Country
    Singapore

Rivulus tenuis Tako Talpu

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

I took a picture of my Rivulus tenuis Tako Talpu yesterday. The pic shows 2 males. The fish were given to me by Lily Choo who bought the eggs from Karl Walters of Canada. I have about 8 of them but unfortunately, they are all males

I've heard many times from other hobbyists that the Rivulus group of killies are not beautiful. Frankly, I don't think so.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Good looking fish timebomb...but those are some bad odds 8 fish all males what is that 1/256...if only you got one more fry
    ben

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Rivulus tenuis Tako Talpu

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    I have about 8 of them but unfortunately, they are all males

Loh K L
    sounds like the perfect reason why you should loan me one, for you-know-what :wink:
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by brbarkey
    ...but those are some bad odds 8 fish all males what is that 1/256...if only you got one more fry
    Ben, that's one of the worst thing that can happen... one gets a decent hatch and they're all the same sex... bummer! Come to think of it and next to a no-hatch, an all-boy or all-girl team really gets to me.

Kwek Leong,
    Did you say that the RIVs are from Lily? IIRC, weren't all her Ap bitaeniatum Ojube-Ode from Karl also males? Hmm... looks like Lily is getting all the boys' attention!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by brbarkey
    Good looking fish timebomb...but those are some bad odds 8 fish all males what is that 1/256...if only you got one more fry
    Ben,

The odds of getting only males seem unlikely but it's actually quite normal for killifish eggs to hatch out in skewed sex ratios. It's something to do either with the Ph or the temperature of the water the eggs were hatched in. Au S L once told me that, from a batch of Simp fulminantis fry, he got only one female against something like 50 males.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    sounds like the perfect reason why you should loan me one, for you-know-what :wink:
    Choy, if you like, I can send you the original picture.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Choy, if you like, I can send you the original picture.

Loh K L
    mmm… only if I can see the scales when at 100% resolution

but honestly, if the pics are clear enough I would gladly not have to take them myself :wink: but I also want to make sure the best pics of your precious killies gets onto my photo-ID archive.

You can send them to my [email protected] account, this has 50MB space. If you have a problem I can set up an FTP for you.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica