Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Eggs Disappeared In Peat Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I had collected some eggs from my RAC and also from my RUB. I bought all from AU and Sia Meng. To my surprise all of eggs are not in the peat anymore, i think its becos the peat is too dry. Does anyone here could enlighten me on what to do done? I am sorry to trouble Au and Sia Meng if they have anymore killi fish eggs or fries to sell. The problems i faced i could only ask them because i only have their contact number and most of the time i am in camp (NSF).

Even though i did not succeed i hatching the eggs and all of my adult had died. I am still willing to keep trying till i succeed. I am trying to get more killifish eggs and fries so that i could rear them in camp as i spent most of the time in camp which is in Pulau Tekong. The only way i could communicate with the killifish lovers is only by SMS or through forum which is on Sat or once ever fortnight. I hope that people don't find me irritating becos i am really interested in killifish even though i had failed in it.

Thanks guys, especially Au, Sia Meng and Gan who had impart the knowledge to me. I will still keep trying to keep the killifish's ambition going in me.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You rear them in camp? Not afraid of "Stand by Bed"?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pohsan, i keep platies, tiger barbs and a big crayfish at camp. and its my platoon's tank. i don't think the army has any specific rules regarding the rearing of fish in camp.

inspirational, good try. hope it gets better for u. :wink: just for our info, is it actually okay for u to keep fish at Tekong
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry, I asked because a platoon tank is something new to me. I actually thought he keep killies inside the bunk . Excuse me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jiufu,

I would suggest you go ahead and wet the peat even if you can't find any eggs inside. There could be eggs there but you didn't see them. Developed eggs are harder to find than fresh ones because they take on the colour of the peat.

I'm not sure about this but eggs could disappear if they were attacked by fungus. It may not necessarily be that your peat is too dry. Peat that is too wet would encourage fungus to grow. For some strange reason I cannot fathom, some breeders here seem to be very successful with the Nothos although they don't seem to be doing anything different. Lily showed me a bag of peat the other day that has so many Notho rubripinnis eggs you can't see the peat but the eggs. Incredible but true!!

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eggs Disappeared In Peat Moss

Quote Originally Posted by inspirational
    all of eggs are not in the peat anymore...
    Jiufu,
    If you are getting eggs from 2 of our very experience guys & none hatch, I would think your eggs are probably baked in Tekong .

Try keeping them for another few weeks & wet again. I had wetted my RAC eggs for 5 times with hatches months after due date.

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by turaco
    If you are getting eggs from 2 of our very experience guys & none hatch, I would think your eggs are probably baked in Tekong .
    Gan,

Au and Sia Meng are such good killifish breeders their bags of peat contain many eggs and they don't disappear. Unwittingly, you may be doing quite a bit of damage to their reputations by suggesting otherwise. Next thing you know, you could be slapped with a lawsuit

Jiufu didn't state so exactly but I believe he bought the adult fish or fry from Au and Sia Meng. Jiufu's disappearing eggs were his own.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    jiufu, like turaco, i think them eggs were baked in tekong's odd weather. even the temperature is slightly off kilter at times. in comparison with the mainland, i think tekong's weather is really terrible.

pohsan, ahh, yes the idea is quite hard to accept at first. i was surprised my staff sgt actually wanted to set up a tank at camp. anyway, i for one wouldn't keep my fish in the bunk. there is certainly no way a pet fish will get through a bunk inspection. :wink:
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Unwittingly, you may be doing quite a bit of damage to their reputations by suggesting otherwise...
    Jiufu didn't state so exactly but I believe he bought the adult fish or fry from Au and Sia Meng. Jiufu's disappearing eggs were his own.
    Loh K L
    Arrgh!! What I thought was Jiufu got GOOD eggs from them but those eggs disappear due to the hot weather in Tekong. My apology to Au & Sia Meng if I've caused any damage to your reputations

I had got eggs from one of them & it's definitely fertile one!

Gan.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The eggs that Jiufu has was collected from his own fish. I don't remember niether do Sia Meng or myself sell any eggs to him. After a few unhappy incidents with our local hobbyists, we somehow stop selling any eggs to hobbyists here. But we're still willing to exchange with those how we know them in person.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Jiufu,

I thought Sia Meng had already answer to your questions via SMS!

We can't attend to you guys through SMS as we also have our work and family to attend to. Worst still, I've 2 kids and too many killifish to handle! So I suggest you guys post your questions here and a handful of experienced hobbyists here will willingly give you a helping hand :P

I think you have neglected your fish and that's why they choose to leave you early If you have your tank water change and wash the filter every week, usually killifish in the breeding tank will live for quite a long period. I've a male Simp. picturatus that is still in my tank for 7 to 8 months. Can you believe, I've collected a few thousand eggs from just the pair itself

The eggs that you collected may not be fertlized. All unfertlized eggs will fungus and on the second week, they will disappear from the peat! That's why I usually start to pick the eggs after 1 week. For you info, based on my own experience, the fertlized eggs will only die off and disintegrate when expose to the temperature more than 36Deg C for more than 4 hours. I maybe wrong but this is what I concluded from my tests.

Like what Loh had mentioned, wet the peat again and only after the 3rd wetting, you can then safely conclude that there is no egg in the peat.

