Country
    Singapore

Hello Everyone

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum and I hope to learn more from you all. I'm also from AQ and found this forum by clicking one of the links.

I'm currently having a 3ft planted tank with cardinals and discus. Here's a picture of my tank and discus pair. Hope to receive some comments on it, whether good or not so good...

My discus pair spawning on the surface skimmer...

Thank you everyone!
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score

Hi!

Hi Kevin! I hope I'm inclined to say welcome, I'm new here too. I'll be the first to say that your tank is beautiful! I've never had much luck with the plants in my tank so mine looks nothing like yours. What plants do you have in there? As for the discus...they are gorgeous!

Heather

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Heather! You're too kind...

Well, I've had my tank set-up for about 8 months now. The problem with me is that I have itchy fingers hehehe... I love to rearrange the layout and change the plants every once in awhile...

This is the latest layout and its been with me for about 2 months plus. The plants I'm having now are

- Echinodorus tenellus
    - Blyxa Japonica
    - Nuphar Japonica
    - Green Tiger Lotus (still a plantlet)
    - Red Tiger Lotus
    - Red Lotus (Nymphaea Rubra i think)
    - Hairgrass
    - Aponogeton Ulvaceus

I have 144 watts of light for 50 gallons for 9 hours a day and co2 is 1 bubble per second. Hope this helps. Thanks for the comment Heather!
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello to you too, Kevin.

And welcome to the forum. Your tank is lovely and I can see that you are quite an experienced hobbyist. It's always difficult to keep Discus in a planted tank but if yours are spawning in the tank, you must be doing it right. Did you succeed in raising the fry? What are you feeding the adult fish? Do you feed beefheart?

I also like to know what's the temperature of your tank like. I've heard that they say Discus prefer warmer waters while plants usually do better under lower temperatures. How do you overcome this problem?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you for the welcome Mr Loh! Glad to be here!

I'm not really an experienced hobbyist but I try to strive to becoming one hehehe...

So far my pair has spawned 4 times in my tank but no successful hatchings. Thats why I'm beginning to suspect that my pair has the same sex - female...

I'm currently feeding them bloodworms and tetrabits, sometimes brine shrimp just for a little variety. I do feed them beefheart but only once every fortnight just before I change 50% of the water because the beefheart can really foul up the water column.

As for the temperature I guess its just luck. My tank temperature is always around the 27 - 30 degrees range without fans. I think thats about in the middle of the temperature range that the Discus and plants can tolerate...

Feedback Score
    Kevin,
    Do the eggs turn white after 24hrs? If not, the problem may be in that the other fish eat them.
    I have angels that spawn but the other fish always eat the eggs,even with both parents watching, Those blackshirt tetras know how to do though,they slip in and out as fast as bullets. So I need to take the eggs out if I want to raise a batch.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    So far my pair has spawned 4 times in my tank but no successful hatchings. Thats why I'm beginning to suspect that my pair has the same sex - female...
    That is possible. With Discus, it's hard to sex the fish and sometimes, even the fish themselves don't know. 2 females are known to lay eggs thinking the other is a male.

But considering they have spawned so many times in your tank, my guess is you have a pair. At temperatures of 30 C, Discus eggs hatch in about 48 hours. I suspect your pair are eating the eggs and they usually do that at about 40 to 45 hours after laying them. 8 days after eating their own eggs, Discus will spawn again. Just like female Nothos, they are prolific egg-laying machines too.

There's a reason for everything and in the case of adult Discus eating their own eggs, it's usually because the parents think the eggs are in some sort of danger from a predator. So instead of letting the eggs get eaten by some other fish, the parents will eat the eggs themselves. It's a matter of survival. The fish don't think it's a good idea to let a predator eat all the nutritious eggs. But it can be habit-forming. Discus which eat their own eggs are known to keep doing so with subsequent spawnings even if there's no other fish in the tank.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Debbbear,
    I don't even have the time to see if the eggs are white. Usually by the time I come home from school the eggs are gone...
    I don't think I should move the eggs but I don't know how to protect them. My guess is that the Cardinals are eating them...

Hi Mr Loh,
    maybe I should put a wire mesh to protect the eggs? But I'm afraid that even if they manage to hatch they might still be prey for the Cardinals and Marble Rams... Is removing all the other livestock the only way to curb the problem?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kevin,

I have the same encounter on my discus's eggs. It lay eggs every week but they are gone overnight. I strongly suspect that the discus parent ate them during the night when they felt threaten.

Good effort on your tank! However, I can see that your hair grasses were planted in bunch. It is better, like KL said in the other thread, plant them in fewer strand but closer. See KL's tank's hair grass photo in the other thread.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    maybe I should put a wire mesh to protect the eggs? But I'm afraid that even if they manage to hatch they might still be prey for the Cardinals and Marble Rams... Is removing all the other livestock the only way to curb the problem?
    Kevin,

Wire mesh, used by many Discus breeders to protect the eggs from being eaten by the parents, don't always work. The eggs have to be cleaned by the parents constantly or they will all fungus. Removing all the other fish from the tank may help but I don't think you want to do that. It would, however, be easier to move the pair instead.

It is best to use bare tanks when breeding Discus. I've yet to see a Discus breeder keep their fish in planted tanks. Planted tank hobbyists claim that their Discus are healthy and thriving in their tanks but true-blue Discus lovers laugh when they see the skinny fish.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    fc,

I planted my hairgrass on the right side of the tank individually but as I got towards the center my back was killing me hahaha... Started to get lazy and I just clumped a bunch and plunged it into the substrate. Now I'm waiting to go to Bangkok in December to see if I can get some nice plants there to do a rescaping. Maybe look for some Turquoise Discus as well.

Mr Loh,

Your last sentence nearly made me split my gut laughing hehehe... True enough, when I saw some of the breeder's Discus they were huge! Like the size of a medium plate... I guess its the multiple beefheart meals and water changes. I think most breeders use bare tanks because it makes the maintenance easier. Just top up the water without worrying that the mulm on the substrate will be stirred up. Easier to see the progress of the growth too I guess...