Thread: how to con my mum

Feedback Score

how to con my mum

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    HI,
    has anyone got any ideas of conning my mum into letting me get a bigger aquarium so i can keep and hopefully sucessfully breed killifishes. I've got the money, however she doesn't want me getting it because she thinks it will invole her a lot.
    thanks, fisherman
    Killifish!

Feedback Score
    Hi Fisherman,

Welcome to the forum, I wonder if you are aware that most of the members here know each other by name. We would appreciate very much if you can give us a brief introduction about yourself. REAL name, and Location.

Oh yes I wonder if you have took Loh’s advise on reading the Rules and etiquette. If not, please do so, each forum has its own rules and regulations.

has anyone got any ideas of conning my mum into letting me get a bigger aquari......invole her a lot.
    I think the word “CON” is not appropriate. Fisherman, it is not about the money you have, it is about responsibility and commitment. If you can show and most importantly proof to your mum that you are a responsible person, I don’t think she will object.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: how to con my mum

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman
    …she doesn't want me getting it because she thinks it will invole her a lot.
    thanks, fisherman
    …and she may well be right anyway I don't think you need a big tank to breed killifishes. How big is BIG anyway
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Fisherman,

I think you'll better readup more before you embark on breeding killifish. The concern is not how big the tank is but is how many small tanks can you afford to have. Moreover, it's a long term commitment so do read up before you start.

There are a fair bit of info on the main site www.killies.com. try to digest them first. :wink:
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Well, I think you need not worry about it too much as breeding killies will not need a big place. I use a small plastic tank to breed them and a tupperware with a big surface area to hatch eggs. Maybe you can use your money to buy a trio of egg laying killies, a small tank, bbs, marine salt, a small bowl for breeding and maybe a clump of plants which you might get it free from some of us.
    And I believe all this will cost less then a full 2ft setup. Maybe you can use the rest of the money and get yourself a good meal?
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score

Re: how to con my mum

Hi fisherman.. (Your name please?)

How I started with killies? Well . how shall I put it? It’s my son’s fault. He receives a male rachovii as a gift from one kind uncle here. Seeing that the fish survived for more then a week, uncle suggested he breed them. So he was given a pair when the first one died..

My son did not show much interest in the fish after that. I was so attracted to their colours and their behaviors and since then, I was trapped. Can I say I was conned into this? Guess I walked in to the trap under no duress..

By the way, you don’t need big tank to breed them, you can start off with a 1ft tank or perhaps some smaller plastic tanks. Too big the tank with not much fishes in it, might kills your interest. :wink:
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello there,

From your profile, your occupation is a student. That's great as at a young age (???) you are showing interests in the aquaria, especially killies.

I think nobody likes to be conned. I'm myself is a father of 3 boys and other parents - Lily, KL, Ronnie and others - can ascertained that no parents liked to be conned. We would rather our kids be truthful to us in whatever they are doing.

Anyway, everybody has said that killies do not need big tanks - especially to breed them. A 1ft tank is sufficient plus another 2ft as a keeping tank. Your mother worries is justified. Imagine you having exams and having all your frys to feed with all the water changes etc etc. She will then have to take over this job to ensure that the fishes survive. I think she has other concerns also.

Start small and show to your mum that you are responsible and that you are LEARNING something from the breeding program. I'm sure parents are reasonable people.

I hope I'm not boring you or putting you off from this forum by my preaching. The forummers here would want to see breeders - especially student breeders - have a good start and know what to expect.

Regards
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    on an alternative point of view, I am sure Fisherman do not intend to use the word "con" in the literal sense of the word, I read it as meaning "to persuade with a really persuasive reason"…
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    "to persuade with a really persuasive reason"…
    Hmm....if that is the case, tell her that you are gaining knowledge about life sciences, albeit there is no genetic mutation experiment taking place.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all your opinions!
    My name is Steve Black.
    I live in Australia.
    I am 14 years of age.
    My Mum knows i'm very responsible, I have heaps of pets and they are all thriving.
    I want you to know that my tank that I already have is a 5 galon plastic tank, at the moment I have red eyed tetras (5) and they are very happy. However I have recently come across Killifish and find that they are the best fishes in the world!!
    So I have gathered lots and lots of infomation about the killifish and find I like them even more!
    Recently I've been to my local aquarium shop and found a tank that catches my eye, it's a glass one that would fit perfectly in my room. I think it would do well as a killifish tank and my plastic one as a breeding tank.

Finally I assume my Mum might think that I have to much essay's and pets to breed killies as well.

Kind regards
    Steven
    Killifish!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    It maybe a big problem form you to get eggs from overseas hobbyists. It rather sticky to send eggs to Australia. I've send eggs twice and being stopped by the custom as any planted matter is not allow to enter Australia.

