Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Found some moss growing on land

Feedback Score

Found some moss growing on land

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Found the following moss growing under a tree. Anyone knows what type of moss it is and also, can I put it in my tank or must I wait till it turns into immersed form?

The moss looks like its already in immersed form, can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lincoln,

can't view the pics. plants growing out of water will have a different form from its immersed form. some transformation will take place when you immersed it.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score

Re: Found some moss growing on land

Oops sorry, fixed the link already.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

moss

Lincoln,

I have been using moss that I collect from the land emersed form, and normally I will soak them for w few days and change water using the water from my fish tank... this is to ensure that there's no poisonous chemical that sometimes pets control guys use to disiinfect the areas or any diesel or petrol that the grass cutter use.

after that when I am confident of no more traces.. I will place them in my tank. I have made some experiment those that I place them at the flow of the filter outlet seems to grow better and faster than those that are not and they grow slower..
    so now I cultivate them but place them on wire meshes with net over it place them where the water outlets are and in two weeks they spread fast..

you can view mine here: http://www.nus.edu.sg/cfa/moss.html
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score

Re: Found some moss growing on land

Hello Rashid,

Just tied them to a piece if rock after soaking for 2 days.

How is the growth rate for the moss and also, will too much light kill it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    too much light wont hinder the growth, I dont experience any of that. Like I said in my previous reply. if you can place them where the water outlet from your canister you'll have faster growth rate, that's my observation.

As those moss are in emerse form, it may take awhile till they adapt to their new atmosphere, so have patience...
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    How long did you wait before you noticed any growth?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlic
    How long did you wait before you noticed any growth?
    Hi Lincoln, if you read between the lines, you'd have noticed Rashid saying, "...and in two weeks they spread fast.."

Personally, I have driftwood sticking out of the water surface and the emersed form are left growing on it. Those that reach the waterline slowly adapts and changes to the submerged "leaves", which makes the open concept tank more interesting.

I do take the necessary precautions in not introducing pests and chemicals.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Lincoln, I suspect the "moss" which you collected maybe a liverwort. However I'm no expert in this species, so I can't tell you the name.

Why I think its a liverwort. Firstly, moss leaves are usually simple in shape, a good example is the java moss. Your "moss" has deeply toothed leaves which is a typical characteristics of liverwort. Secondly, liverwort leaves have their leaves arranged in two lateral rows (this is evident in both pictures) while moss leaves are seen spiralling around the stem.

I hope my deduction is correct, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
    Jason Wong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wks
    I suspect the "moss" which you collected maybe a liverwort. However I'm no expert in this species, so I can't tell you the name.
    Jason,

I think it's a moss. I can't explain why I think it's so but I have seen enough to know a moss when I see one :smile: Anyway, intrigued by the pictures that Lincoln and Rashid posted, I took a close look at the emersed Christmas Moss growing on a piece of driftwood in my terrarium tank.

The Christmas Moss, when grown emersed loses it triangular shapes. Heck, they look just like the moss that Lincoln and Rashid found. Here are 2 pictures, one is a close-up.

The only difference, if there's any, is that there are many capsules (those brown comma-like stalks) growing on mine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Mr Loh and all,

It seen the moss is now all island. Think it come with the soil bring in to singapore. Cause i found all this most in Bishan, Sembaswang and AMK HDB area.

And i have collect a handfull of palm size and after this few days of rain, it growing very green and bushy.

But today when i go back to check i found them not so nice and abit dry.

Think best time to harvest is during raining season.
    Oh No. Moss price gonna be dropping.

Cheers TS
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lincoln,
    I called the moss that you found as "HDB" moss. I think Choy also found similar moss and he called it " Bukit Timah Moss". I think they are the same and are found everwhere in Singapore.

BTW, The "HDB" or "Bukit Timah " moss looked like the Willow moss that are being sold by Chan before you grow them submerged.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ts168
    It seen the moss is now all island.
    Yes, it seems like the moss can be found everywhere. I was working somewhere around Bukit Merah this morning and I saw many patches of the moss growing almost everywhere in between the grasses on a slope. Now that we know that this moss isn't just confined to the Bukit Timah area and housing estates, I would suggest we drop the "Bukit Timah" and "HDB" names.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    why are we surprised? moss and allied plants can be found through the world, even in the arctic. what is interesting is whether they can adapt to an aquarium.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I brought my camera along to work this morning to take pictures of the moss I saw yesterday. Up close, I discovered that there are actually 3 types of mosses growing wild all over the place. Here are some pics:

This looks like the moss which Teck Song got from a fish shop owner. It doesn't have pointed tips but its wavy edges make it look like Willow Moss or something.

This looks the same as the one many hobbyists have found growing all over Singapore. It looks like Christmas Moss grown emersed. Similar to the Christmas Moss that I have in my tanks, there were also many capsules sprouting from the moss.

Another picture of the moss with the capsules clearly shown.

This one didn't look like moss at all unlike I examined it up-close. I thought it was lichen at first but they have individual fronds.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    KL,
    Have you managed to find the moss man of Singapore, Dr Benito Tan? Now that his name is published in the newspaper, I guess he will be having a lot of e-mail and phone calls.
    We can learn alot of from him.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kc
    KL,
    Have you managed to find the moss man of Singapore, Dr Benito Tan? Now that his name is published in the newspaper, I guess he will be having a lot of e-mail and phone calls.
    We can learn alot of from him.
    FYI, Dr Benito Tan will be giving a talk next Friday, 6th Feb 4pm at SBG Garden Briefing Room. Unfortunatley I will be away ;-(
    Maybe you guys can attend and bring some samples for him to compare and ID.

By the way the moss I collected from my condo looks more like the moss that NA sells than Christmas moss. I will check out West Coast area in the next few days to see if I can find any other type of mosses like what Mr Loh has found.

The link below shows a pic of the moss grown without CO2 in a low light, low maint tank

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/gancw/moss/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what kind of talk is that? 4pm Friday doesn't sound like the kind of talk meant for the general public. anyway how can we register?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I checked with SBG. It's open to staff only.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kc
    I checked with SBG. It's open to staff only.
    The title of the talk is "Mossy Forests, Mosses and Moss Database".
    Didn't know it is not open to public. I was invited becasue I am a member of NSS Plant group. If any of you are really keen and willling to take half day off on Friday, I can try and see if I can get a few seats for you.

Gan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast