Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: what did we get at the gathering?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

what did we get at the gathering?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i thought i'd start a thread for those who got something during the gathering. here's a pic of my fulminantis. Au, thanks for bringing them down, they're simply beautiful. will try to breed them soon.

male Simpsonichthys fulminantis 'Guanambi BHS 95/12'

and ronnie, the microworms are simply exploding in numbers. today i checked the tub where they're housed and i could see them spreading on the new oatmeal. simply wonderful, because the last time i tried subculturing, they died. and that was a long time ago when i got my culture from a betta-keeper friend.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: what did we get at the gathering?

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    ...the microworms are simply exploding in numbers. today i checked the tub where they're housed and i could see them spreading on the new oatmeal. simply wonderful, because the last time i tried subculturing, they died. and that was a long time ago when i got my culture from a betta-keeper friend.
    Jian Yang,
    That's one nice pic of the Simp fulminantis and the MWCs will be ready when you decide to breed the Simp.
    This time, you can say the culture is from a killie-keeper friend! :wink:

For those who bought young australe fry(s?), they are sired by these 2 fellas;

Aphyosemion australe Chocolate. Big pic here.

Aphyosemion australe Gold*. Bic pic here.

* After looking at Tom's album, he has a Gold australe that looks like a Chocolate to me and Sia Meng's Gold is completely different!!

For comparison, here's Sia Meng's Gold version.

Big pic here.

FWIW, the pics are here so you know what they'll look like when the frys mature. Australes are probably one of the most hybridized strains around (so Rong Sheng, you'd better not mix yours up!).
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The second picture looks more like the orange Aphy. australe. Fro what I have, gold australes have no markings in between the 2 extended tails. It should be clear or white. Anyone care to verify this?
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Forgot to add this...

Fundulopanchax gardneri N'sukka. Bigger pic here.

Does anyone here has the Fp. GAR 'Baissa'?

The australe pics were taken with my new "photo tank" and the N'sukka pic wasn't. Alot of difference right? Anyone has nice specimens for me to 'shoot'?... Au?

No charges involved but must give me time... fishes don't do the 'catwalk' very well... :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie, u should get those small glass betta tanks that they sell for $8 a piece at most shops. i'm using one and i've gotten good results when photographing skittish fish. it was actually my girlfriend's office tank when she decided it was too small and proceeded to persuade me to let her have the spare curved-corner 1 footer. well, it was a good trade and the photo tank doubles up as a spare container for my aquarium medications and other stuff.

today i did a check on the film canister that the MWCs came home in and they're still spreading all over the inner walls! tough little buggers, and i thought they already conked out from the lack of air. the main culture has spread further this morning with several of them already on the side walls of the container. going to subculture several cultures once this main culture goes full steam on production

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ahh, finally managed to get the female to pose a pic. and that was just before she decided to scoot back into her java moss cover.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie, u should get those small glass betta tanks that they sell for $8 a piece at most shops. i'm using one and i've gotten good results when photographing skittish fish.
    I'm using one of those small tanks and have made some 'improvements' to it. Will post up the web page so that others can get better shots of their ever-swimming-here-and-there fishes!

Personally, the limiting factors for the pics I've taken so far is the entry-level camera and a fixed light source. The person behind the camera, ie. ME!, could also do with a large dose of patience! :wink:

today i did a check on the film canister that the MWCs came home in and they're still spreading all over the inner walls! tough little buggers...
    Jian Yang, considering that the original culture survived shipping from the USA, was sub-cultivated and distributed at least 3 years ago, I'd agree that these MWs are pretty tough! I wonder if they run on Duracell batteries! :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    patience is a virtue that not many of us have when it comes to photography. i too for one can get pretty irritated when the fish does not stay still for a moment for me to snap a decent pic of it. anyway, moved my pics to a new gallery - instantlogic.com, pretty good site when it comes to storing your pics.

and yes, i do think these MWs run on duracell, no no.. perhaps on lithium batteries! :P

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

the fulminantis have spawned!

whoopie! it's almost 3 am in the morning and i'm seeing my fulminantis pair spawning in the breeding bowl. found some old peat moss that Mr Loh gave me ages ago when i still had the Notho. kafuensis Kayuni State Farm. those guys are long gone. i simply could not believe my eyes. and to think i just changed water just a while ago. and the male dropped on the floor! surprisingly he's in the breeding mood now. this is just simply wonderful. now i can go to sleep in peace while the fish are doing their stuff..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: the fulminantis have spawned!

...it's almost 3 am in the morning and i'm seeing my fulminantis pair spawning...
    Jian Yang,
    Anyone who's still up at these wee hours, watching fishes make whoopie, really need professional help!
    I was digging around for breeding containers, so that the Simp constanciae can have a go at it. The trio just checked into the honeymoon suite and it's also time for me to get some shut-eye! :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You guys are too crazy... better think of your health and family .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Terry, i couldn't sleep. woke up pretty late in the afternoon so it more than made up for my insomnia. anyway, nothing beats the sight of seeing your fish spawn

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by sard
    Oh Terry, we do! Jian Yang is still single so I guess "domestic affairs" applies only to me.

Just not to let you worry, everyone has gone to bed. Duties like reading stories to them, etc, is done.

Crazy? urm... depends on one's point of view. I call it "passion" :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sard
    I think I am the craziest one here! When I cant sleep at night, I spent my hours with my fishes till morning, been doing that for many months eh.. Maybe I need a psychiatrist..
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Lily wrote:

When I cant sleep at night, I spent my hours with my fishes till morning, been doing that for many months eh.. Maybe I need a psychiatrist..

Lily, that beats worrying and freting in bed waiting for morning to come.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175