The only way is to hand carry the eggs. Alternatively, you can try to source from local hobbyist or aquarium shops.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Hi Steve,

Great to hear from you again. Are killifish available in Australia local fish shop? If not, you might face some difficulties getting killifish from oversea hobbyists.

It is not easy to sent eggs with peat content to Australia, as the relevant authorities will confiscate it.

BTW are rainbow fish native to Australia?

regards
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Well, firstly I've only ever seen a killifish at a pet store once in my life, if i remember correctly I think it was an Orange Lyretail male, just one.
    That was when I first got interested, though I've never seen any since.

Secondly Rainbow fish are native to Australia One of My friends keep them. They are Freshwater, coldwater fish.

BTW Does anyone happen to know what CO2 means??
    Because i've seen the word a couple of times and can't figure out what it means (some thing to do with plants maybe???)

Hope to here from you all soon.
    Steve :wink:
    Killifish!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    CO2, carbon dioxide, the stuff you exhale and fizzes out of cola, and which mad people such as planted aquarium hobbyist would use to fertilise their submersed aquatic plants.

Rainbowfishes are native to Australia, the island of New Guinea and related geological structures. I believe their natural range extends westward through to the Wallace Line, between Celebes and Borneo (i.e. no rainbowfishes in Borneo and westwards).

They are also tropical/sub-tropical in nature with the greatest diversity on the island of New Guinea and Northern Australia. The number of species falls as we move south along the Australian landmass. Don't think they occur in Tasmania or New Zealand. Hence they are not coldwater by definition.

THIS is an excellent resource on Rainbowfishes.

Feedback Score
    [quote="hwchoy"]CO2, carbon dioxide, the stuff you exhale and fizzes out of cola, and which mad people such as planted aquarium hobbyist would use to fertilise their submersed aquatic plants.

So, how do you obtain it and use it??
    Thanks Hwchoy

BTW At local Aquarium Shops in Australia they stock "Cold Water Rainbowfish"
    and in their tanks they are not in a heated room nor heated tanks.
    Regards
    Steve
    Killifish!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you have aquatic plants, you need to inject carbon dioxide so that the plants will photosynthesise better, thus improving growth. Normally we use a pressurised cylinder, similar to a fire extinguisher, and various associated gear which controls the slow release of the gas into the water. The idea is to increase the carbon dioxide concentration of the water so that the plants may use it for photosynthesis.

As for coldwater, depends on how cold is cold. Koi and goldfish, for example, are coldwater fishes. Most tropical fishes can handle water as cold as 20°C with no problem. Most natural waterbodies (except shallow stagnant pools under full sun) have a temperature of 25°C even when the air temperature is near 30°C.

Oh, do not pay too much heed to things being said in fish shops, with very few exceptions :wink: check out the link I posted, especially the section on habitat, and of course don't miss the fantastic pics.

Feedback Score
    Yeh your right Heng Wah, that is a great site.
    Thanks for all your help!!
    From Steve
    Killifish!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all your help!!
    Steve, I'm glad you found this forum useful. We can help you with information and all but it would be difficult for anyone here to send you killifish eggs. Your government has very strict rules (and with good reasons too) about live organisms being imported into your country. As far as I know, if they discover fish eggs or plants in the mail, your postal authorities would not only destroy them by incineration but also write to the relevant authority of the country where the eggs or plants were sent from to make a complaint.

Anyone who sends killifish eggs or aquatic plants to Australia can find him/herself in a lot of trouble with the law if the customs over there open the envelopes and discover the contents inside.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Well Loh K L, that really is a pity.
    Is it the quarintine rules??
    If so is their any other places were I could obtain killifishes (preferably Notho's in Australia?)
    Your Friend,
    Steve
    Killifish!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If so is their any other places were I could obtain killifishes (preferably Notho's in Australia?)
    For starters, you can look to your fellow countrymen for help. I ran a check on google and found this web site which should interest you greatly:

http://naka.killi.net/

Seems like the species of killies your fellow countrymen keep are quite extensive. I think there are easily 9 different species of Nothobranchius.

Steve, it's not that we are not helpful but it would be best if you get used to running checks on google before you ask basic questions. Search engines these days are very powerful and can throw up detailed answers to queries. If, for instance, you had done a search on CO2, www.google.com, would have thrown up many web sites describing this gas and why it's so useful to planted tank hobbyists. If you like to find out more about CO2, run a check for "DIY CO2, Yeast". Many web sites will show you how you can rig up your own CO2 generator for a very low cost. Happy surfing :smile:

Loh K L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast