Country
    Singapore

Dave's Driftwood

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

David Grim sent this picture of his driftwood. It appears to be a single piece but is actually many pieces glued together.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey that's an interesting piece of driftwood! David, how did you manage to join it so seamlessly? IMHO, it'll be great if there were more 'branches'.

The base looks like resin/acrylic set into a glass base... is it?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    RonWill,
    The base is casting resin only. The hard part is getting the wood pieces to stay in place when you pour the resin into the mold. I made this piece for a small 20" x 19" tank, specifically for KL's Erect Moss. It looks rather massive in the pic, but the branches are pretty small. This type of wood is not available in narrow widths in the US. It is excellent for tanks because it is beautiful in shape and does not rot or deteriorate in the water.

The arrangement of the branches allows light to hit everywhere on the piece, hence the circular arrangement of the branches.

I want this to look like an Erect Moss "tree" when it is covered and has some growth on it.
    Regards,
    David Grim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    David, resin alone doesn't constitute much weight, so how do you keep the wood from floating (which was why I mentioned glass)?

Quote Originally Posted by discusdave
    This type of wood is not available in narrow widths in the US. It is excellent for tanks because it is beautiful in shape and does not rot or deteriorate in the water.
    ... and what wood would that be? Is it dense, that it sinks readily and does it leaches lotsa tannin? Post us a pic when your 'tree' has 'leaves'! :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    The base probably weighs a couple pounds I'd guess. The wood is called "African Root Wood," so I guess it is from Africa. It sinks dry, it is so dense. No concern about it floating. It does not. No need to weigh it down.

Our LFSs get about two shipments of this stuff a year, so I guess the boat that carries all this wood from wherever in Africa it comes from makes two trips a year to the US.

I just placed all the erect moss from the tank onto the "tree." The water is a bit tea colored now, but that really is no problem. I've never had the stuff leach tannins for very long.

I'll take a pic of the new erect moss tree and send it to KL.
    Regards,
    David Grim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's a pic of Dave's driftwood after he tied the Erect Moss to it.

Is that Ammania in the background, Dave? They should make a nice contrast to the colour of the moss.

Congratulations, I think you are going to have a very nice aquascape.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Kwek Leong,
    That is ammannia in the background. The micro-tennellus in the foreground is the red variety. I have also changed out the substrate to Eco-Complete to see how black looks. There will be some Monoselenium tenerum in there also. I had a bunch of it, but moved it to my 240 so the SAEs and FFFs could eat some algae off of it.
    Regards,
    David Grim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    David,

Good combination of plants though I think the Ammania would look better in closer group.

Do keep up updated.

Feedback Score
    Hi Freddy,
    I pulled all the Ammannia from my 240 gallon tank. I will add more, but I need to wait until the plants in the other tank have branched more.
    Regards,
    David Grim