Images
    Country
    Singapore

egg incubation methods

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i have been thinking, are there any other methods that we have yet to discover? just for starters, i think the sponge incubation method is pretty neat. and a good one too.

Ronnie, KL, where did u guys get the thin pieces of foam from? i'd like to get some myself. could be used to germinate seeds of plants :wink:
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: egg incubation methods

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Ronnie, KL, where did u guys get the thin pieces of foam from? i'd like to get some myself. could be used to germinate seeds of plants :wink:
    Jianyang,

The foam was from Ronnie so I don't know how he cuts them into such thin slices too. But there are many ways you can incubate eggs. On my web page at http://www.killies.com/Breedinglyretails.htm, I show how you can incubate non-annual eggs on peat, coconut fibre or simply in water. Basically, as long as the medium provides for some form of moisture, I think any sort of medium will work. Even filter wool may do the trick.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KL, I noted that you mentioned something about using a styrofoam box as an incubator. Would the box need some form of ventilation? I'm going to use a plastic container to hold the eggs and peat. So I was thinking, if i'm going to use the plastic container, would I need to use styrofoam box as the incubator? Or just any old cardboard box?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jianyang,

If you are keeping the peat inside a plastic container, there's no need to keep the container inside a styrofoam box. The whole idea of using a styrofoam box is so the temperature can be kept constant. But take note that the eggs need to be ventilated once in a while. Without oxygen, eggs cannot develop so it would be a good idea to open your plastic container once a week and let some fresh air in.

Loh K L