Thread: Thanks for the book

Feedback Score

Thanks for the book

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all

I hope you all had a good Christmas and that you will have a Happy New Year.

I'd just like to say a big Thank you to you all for the book (Aqualog New World Killies) you sent me. I now have all three of the Killie books so if anyone wants to know what a certain species looks like, give me a shout

How are the fry from the eggs doing?

Thanks again.
    Regards
    Tom

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Thanks for the book

Hiya Tom,

I don't know about the others but it was a great Christmas for me. I bought a used fish rack and wifey wanted to foot the bill, so she can stuff it into the Xmas stocking!... blessed are those who have supportive spouses!

Anyway, about the frys...
    Of the 2 boxes of Aphyosemion primigenium Kanda, won from auction at gathering on Nov 29th 2003, the first wetting initiated by Kwek Leong yielded 20 frys while the 2nd box yielded 4.

As of yesterday, when I started transferring them to the new tanks, there are 18 and 2 surviving frys, respectively from the 1st and 2nd boxes.

Of the 18, most of them are about 12mm in size and eating very well on daphnia, BBS and other home cultured live foods.

Strangely, the other 2 seems to be stunted in growth and are only 4 and 6mm in size although they hatched out some 5 days later than the 1st batch. Diet is the same for both and I don't understand the discrepancy.

Until the 2 fry catches up in size, they will be withheld from joining their larger siblings in case they end up being supper!

I'm glad that you liked the book, it's definitely a keeper. As for the shout, you'd be hearing one soon... or at least until my next bag of eggs arrive.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blinkytom
    I now have all three of the Killie books so if anyone wants to know what a certain species looks like, give me a shout
    Tom, would you happen to have a picture of the Fundulopanchax sjoestedti (VAKA) in your killie books? I tried to google for such a picture but couldn't find any.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Tom, would you happen to have a picture of the Fundulopanchax sjoestedti (VAKA) in your killie books? I tried to google for such a picture but couldn't find any.

Loh K L
    do you mean this? I google for the species and there was a ton of results.

(image from http://hem.passagen.se/keel/32.htm)

funny, the link sometimes work. follow the URL to the site but it is not in English.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I can't see your pic, Choy. There are lots of pictures of Fundulopanchax sjoestedt but what I'm looking for are those with the population code VAKA. Did you find any?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    quite possibly some of the pics may be VAKA but then not everyone is that fanatic about collection code. So, if you loan me fishes to shoot, I will make sure the code goes on the species annotation, in fact I would like to have pics of every reliably identified populations. :wink:

anyway what is VAKA? it isn't even in the BKA species database.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,

I wouldn't lending you my VAKA but they have no colours. They are still too young :smile:

The pic you showed is a Fundulopanchax sjoestedt but we are not sure if it's VAKA. Since it isn't stated, my guess is it's not. The fish, commonly known as a Blue Gularis has many population codes and according to what Sia Meng told me, they look very different. I'm trying to find a picture of what the VAKA one will look like when they are adults. I'm impatient and can't wait for mine to grow up.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    anyway what is VAKA? it isn't even in the BKA species database.
    That's why it's considered rare, my friend

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb

I'm trying to find a picture of what the VAKA one will look like when they are adults. I'm impatient and can't wait for mine to grow up.

Loh K L
    I'm as impatient as you are why bother, grow them well and we will have the first pic of the VAKA

With everybody's effort we can make this a solid site for the very serious (see I have upgraded your status, from serious to very serious ) hobbyist, with definitive population pics no one elses have

actually it doesn't seem too difficult, as far as I know my Rasbora vulcanus pics were one of the earliest available pic of the species on the Internet, possibly even earlier than RVA's.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KL, since the fishes came from killifishdavid, you could email him and ask him for a picture of the adult fish. He does have pictures of his adult spawners. That way you won't need to search the web for the pictures.

By the way, the VAKA is not listed as a population here on Tim Addis' Killifish of West Africa. Refer to this :
    Fundulopanchax sjoestedti
    The page shows pictures of some of the populations and history of its various synonyms. There's some info on breeding this fish as well.[/url]
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    KL, I have only ever heard of the VAKA strain from killifishdavid's auctions on Aquabid. There isn't a mention of them in my books nor have I been able to find a photo online. Do you know anything more about the VAKA strain? Like what does it stand for? The Aqualog book shows a USA strain, I'm wondering if the VAKA has any reference to the AKA and therefore VAKA is the USA strain.
    Regards
    Tom

Feedback Score
    Loh,
    I,too, could not find a VAKA location. I even looked on Killiedata online,I didn't look on killieflash that gives new updates. I'll look and let you know.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Okay just did a check on nationalgeographic.com for locations named Vaka. Seems that there's two places on Africa which actually share the same name. One is Vaka, Congo and Vaka, Zaire. Both locations are not within the known range of Fundulopanchax sjoestedti.

With reference to the following caption (taken from Tim Addis' site) on its distribution:

Coastal western Nigeria, Niger delta & the extreme west of Cameroon where they inhabit areas on sedimentary soils.

It seems that both locations are really out of the way. The eastern limit of the species is extreme western Cameroon. Both locations are further east of its known range. Therefore, I would say that the SJO in question could be the USA strain as pointed out by Tom.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i thought Zaire is the old name of the Congo?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    i thought Zaire is the old name of the Congo?
    there are two congoes, one is the Democratic Republic of the Congo while the other, right next door, the Republic of the Congo.

Feedback Score
    It is an aquarium strain. I heard David brought this fish back from Vancouver Area Kili convention. Thus VAKA might not be the collection/population code.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sia Meng, thanks for the bit of information there. I guess the word VAKA stands for Vancouver Area Killifish Association perhaps. Anyway, as to budak's bit on Zaire being the old name of the Congo, here's some bit of info as well.

1) There are 2 nations with Congo in their name - Republic of Congo, capital Brazzaville and Democratic Republic of Congo, capital Kinshasa.

2) Zaire was officially changed to the Democratic Republic of Congo when Laurent Kabila's rebel forces ousted former President Mobutu Sese Seko from power. (year of ouster.. i can't remember )

Therefore now we have two rather confusing nations.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    I guess the word VAKA stands for Vancouver Area Killifish Association perhaps.
    You're right as David had mentioned it to me when I first have access to this fish.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Initially I thought so too, but Vancouver Area Killifish Association is non-existence, it is Vancouver Area Killifish Club.
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Oh geez, if that is what VAKA stands for, I might as well call my SJOs "aquarium strain" fish. I can't help feeling disappointed that my fish does not have a real collection code. I think it isn't right that breeders attach names of fish clubs to the names of their fish. Next thing you know, I may even attach such a collection code to the killies I breed in my tanks - TRE for Towner Road Estate and then maybe a number like 08/324 for my floor and unit number .

Thanks for all the help guys.

Loh K L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast