Hi, folks,

Someone sent me these questions through private messaging. I feel such questions should have been asked on the forum so I will try to answer them here.

Hi MR Loh,
I am one of the 5 lucky guys who managed to get the downoi plant at the gathering. My plant had grown in size and is healthy too. I tried to search for the plant growth on the net but unable to find any. I would like to get some info from you:
1) How does the plant reproduce (increase in number of plants)?
2) How to I make it to reproduce? FYI, my plant hand increase in size & is
developing some roots midway along the stem.
3) Condition of my tank: PH 6.8, KH 4 temp 25.5-27C (24hrs fan).
Is that OK? I had earlier plant in in 4ft tank but had tranfered it in to 2ft
tank with 55W pl 6000K with 2bps CO2.
Hope to get the above info from you & also any other info that I should know.
BTW, my erect moss is growing well on driftwood in my 4ft tank. I really appriciate you for bringing both downoi & erect moss to the gathering.

Thanks & regards,

The Downoi reproduces itself by throwing out new stalks from the main one. It's something like a stem plant. If your Downoi has increased in size, chances are it should be throwing out some new stalks soon. If you want to have many of them in a short time, cut off the new stalks as they appear and plant them separately. Your water parameters seem okay but I'm not much into the technical details so I can't be sure. Take note that the Downoi is very sensitive to new water. Whatever you do, don't wash it under a tap and don't put it into a new tank. It will melt if you do either of these 2 things.

Loh K L