Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: When is the right stage in development to send eggs?

Feedback Score

When is the right stage in development to send eggs?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

Ronnie's results from the A. primigenium eggs I sent over have left me a little confused. The eggs Kwek Leong wetted gave 20 fry whereas the second batch wetted by Ronnie gave only 4 fry. The eggs wetted by KL were collected earlier than those wetted by Ronnie, and were therefore in a later stage of development when sent. I have always understood it was better to send eggs very early in development but in this case it seems to be the other way round. As far as I can remember I treated both batches of eggs the same.

Has anyone else had strange experiences with this?
    Regards
    Tom

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tom, I have never sent eggs of non-annuals to anyone so I don't have any experiences to offer. But did you count the eggs in the 2 bags of peat? It could be the disparity is due simply to the fact that one bag of peat had more eggs than the other. Well, it's either that or I'm much better in hatching killifish eggs than Ronnie

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    KL, I wrote on the label how many eggs I'd put in each bag. I can't remember exactly but I think each one was at least 24.
    Regards
    Tom

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: When is the right stage in development to send eggs?

Quote Originally Posted by blinkytom
    Ronnie's results from the A. primigenium eggs I sent over have left me a little confused.
    Hiya Tom,
    You're not the only puzzled fella around. When I brought the wetted peat home from the gathering, I checked on it and found about 6 fry. Over the next 2 days, another 12 hatched. By the 4th day, the last 2 emerged, to a total of 20 fry. The last 2 were very very small and I suspect either they were too weak or they became lunch.

I have always understood it was better to send eggs very early in development but in this case it seems to be the other way round.
    I would have done the same and believe that to be the SOP.

I'm still at work now but I'll check on the labels again later, regarding collection date and see if there's any indication of egg count. FWIW, the peat are still in their trays and although I ought to recycle them into my potted plants, I remain somewhat hopeful of diapause eggs, which in my limited experience, are clear for up to 2 months.

Recently, for the 40 Simp. constanciae eggs which I sent to Qing Dong (in China), I went through all of them under a magnifier to ensure that they were viable before packing it into the peat. In fact, some of them are in later embryol development and I would also be curious how many do hatch. Even though this is semi-related and I might be comparing apples with oranges, the curiousity remains the same.

As far as I can remember I treated both batches of eggs the same.
    Has anyone else had strange experiences with this?
    Yes, it would be interesting to know of others going through this. Of course we can always try it again when the weather warms up! :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee