Country
    Singapore

Frustration at fish shop not keeping to opening hours

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

just wanted to vent my recent frustration at a LFS in Bukit Merah, Singapore.

I went down to the shop at 3:15 pm. The opening hours clearly stated 2-7pm on Sunday, but the shop was not open. There was a mobile number to call which was clearly the owner's number. I called the number and received a response from the owner that he was busy with some other matters and couldn't open the shop. However, his partner should have been there and will be there soon.

While I understand that emergencies can and do happen, the fact is that this is not the first time that this has happened. My friend has also experienced this several times with this particular shop. While I was there outside the shop, I met another couple who were waiting to enter the shop and I could also see the disgust on their face.

My point is this: fish shop owners really should make it a point to make sure that their shops are open during the stated opening hours. Hobbyists also need to spend time and effort to travel down to the shop. As a commercial business, I believe opening the shop on time is the most basic professionalism that should be kept.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Boon Yong, my sentiments exactly. I've been through what you've been through so I kind of empathise with you. Perhaps they should be a tad more professional and at least hire someone to be there when they can't be around.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it's the shop that I think you are referring to, I had to go 6 times before I finally got in. that was last year. After that, I don't really bother going there anymore.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    If it's the shop that I think you are referring to, I had to go 6 times before I finally got in. that was last year.
    ... and I'm glad you guys didn't mention any names. :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    ... and I'm glad you guys didn't mention any names. :wink:
    Some of us do read the "rules" you guys put up you know. :wink:

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, after reading Benny's post, I did a re-look at the "rules". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing anything prohibiting the use of any LFS names in our posts.

Any yes, I've been following the defamation case on APD case, which is in my opinion, a stroke of very bad luck in encountering a malicious individual. However, I do believe that in posting responsibly (of course, that definition is subjective) by stating facts, I am not trying to defame anyone. Is there anything wrong with me expressing my opinions based on what I observe which are facts? In this case, I was expressing my poor opinion of their level of service due to their inability to open as stated, which I thought was nothing wrong.

Unfortunately, living in Singapore and the culture we are in, we tend to err on the side of caution, which is why I did not name the LFS. Yah, it's obviously against my principle which I stated in the above paragraph, but such is life. Maybe I shouldn't blame the culture, just no guts on my part.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeboonyong
    Actually, after reading Benny's post, I did a re-look at the "rules". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing anything prohibiting the use of any LFS names in our posts.
    Boon Yong,

There's nothing in the rules to say you can't name the fish shop but I would say you did a wise thing in not naming them. In any libel lawsuit, truth is the first line of defense so if you are telling the truth, which I believe you are, you don't have to be afraid of anything. But having said that, I would go on to say that we should always give everyone the "right of reply". But since the fish shop concerned is not in this forum, it wouldn't be fair to name them because they wouldn't be here to defend themselves.

What are "facts" to you may not be the same to the other party. In your post, you implied that the fish shop was being unprofessional because they rarely stick to their opening hours. You also said a couple you met there were just as disgusted as you were. If you ask me, these 2 points would be quite hard to prove should the fish shop owner sue you and you have to prove your case in court. You would have to summon the couple as witnesses and you would also have to bring out enough witnesses to say they suffer similar bad experiences. That would be tough.

It's always good to err on the side of caution and give them the benefit of the doubt when we talk about fish shops because to us, it's just a hobby but to them, it's a livelihood.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    to us, it's just a hobby but to them, it's a livelihood.
    well said. Putting myself in their shoes, I would certainly hope the customers would be more forgiving.

I suppose customers would be forgiving too so long as they see that the owners are really trying. Which is why I'll be going down again to give them the benefit of the doubt. (will make sure I call them before hand though... )
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeboonyong
    will make sure I call them before hand though...
    That's a very good idea.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Down here, we are fortunate enough to have hundreds of fish shop to choose from. So, it is for the shop owners to decide how they should compete and for their customer to judge their efforts in term of shop location, service, range of products, pricing, etc. That would eventually determines their survivorship. So, need not fret about it, he has got to learn, in due time, what you want as a customer and win over.