I like your positive attitude and determination. For that, I'll pass you a bag of Simp. magnificus eggs if you turn up on the 29 Nov. Never give up on whatever things you started halfway. You're consider defeated when you give up but if you continue to try, you're halfway to the road leading to success!
    Au SL

Feedback Score

My apology to Au & Sia Meng if I've caused any damage to your reputations
    Don’t worry about damaging my reputation. I don’t have one anyway.

It may not necessarily be that your peat is too dry. Peat that is too wet would encourage fungus to grow.
    I use peat moisture to control the wetting date. If I want to wet my peat earlier, I keep in wetter peat. I had ever incubate 10 rachovii eggs in 100% dry peat, 8 fry hatch.

If you are getting eggs from 2 of our very experience guys….
    Eeer I am not an experience breeder. I started keeping killifish a 8~10 months back. Infact to me, killifish is considered the first fish I ever bred. Even though I had bred betas before, it was for the purpose to experience fry raising before I bred killies.
    Infact when I first heard the word killifish was from Turaco. I think he said this when I met him at MacDonald (Tiong Baru) ”I have neglected my planted tank. I am into killifish now, fattening up the fish. I will be going to timebomb’s place after meeting you.” Turaco, can you remember this?

Ok back to our topic on Why eggs disappear?
    Unfertile eggs, this is quite common especially true for [i]N. sp. aff. rubripinnis [/[I] and N. eggersi (Blue) However rubripinnis lay lots of eggs thus even if they fungus, there should have quite a number left. By the way their eggs are much smaller than any other Nothos eggs we have here. You might have missed them.

What I usually do…
    I am usually not very excited when I see many eggs during collection. Like Au, I will usually check for eggs a few days later. I will pack the peat in a ziplock with air (lots of air) and allow the unfertile eggs to be in contact with the air. The eggs will fungus and disintegrate in the peat. For Au, he will pick the eggs after this stage. As for me, being lazy will only check if there are sufficient eggs, if not I will dry the peat further as to delay development of eggs. This will allow the later batch to catch up in order to wet the earlier batch with the later. I hate to take care of a small number of frys. (that is why I have not been a fan of non annuals)

You might notice most people on the Aquabid sell eggs in small quantity, eg. 30 eggs. The reason why these eggs are more expensive is the eggs are handpick after most the unfertile eggs have fungus. The seller is usually very confident that their eggs will hatch. (not the case for non annual)

The eggs might not have disappeared….
    You might not experience to tell eggs from peat. The eggs might be there all this while, but you can’t find them. It took me months before I could see eggs. (perhaps I am slower).

Eggs from the South American Group (SAA) are generally “stickier” than the Nothos. If breeding media like peatmoss are used, the chances are you might not see the eggs. The finer peat particles will stick to the eggs. Thus it becomes almost impossible for you to find their eggs.

Initially I have doubt if my magnificus really lay eggs at all as I couldn’t find their eggs. I replaced the peat with a breeding mop, after a few days I found the eggs on the mop. After this confirmation, I revert back to peatmoss.

Now I am using coconut coil (or coco peat). Coconut coil is more granular as compared to peatmoss and makes finding eggs easy. However according to Au this is not a good media for eggs incubation as it is more difficult to control the wetness of the peat.

I think i better stop before i go out of point.

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Ooops, my apology. When I was typing the post above, Au haven’t made the post yet. Sorry for repeating some points Au had posted. I guess I am really a slow typist.

Loh, do you think i should remove my post?

I thought Sia Meng had already answer to your questions via SMS!
    Lim, you are very “lucky”, happened that when you messaged(MSG) both of us, Au was at my place.

It is not that i am reluctant to answer you MSG, I am really poor at meddling with my mobile. Though my age might belongs to the “thumb group”(MSG Group) but trust me I am really lousy at it. I ever asked my friend a stupid question like “what is this little “U” stand for???”

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1
    Loh, do you think i should remove my post?
    No, you don't have to. It's good to hear different opinions although sometimes they are the same

So you are not going to sue Gan? You should, you know. You can take away all his killies as compensation for damaging your reputation, even though none existed in the first place

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can take away all his killies..
    That will be the worst nightmare How can I live without killies! On second thought, maybe Mr Loh is eyeing on my Chrom alpha .

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    On second thought, maybe Mr Loh is eyeing on my Chrom alpha .
    Gan, Kwek Leong may not be eyeing them... but I am!!
    Have you started breeding the Chrom?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Have you started breeding the Chrom?
    Ronnie! I think they're still young kids less then a month old!

The fry have yet to reach their puberty stage!!!!
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry guys for the late reply, i had just came back from my camp. Actually, i got fry from Au and Sia Meng and not eggs. I feel grateful that people in killies.com is helpful in answering my questions and offer help when needed. Its not that i don't want to post on the forum but is just that i got no time to monitor it as its almost a week since i had last visited the forum because i am busy in camp.

I am an instructor in Tekong and thats the reason we are allowed to keep fish in camp. Tekong have everything including computer but with no internet connection. Instructor's life not that easy after the three recent army incident that had happened.

Guys, i think i will be going for the gathering if i can book out and no regimental duties for me on the 29th. Thanks guys!!!