Country
    Singapore

Tony Terceira

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

We have in our midst someone very special. He's the newest registered user here. Please give a warm welcome to Tony Terceira.

I've known Tony for some time now and he was the one who gave me my first bag of killifish eggs. Tony lives in the US of A and as far as killies are concerned, he wrote the book. Way back in 1974, Tony published a book called "Killifish, Their Care and Breeding".

Besides being very experienced with tropical fish, Tony is also an internationally renowned photographer. Many of his fish pictures have been used in publications worldwide. Currently, he's working on articles and photos for a CD.

Tony has a very nice web site at:

http://www.thefishwizards.com/index.htm

It was on Sia Meng's invitation that Tony joined this forum. I feel greatly honoured to have him as one of our members. Please help me to make him feel welcomed here. Thank you.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tony Terceira

Tony,

Your reputation precedes your presence to our humble meeting place and we're honored to have you here.

Most of us here are still at the summit of our goals, which is to partake in the conservation and distribution of killifishes in particular, within Singapore and hopefully, regionally.

I'm very sure that your experience and knowledge will make our journey an enlightening one.

Welcome aboard.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

hi there

hi Tony,
    nice to know that someone with so much experience will be with us.

I am sure we will be benefitting a lot from your knowledge.

Welcome
    Regards
    Lu RongSheng (RS)

Feedback Score
    A warm Welcome to you Tony!
    Like we say here on the Eastern shore "right pleased to have ye"
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Hi Tony!!

It is really great to have you here. I was really excited when you told me that you had already signed up!! I am sure we will have lots to learn from you.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HI Tony
    I've heard lots about you from Loh. Would have so much to learn from you next time!

regards
    Lyon
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tony wrote me yesterday and said he will be leaving for another state to work on something so he may not be able to post anything here for a while. But he promised to visit this forum regularly when he gets back. He also said he's working on a CD called "The Gardneri Album".

Knowing Tony, (he's been breeding killies for more than 35 years) I'm sure the CD will be of a very high quality. I don't know the details though so we will have to wait for Tony to come back and tell us about it himself. I would be interested in purchasing the CD. If any of you are interested too, please let me know about it and I will try and work out a bulk order with Tony.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    I would be interested in purchasing the CD. If any of you are interested too, please let me know about it and I will try and work out a bulk order with Tony.
    I'm game. Need I say more? :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    count me in..thanks
    Regards
    Lu RongSheng (RS)

Feedback Score

Thanks, glad to be here.

Hi Everyone, Thank you for the kind words, and welcome to the world of killie keeping I hope that I might be able to adds something to this great site and forum. I was just thinking what I might suggest to hobbyists in your area. First, remember everything you read is relative to the environment in which it takes place. incubation times are again relative to your own fish house. Incubation times can vary significantly. For example when I imported Fundulopanchax arnoldi, much of the literature state approximately 3 months.. Well using a technique I called "put it on a sponge"... I collected and store eggs on a damp sponge sealed in a container with a cover, you monitor the development and can get a good idea when eggs are ready in your fish room...... I discovered that 6 to 8 weeks was closer in time, and when eggs were wet, the hatches were great........... so, when you are not sure put a few eggs on a damp sponge to check development it may give you a good indication of things happening in your specific environment.

Good Killie Keeping Tony

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Thanks, glad to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    Hi Everyone, Thank you for the kind words, and welcome to the world of killie keeping
    Tony, it's such a delight to see you in this forum. Thank you so much for your advice. I'm intrigued by your "put in on the sponge" method. I think I will start collecting some Fundulopanchax eggs and monitor their progess on a wet sponge with pictures. It should make a good web page. I will give you due credit , of course.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    By the way, folks,

I have the prices for Tony's CD. Quite a few of you have expressed interest in buying it. I will raise this topic during the gathering and collect orders.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Thanks, glad to be here.

First, remember everything you read is relative to the environment in which it takes place. incubation times are again relative to your own fish house. Incubation times can vary significantly.
    Hi Tony,

I think some of the early killie keepers realized this the hard way since there's little reference on the web, pertaining to incubation times ranging between 28-31 degree Cel.

What takes months in cooler Europe and up north in the USA, takes considerably shorter time for the eggs to eye up here... an issue I've discussed with Kwek Leong many times.

Well using a technique I called "put it on a sponge"... I collected and store eggs on a damp sponge sealed in a container with a cover, you monitor the development
    I was experimenting* along similar ideas but had a few eggs going bad. A couple of questions...
    1. Do you boil the sponge prior to use?
    2. Is an antifungal agent used?
    3. Is the lid/cover of the container ventilated or closed? If it's sealed air tight to prevent eggs from 'drying out', does that mean opening it daily to allow for oxygen?
    4. I'm using a thin wrapping sponge, around 2mm, is this sufficient in retaining moisture for the eggs or is thicker sponge better?

For those good eggs, I must agree that the embryo development is very obvious since there's a contrast, between a darker egg and the lighter colored sponge.

Tony, thanks for taking the time to answer the questions as most of us here are still on the learning curve.

* While trying out different sponges for a soil-less grindal culture, it dawned on me that the capillary action in the sponge can be used to keep incubating eggs wet, similar to 'eggs-on-peat'. The covers on my containers have tiny pin-prick holes... even though I'm not sure if they were necessary. Incubating water is slightly tannic from a oak leaf solution.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

Keep it on a sponge

I have been using the sponge method for some 30years+, I explained the process in my book in 1974.

I use a synthetic spong available just about anywhere, I cut them in pieces to fit a small container . they are then boiled and used, I simply soak them with water from the parents tank. Nothing special at all, I ame sure the sponges are almost dry, not very wet. I cover the small container with plastic wrap, clear so I can see through the top. they are stored at approx 75 degrees, the ambient temperature in my fish room. Away from directly light......... I check the eggs every few days, just to get an idea of development. I do not use this techniques as a method to incubate eggs, but rather observe and answer questions about species that I am not confident in. It is a simple suggestion to get an idea of what is happening in your environment, it has helped me over the years.

Tony [/quote]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Keep it on a sponge

I have been using the sponge method for some 30years+, I explained the process in my book in 1974.
    Tony, I think that's indicative of how backwards we are, as far as our experience in killie-keeping is concerned.

If the book is presently still in print, perhaps you and Kwek Leong can work something out, together with the CD, for the knowledge-hungry members here.

I, for one, would like to obtain a copy of the book for personal reference and will be absolutely delighted if you can autograph it for me. Thank you.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Keep it on a sponge

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    If the book is presently still in print, perhaps you and Kwek Leong can work something out, together with the CD, for the knowledge-hungry members here.
    Tony,

If the book is still in print, I wouldn't mind getting one for myself too. Besides Ronnie, another forum user here has also expressed interest in your book through private message.

Please let me know the prices through private email and I will collect orders during our gathering on the 29th. Thank you.

Loh K L