Thread: Fry ID: Clown or Australe?

Feedback Score

Fry ID: Clown or Australe?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I unknowingly discovered a small clutch of killi fries.

Actually i didn't spawn them intensionally, but i think they just spawn in the basket of java moss which is allowed to float in my main community tank. The tank contain 2 pairs of clown killi, 3 male Australe orange, 1 female Australe orange, several different types of cories, 2 sparkling gourami and some wild guppies.

i took out the java moss and left it in a container. two days later, i found fries swimming in it~!

But someting stumped me. among the fries, there's this tiny fry swimming among them. it is half the size smaller then a known australe orange fry.

so is it possible that it's a clown killi fry?

i sent the pictures to Mr Loh (Timebomb) to beposted here for comparison. (Thanks Mr Loh)

By the way, Clown killi spawn on mops or peat?

Thanks for helping

Angel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fry ID: Clown or Australe?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStallion
    But someting stumped me. among the fries, there's this tiny fry swimming among them. it is half the size smaller then a known australe orange fry.

By the way, Clown killi spawn on mops or peat?
    Angelin, compare your little fella with the pics in this thread and if it matches, it's a baby clown!

When view from above, clown killies have 'headlights', ie. a reflective spot on top of the head, just behind the eyes.

Clown killies usually spawn in and around moss (the pics in this thread, show ANNs making whoopie!)
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

Re: Fry ID: Clown or Australe?

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Angelin, compare your little fella with the pics in this thread and if it matches, it's a baby clown!

When view from above, clown killies have 'headlights', ie. a reflective spot on top of the head, just behind the eyes.

Clown killies usually spawn in and around moss (the pics in this thread, show ANNs making whoopie!)
    they do look like it... but no bands on the body... so still a bit unsure...
    but they should be way way smaller then Australe right?
    ****I Love My Fishies!!! Looking at them just makes me happy...****

Feedback Score

!

Here's the link to the pictures

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/s...on/killifries/

Hope this helps.

manage to finally figure out the uploading of pictures.

Australe orange fry

unknown fry

Angel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    angelin, i keep getting an error msg when trying to view ur pics. do check the image links.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    picture cannot upload.. no choice but have to use another gallery. somehow i cannot use geocities to link to here....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    angelin, viewed your gallery on Aro, can't make out the ID of the fry. doesn't seem like Ronnie's ANN fry. it could be a possible late developer among the australe fry. only time will tell. let it grow a bit bigger and then u can attempt to put an ID on the fry. pretty small to be sure of any ID. by the way, u weren't at the gathering?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    It looks more like a australe fry to me. usually, for clown killie's fry, they will carry the trademark (Strips) when born. At a glance, thay look black with a white head if i do remember correctly. As what Ronwill mention the 'headlight' is very distinct.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    It looks more like a australe fry to me. usually, for clown killie's fry, they will carry the trademark (Strips) when born.
    Ok... I finally managed to see the pic. It is an ANN fry, albeit very very young, probably 1~2mm! The stripes will develope from about 3mm. Angeline, you owe me a cup of coffee! :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh no I've make a big mistake! It should be the first picture not second picture. The first picture is a Clown killie fry for sure!
    I've not being sleeping well for the past 3 nights as both my kids are really sick
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    angelin, viewed your gallery on Aro, can't make out the ID of the fry. doesn't seem like Ronnie's ANN fry. it could be a possible late developer among the australe fry. only time will tell. let it grow a bit bigger and then u can attempt to put an ID on the fry. pretty small to be sure of any ID. by the way, u weren't at the gathering?
    Nope, i couldn'd attend the gathering. but... I REALLY MISSED OUT A LOT~!~! saw the picture of the killies during the gathering. So beautiful especially the australe gold and chocolate.

I'll be sure to watch out for the next gathering and drag Charles along... heh heh...

Angel

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Ok... I finally managed to see the pic. It is an ANN fry, albeit very very young, probably 1~2mm! The stripes will develope from about 3mm. Angeline, you owe me a cup of coffee! :wink:
    Yeah~! :P :P It's sure lightens up my day~! and the coffee... SuRe~! heh heh... ^_^ must really thank u and Au SL.

Angel

It looks more like a australe fry to me. usually, for clown killie's fry, they will carry the trademark (Strips) when born. At a glance, thay look black with a white head if i do remember correctly. As what Ronwill mention the 'headlight' is very distinct.
    Oh no I've make a big mistake! It should be the first picture not second picture. The first picture is a Clown killie fry for sure!
    I've not being sleeping well for the past 3 nights as both my kids are really sick
    Thanks for helping me, the new arrivals is a real perk me up~! ^_^

Geez.... recently a lot of people is coming down with flu and wheezing cough due to the rainy season i think. Wish that you kids get well soon, do take care of yourself too.

Angel

Heh heh... here comes more questions....

1) the headlight u guys mention refer's to the u-shaped pattern?
    2) The spawning method for ANN is similiar to Australe orange? or need certain modifications to the method?
    3) ANN related to Australes? Annual or non-Annual? thus what is the expected life span?

Hope this is not too much questions... I'm just booming with it in my head. =P i'm still very new to killi, thus not very experience yet.

Thanks a lot~!

Angel

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by "SilverStallion
    Heh heh... here comes more questions....

2) The spawning method for ANN is similiar to Australe orange? or need certain modifications to the method?
    3) ANN related to Australes? Annual or non-Annual? thus what is the expected life span?
    Anw to your question.

1) It's actually a very clear silver spot on the top of the fish.
    2)the ANN prefer to spawn on floating mop and better still floating raccia or java moss.
    3) ANN belongs to the Epiplatys group known as Epiplatys annulatus. They are non-annuals. As for their lifespan, I'm not sure how long they can survive.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Anw to your question.

1) It's actually a very clear silver spot on the top of the fish.
    2)the ANN prefer to spawn on floating mop and better still floating raccia or java moss.
    3) ANN belongs to the Epiplatys group known as Epiplatys annulatus. They are non-annuals. As for their lifespan, I'm not sure how long they can survive.
    Thanks Au SL. anywhere i can get a few more ANN? one of my male died for no apparent reason... are all Epiplatys so small?

also

i finally manage to really link up the pictures to the post so everyone can iew without much trouble. Hope this time it works.

Angel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think Clementi still has a few. i last saw them last week when i was there buying things for my corys. going down to Clementi now to get some supplies. will update if i see any ANN.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just a reminder, your pics hosted on Geocities will be taken off once the download limit has been reached. i'd suggest u move your pics to a photo site where bandwidth download are not limited.

here's one - www.instantlogic.com i keep most of my fish pics on this site. u gotta register for a personal gallery though. and do back up your pics on a CD or somewhere just in case something happens to the site or to your PC.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStallion
    Nope, i couldn'd attend the gathering. but... I REALLY MISSED OUT A LOT
    Angelin, so make sure you can join us next time.

Actually, it's more like the headlight of the Mercedes S Class! Nah... just kiddin'

It doesn't shine per se, but rather reflect. As said earlier, it's on the top of the head, behind the eyes, where the flip-open lid is located and the AA batteries goes in

What works for plant spawners will make do for the ANNs but they'll prefer floating plants, spawning mops and moss that's nearer to the surface.

Non-annual. Some confusion over which genus classification it's now under; either Epiplatys or Pseudepiplatys... but let's have the ichthyologists worry over it!

Life span? Hopefully more than the 2 weeks they spent in my tank but at least they left 2 frys for me :wink:
    Ronnie Lee