Thread: My first expereince with Sim Magnificus

Feedback Score

My first expereince with Sim Magnificus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

Firstly i would like to thank 2 people firstly Gwee Sia Meng for the eggs and secondly KL for giving the eggs to me on my visit to Singapore during the Aquarama.

Well to begin with as to how i went about hatching the eggs firstly i read up the article written by KL as how he went about hatching the eggs of this fish seemed pretty interesting so i went ahead with this method as the eggs had eyed up.
    But i was really sad to find only 1 fry in the lot after keeping the peat wet for 3 days & adding the Oxygen tablet too.
    Then i dried the peat and put it in the Ziplock bag for about 4 days and was thinking of a way to hatch the eggs as they had all eyed up.

I again wet the peat in a long bottle but this time around put in an airstone and some microworms.
    To my suprise within 6 hours i found 25 fry :P
    And looks like there are some more eggs so am waiting for them to eye up so i can hatch them too.

Well hope this post helps to some extent in hatching Sim Magnificus eggs.

Dont know if anyof you on ths forum have tried this method on hatching killie eggs ,pls do let me know. :wink:

Thanks once again to Kl for taking me around to some of the great LFS in Singapore and puttting up with me.

Warm Regards
    Adip Sajjan Raj.
    India

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My first expereince with Sim Magnificus

Adip,

That's great news!! I'm glad you got fry in such good numbers. It's best to play safe and raise them in many trays. If anything bad happens in one tray, you will still have others.

The method you described sounds logical. Aeration should work just as well as oxygen tablets and microworms are good for force-hatching stubborn eggs.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Adip (I hope I got your given name right),

Very nice fish, I got the same but from Au. For my fish picture, see the "Planted Tank" forum and look for topic under "Magnificus enjoying planted tank".

Hope you have success.

Feedback Score
    Hi Adip,

Welcome my friend. Sorry i took so long to reply, i was "offline" for examinations and now "I AM BACK"

If I could remember clearly, there should be at more than 100 eggs in that bag of peat. I will not be surprised if they were about 200. So please wet the peat several times before discarding the peat.

Regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Hi Gwee Sia Meng,
    Well i havent thrown the peat yet, but thought of drying it again and wetting it after 2 weeks. I can see a lot more eggs which havent eyed up yet so hope they do.
    Thanks a ton for the eggs once again.
    Regards
    Adip