantee on the survival of eggs ordered'.

As for payment, once I've finalise with the seller and transfer the funds to him, I expect you guys to fulfill your payment. I'll PM my POSB account number for you guys to do the transfer when everything is finalised.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    Wow before I can pick on the list for myself, most of the good stuffs had already being booked. I think I'll pass for this time round. But I still co-ordinate for you guys here. :wink:
    Au, would it make any difference is somebody else ordered 2 bags of that species??

As for the closing date, Kwek Leong, we may have to bring it forward as it's too near to the cold season. The seller may not want to send by then. We need to give him time to collect the eggs.
    Valid concern... good point.

Now it's up to Ronnie to decide if he's giving up on any species for the rest or you guys here would like to order the same species to act as a safety net here in case.........
    ... and now, the time has come to draw the final curtain... (sung to the tune of 'I did it my way' by Frank Sinatra :wink: )

Ronwill
    Terranatos dolichopterus 'V96/7' [2]
    Rivulus xiphidius 'PK 15' [1]
    Aphy. ogoense 'Komono Yellow' [1]

Timebomb
    Fp. sjoestedti [1]
    Aphy. rectogoense 'PEG 95-16' 2 bags?? :wink:
    Aphy. exigoideum 'Ngoudoufola' 2 bags?? :wink:
    (Kwek Leong, now you can do that tappity dance! )

Daz, these are worth considering....
    Fp. robertsoni
    These share the same water parameters, females from this group are distinctive between genus and males are handsome (you better know how to care for them! ).

The rest of you can carry on (while I go back to my corner and sulk! )
    Ronnie Lee

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast