Thread: Aquarama 2003

Feedback Score

Aquarama 2003

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just went in there today.

There's loads of fishes and also not to mention the tons of people there. i did some brief shopping around and didn't managed to spot any killies. but there's a booth selling decapsulated brine shrimp eggs like $2 for 17g if i'm not wrong.

So anyone went there too?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hello silverstallion, i was there too yesterday. talking about brine shrimp eggs, which booth u referring to? the only booth i saw selling brine shrimp was at the Betta Club booth. they also had microworms for sale.

anyway, didn't get anything cos my dream filter was sapu-ed before i could get it. and i ended up buying plants from tropica. one Java moss encrusted rock (quite nice shape.. of the rock that is) and a coconut husk cut in half with anubias, java moss and java fern "Windelov" growing on the top. really nice.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Hi StormHawk,

Sorry i can't really remember which one but it's not at betta club singapore.

Angel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Angel, are you refering to this:

http://sg.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...gs.jpg&.view=t

Got it free during the first day as 'trade visitor' .

Was told to have 90% hatch rate. Tried out, pretty good. The bbs are very tiny, good for my beta fry!

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turaco
    Angel, are you refering to this:

http://sg.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...gs.jpg&.view=t

Got it free during the first day as 'trade visitor' .

Was told to have 90% hatch rate. Tried out, pretty good. The bbs are very tiny, good for my beta fry!

Gan.
    sigh... good for u...

visited aquarama on both days. only manage to get 20 cories and ton of photos.

this year the is not as good as 2001.

i was wondering, how come no one send in killi fishes for competition?

Angel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If i'm not wrong, there's no Killies catergory right?
    The BBS from BCS is imported. Hatch rate is pretty good as well.

I think the Teo Way Yong promotion is good. $2 for a packet of fish is good but the fish must be damn stress. I was there all of the days. I waited till the last minute and spent all my money there on cheap and good bettas

I got my exhibitor's pass from my friend and paid nothing to enter.....
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    angel, what cories did u buy? i've got about 30+ species in my tanks and have bred pygmaeus so far. no luck with the fry but i can always try again :wink:

didn't see much fish for sale. only the usual livebearers (guppies etc.), albino bronze corys and some sterbai and the common bettas. nothing much this year. during the last Aquarama, i managed to purchase a beautiful sterba's cory.

oh yes, they didnt have a killie category and the corydoras category was simply boring. they didn't put in any new species. perhaps i should have entered my orcesi in it but they only accepted in groups of a species, not just a single specimen.. sigh.

Feedback Score
    i got 20 panda cories.

this year not as nice as 2001.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    oh yes, they didnt have a killie category and the corydoras category was simply boring. they didn't put in any new species. perhaps i should have entered my orcesi in it but they only accepted in groups of a species, not just a single specimen.. sigh.
    JianYang, if we can get our act together, it just might be possible for us to submit entries to the 'Killie Catagory' Aquarama 2005.

Even if we might be pitting against each other, it's a goal to work towards to, an incentive for good killie-keeping and garner support/recognition for killifishes (a worthy cause).

I wonder what criterias are used for the respective catagories... anyone know? Also, when you're referring to "groups of a species", exactly how many is that?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

Re: Aquarama 2003

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStallion
    Just went in there today.
    ... there's a booth selling decapsulated brine shrimp eggs like $2...
    Quote Originally Posted by Turaco
    Angel, are you refering to this? .....Was told to have 90% hatch rate. Tried out, pretty good. The bbs are very tiny, good for my beta fry!
    Sorry a bit late for this.
    Gan, what Angle mentioned was decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. These are non hatching type. To be fed as dry food. The process of decapsulating should be the same as what Loh and I did, however it was later dry kept dry to use as dry food. There are decapsulated brine shrimp eggs that are the hatching type, however they are “preserved” a brine gel and to use, just squeeze it into the hatchery like a toothpaste. I can’t remember which website I saw this product, all I could remember it is not affordable to me.

What you got for free is the brineshrimp eggs. Loh and Au both bought 1 bag of 16 Ounce bags. (I brought 2 bags) I spoke to the local distributor and he mentioned that this product is not for sale in Singapore, however he is willing to sell it to us if we buy in carton. It is much cheaper as compared to bring in the eggs from US. Average S$75.00~$80.00 per 16 Ounce bag from US.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    JianYang, if we can get our act together, it just might be possible for us to submit entries to the 'Killie Catagory' Aquarama 2005.
    I wonder who will be qualified to judge to Killifish. I hope not the same judges for Lou Han!!

Others

I was very impressed by the quality of the plant Tropical offers. I believe a lot of you will find $15.00 a pot of plants expensive, but I was happily shopping away (mind you, I am not rich!! But I don’t mind paying for quality goods!).

As you notice the plants offer by LFS are usually trim stalks from the mother plants, at times when you buy the plants the roots are not established from the stem yet.

The plants offered by Tropical is very different, though the plants are very young, the roots are all well establish! This is what you are paying for, modern technology of cultivating plants, call the Vitro propagation or tissue culturing!

I am trying to pick up this new hobby, however I have difficulties trying to get plant hormones.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score

Re: Aquarama 2003

Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1
    I was very impressed by the quality of the plant Tropical offers. I believe a lot of you will find $15.00 a pot of plants expensive, but I was happily shopping away (mind you, I am not rich!! But I don’t mind paying for quality goods!).

As you notice the plants offer by LFS are usually trim stalks from the mother plants, at times when you buy the plants the roots are not established from the stem yet.

The plants offered by Tropical is very different, though the plants are very young, the roots are all well establish! This is what you are paying for, modern technology of cultivating plants, call the Vitro propagation or tissue culturing!

I am trying to pick up this new hobby, however I have difficulties trying to get plant hormones.

Regards,
    From what i know about Tropical's plants. They plant the young seedlings into the hole drilled in the wood. that means the plant naturally grows on the wood itself. this requires lots of time and effort thus the price tag. but it's worth buying as the plant last longer and is firmly growing on the wood.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Gwee, good point on the Tropica plant. One thing is that they will see you the mother plant if you ask them for the price and if it is available. you don't see the local farm do that cause the mother plants is too valuable to most if not all of them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah, talking about Tropica. their plants were expensive but they were really beautiful plants. even their founder, Mr Holger Windelov was there and he was one friendly guy. :wink: anyway, i ended up buying this really nice coconut husk overgrown with java moss, anubias and java fern "windelov". really nice. worth every cent i paid. and the java moss that came attached and growing on the rock was really nice too. i've never seen a java moss this bright before. take a look at the coconut husk thingy.

[/img]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    yeah, talking about Tropica. their plants were expensive but they were really beautiful plants. even their founder, Mr Holger Windelov was there and he was one friendly guy. :wink: anyway, i ended up buying this really nice coconut husk overgrown with java moss, anubias and java fern "windelov". really nice. worth every cent i paid. and the java moss that came attached and growing on the rock was really nice too. i've never seen a java moss this bright before. take a look at the coconut husk thingy.
    that's a very nice piece. I'm sure my cories will love that just like you cories.

i met the boss before during aquarama 2001, he have very good customer service and attitude.

Angel