Thread: Do not distribute crossbred or aquarium hybrid killifish

Feedback Score

Do not distribute crossbred or aquarium hybrid killifish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I saw a post by Tony Terceira concerning about aquarium Hybrid fish. I feel that it is very important that we maintain a pure strain of killifish. I know this is very difficult, however we must try. I am not against anyone crossbreeding their fish in their own aquarium or at you own backyard. BUT please do not distribute them.

I sought permission from Tony Terceria before posting this post.

Hi All,

I am sorry to bring to the group some alarming news. Commercial breeders have now decided to play with killies.

You know the balloon mollies, balloon this and balloon that all of which are readily available in our LFS ... Well Singapore which has long been producing Flag Fish for the hobby have been working to produce a designer flag fish.

Listed as the Short bodied flag fish, it is now available through the commercial breeders. I can not think of the possibilities if these were brought into FL.

I have uploaded a picture of a male which arrived from Singapore. in the members Gallery ...............

Tony in Rhode Island

It is a shame that this hybrid came from our country (though I am not a Singaporean, I feel very much like one). I hope if non of us here will distribute these aquarium hybrid.

I have uploaded a photograph taken by Tony Terceria in my yahoo album. Please note that you are not allow to use this photo without the permission of Tony Terceria as the photograph is copyright

designer flag fish
    Photograph is used with permission from Tony Terceria
    copyright 2003, by Tony Terceira, all rights reserved.

I think our "Killifish Police", Ronnie will have comment on this.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Do not distribute crossbred or aquarium hybrid killifish

Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1
    I think our "Killifish Police", Ronnie will have comment on this.
    I do have something to say about this and thanks, Sia Meng, for bringing this to our attention.

I saw a post by Tony Terceira concerning about aquarium Hybrid fish. I feel that it is very important that we maintain a pure strain of killifish. I know this is very difficult, however we must try. I am not against anyone crossbreeding their fish in their own aquarium or at you own backyard. BUT please do not distribute them.
    Hybrids have been around for a long time... from goldfish, bettas, danios, cichlids (including the dreaded Louhan), guppies, discus, platies... and the list goes on. There's little we can do as a minority, but as killie-keepers, we can raise this awareness amongst ourselves and inculcate this mindset to fellow hobbyists in other specialties.

For the exponential increase of available hybrids, we only have ourselves to blame as we chase for the latest craze, trend, whatever, just to be part of the 'in' crowd.

My first killies from the LFS in 1997 were either 'hybridized' or 'aquarium strain' Fp GAR, but hear this... there wasn't a choice and I didn't have a killie friend to discuss things with or share my enthusiasm. A lonely unfulfilling path, at least not until I found the AKA and for me, that opened the window to the world of awareness.

I don't encourage distributing hybrids but a life is still a life, and whether we choose to cull it humanely, use 'em as mosquito control (in your OWN premises), or be a young child's 1st pair of killies... it's up to you.

My young relatives and neighborhood kids get those "aquarium strains", "little accidents" and "acts of forgetfulness"... and they're very happy to receive them. When the child comes back to me again and can prove that those 1st fishes are still alive, he/she usually gets something better!.

I sought permission from Tony Terceria before posting this post.
    That's very considerate. Nothing irrates people more than have their words or works to be quoted and have their fish photos used without credit or permission.

Tony's comments are blunt but his concerns are very real, and as long as their's a 'demand' for it, ethics are usually ignored by enterprising breeders, sad.

Listed as the Short bodied flag fish, it is now available through the commercial breeders. I can not think of the possibilities if these were brought into FL.
    ... but I can imagine the long term effect of a unwanted fad in our local waterways. It won't be long when you see nothing but louhans everywhere.

It is a shame that this hybrid came from our country (though I am not a Singaporean, I feel very much like one). I hope if non of us here will distribute these aquarium hybrid.
    How one interpretes 'shame' is subjective. Do what you deem best for one's hybrids, which can bring joy to a newbie but also scorn from dedicated breeders. How do you wish to see it?

Personally, I avoid hybrids like the plague and strive not to corrupt population codes, if any, and that's why they call it 'species maintenance'!. As this awareness builds upon the difference between 'then' and 'now', you have the knowledge, the power and the dream to make a vibrant killie-scene come true. <sermon mode OFF :wink: >
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee