Country
    Singapore

I need to tickle your brain... killie rack

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,

I'm about to pick up a used solid wood rack with custom 4 feet tanks and desperately need ideas for partitioning, plumbing, air-supply, filtration and easier maintenance.

The 4 tier setup will concentrate on breeding and raising of young frys. Flow through or centralized overflow/sump filtering is being considered.

The duty of display tanks will be taken over by my other tanks.

Page is at;
    http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi...ieTankRack.htm

I'll be busy at home after 5pm and if anyone wants to pop by to give some ideas, call me.

Bye for now (gonna pick up tanks)!! yeeehhaaa!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, if you don't want fish/fries from one partition to get into another, perhaps can consider the tiering method used by Plantas. So, divide your 4-feet tank into 1-ft partitions using acrylic panels (without holes), each one slightly shorter than the previous, such that you have a cascade across the 4 four partitions until you reach the overflow pipe at the last one.

The danger would be disease spread if every tank is sharing the same water.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Ron, if you don't want fish/fries from one partition to get into another, perhaps can consider the tiering method used by Plantas. So, divide your 4-feet tank into 1-ft partitions using acrylic panels (without holes), each one slightly shorter than the previous, such that you have a cascade across the 4 four partitions until you reach the overflow pipe at the last one.
    Choy, I've completed the plumbing for the air supply manifold, similar to those seen in LFS and will be collecting my glass partition panels tomorrow morning. I chose glass as it was cheaper and that it doesn't become hazy over time.

There'll be no holes in the 3mm glass panels but the lower edge of the panel will be off the tank's base by half an inch. This open space will be filled by a layer of coarse blue sponge, while the sides will have a 'gasket' of rubber*, which will prevent both adult and frys from slipping through. *Split one cut along the length of a air tubing and wrap this around the edge of the glass.

Water will move from one 'compartment' to another through the sponge at the bottom.

As for the cascading panels, water will generally find the path of least resistance, which should either be through the sides or bottom since the gaps are not silicon sealed. So how will the water flow cascade from higher to lower?

The danger would be disease spread if every tank is sharing the same water.
    I'm quite aware of that and my best insurance is to maintain good water condition. In addition to the sponge filter in each 'compartments', I'm looking at a lower maintenance sump design.

In short, I want good water with minimal maintenance (I think I'm getting lazy ).
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ronnie, actually the idea was to silicone the partitions at the sides and bottom too. But your idea would work too except for dirt getting trapped at the sponge. Why don't you simply silicone the sides and leave the slit at the bottom?

Actually to think of it, the two designs can be used for different needs. The cascading method will create less current through the compartment (water movement will mostly be at the top layer) while the "underflow" method would create a current flow. Depends on what you need. :wink:
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica