Country
    Thailand

Not a killifish, but a blind cave loaches

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    http://www.siamensis.org/webboard/Webanswer.asp?id=1485

Maybe you guys will find these pictures interesting. They are protected species of Thailand.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow you got a scientific name
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    The 2 above is Schistura spiesi , the 2 below is Schistura deansmarti, they are from the same region. May even be the same species. Their differences are very subtle but I cannot say much since I havn't read the description papers yet.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mmm… can't find in FishBase.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nonn,

Just a couple of questions for you - Did I see the picture wrongly or is there some sort of a shrine near the mouth of the cave? Did you find the loach somewhere near the mouth of the cave or do they live in the deeper recesses where it's total darkness? I wonder what sort of food the loaches live on, considering that the water seems crystal clear, there's no algae to feed on and there seems to be no other or very little life forms.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonn
    The 2 above is Schistura spiesi , the 2 below is Schistura deansmarti, they are from the same region. May even be the same species.
    Hiya Nonn, you've got some nice pics and interesting fishes there, but have you considered having English translated pages at your site? It's just a thought... knowing that all of us need 36hr days! (24hrs isn't enough for work, family, changing fish water, culturing my worms, listening to LPs... well, you get the picture :wink: )
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    Hi yah,

The fish are newly described species, both in 2003, the fishbase probably havn't got around to get their information yet.

You see it right, there is a shrine in the cave. Many caves in Thailand are considered to be sacret places, so that are always some budha images, shrine, or even the whole temple in the area. It is good in the sense that it get people to respect the place, thus they don't disturb the animals living in there. But sometimes human activities do get over whelm and that drive the animals out of "THEIR" cave as well.

The fish -both species- live in underground water system, totally dark. They trieve on cave shrimp, insect, bat's dunk, and everything that get washed donw from the surface.

Hopefully, when I'm done with my Cave fish article, I will get it translated into English. As a fortunate few who get to keep them and watch them in nature, I feel responsible to get their interesting life history and bahavior out to the public. You need license too keep them here, though. And sorry guys, absolutely restricted for any export.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Thailand
    http://www.siamensis.org/webboard/Webanswer.asp?id=994

Fisrt 2 pictures up there are Schistura jarutanini, they are consider to be one of the "newer" species of cave fish, still have color picment and majority of the individual still have eyes -although we believe it is non -functional. The third pictures is cave brook carp -Neolissochilus subterraneus-. They live in the same under groud water system with Schistura spiesi, which I believe contribute to the large size -by any Schistura standard- of the S. spiesi to survive from this predatory fish.