Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Folks,
    I'm very pleased with the results so far, here's another combo

The cost of Eheim's lava rock media becomes prohibiting when we're talking of more setups, so I decided to try expanded clay pellets and bought a huge 50-Litre sack of it!

This time, a straight corner filter. The ends are cut slanted.

Through-view and top of sponge layout. Supports are from salvaged L-profiles.

A grey stiff L-profile lays across the tank's rim to support the Henri filter.

Large ventilation holes are drilled along the length of the OHF. Plastic mesh is used to prevent clay pellets from falling out. Two cable-ties help to keep the OHF in shape (from bulging)

Drilling holes throughout the entire bottom of the OHF gets tiring after a while, so I cheated. The tube extensions, sticking out, reduces splatter and noise.

I found half a bag of smaller clay pellets and decided to lay that first, followed by larger ones.

With the lower OHF filled, the clear 'Tom' brand tray now sits snugly (This clear tray does not sit squarely on all black OHFs)

Drip trough sitting over the clay pellets and dark grey gravel filled over the UGF plates.

Roughly planted some java fern into the gravel and letting the rest of the Egeria najas float around (the E. najas is very similar to E. densa except for the slimmer leaves)

A closer look at the two partitions here.

The rack in the study with another 4 tanks to be partitioned.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh... before I forget...
    Someone asked if the white casing (used in the earlier curved corner filter) looked ugly and huge.

To answer that, yes it is (to an extent). I could have painted it matt black to match the sponge but there is time constraint.

Of course, one can also use plants to hide and make it more pleasant.

A driftwood with anubias and a small clump of windelov does wonders (but I'm sure others can do better )
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron,
    Very well thought-out setup - absolutely well done!
    It's not coincidence that you have crystal clear water, with that ultra-low water flow per HMF filter medium area, you get good vertical sentimentation. And need no maintenance for more than a year, I believe and so long you do not mind the mulm on the sponge wall. Stick some mosses there?
    Why do you place the UGF plate there?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    Why do you place the UGF plate there?
    Freddy, the slow flow is intended and 'required' for the HMF to work over a prolonged period (as stated in links provided by Zul in earlier posts).

As for the UGF, let me explain...

The partition is not sealed all the way and has a 1.5cm gap at the bottom, enough to slip through the UGF plate.

On the right 'compartment', water flows through the gravel and UGF as per conventional air-lift designs, then under the partition and onto the left. However as water enters the left 'compartment', it becomes a reverse flow UGF and any sediment or mulm that enters the HMF filter, remains minimal. Hopefully, that will cut me more slack in maintenance.

Of course, that doesn't mean I need not do water changes!

You should try it some time and if you need help, gimme a holler.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron,
    You had gone too far...
    You just rigged up the mother of all filteration systems - HMF, Henri, UGF. Reverse UGF, OHF . Probably just short of one...external canister .
    You can (afford to) slack and still be ... forgiven .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by TyroneGenade
    Essentially he would take a lenght of electrical conduit (the white tubing), heat 1 end till soft and then slip it over another piece so the 2 fitted inside each other. This he would leave to harden. The bottom piece (that the 1st piece was slipped over) was then modified by having a circular ring/depression edged into it from which vertical depressions were then made running up. In the top piece a whole was bored in which a piece...

Tyrone, the present setups in the study steadies around 29ºC but it'd be nice to see a drop in another degree or two.

I suspect using air-lift, instead of small powerhead, might be the ticket but unclear how your friend does his (one that could suck up large bits of gravel!)

See if he can get some pics up. I'm game to try.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Folks,
    I've just completed implementing the Henri/MattenFilter filtration to the first of my 4footer. Largest project to date and probably will be the last 'pictorals' to be uploaded as I deal with some unexpected circumstances.

The rest of my tanks will be retrofitted similarly but no uploads, since they all follow the same guidelines. Those who are attempting the same thing should have more than enough clickable images to guide them but I should still be available to help with any doubts or construction process.

All the former killie residents were relocated elsewhere and the tank used to quarantine newly bought java fern, anubias and windelov ferns.

Medium porosity foam cut and ready to go.

A silicon gun will be much easier to use/control than dispensed from a tube.

=====================
    Nov 18th 2005

Tank will be partitioned into 3 compartments from right to left; 24inches, 8inches and 16inches. I mistakenly bought the wrong size of UGF plates but decided to improvise. This was how I positioned the glass partition prior to silicon application.

Silicon application completed for the 2nd glass partition and while waiting for it to set, I worked on the black plastic profile (bracing for MattenFilter foam)

I'm testing a hypothesis on denitrification and siliconed the foam to the back wall of the tank. (Don't ask me now. If it works, you'll hear from me )

A emersed pump will be supported over the vacant corner behind the curved foam. A short piece of plastic profile is siliconed to the partition (near top right of pic)

A jig made from scraps, will help square up the profiles for drilling. Cable-ties were used to secure a supporting frame for the emersed pump.

With the pump frame in place, another supporting frame for the drip trays was contructed and trial fitted. On the right side, I have 2 trays on the frame to check for available clearance.

=====================
    Nov 19th 2005

I used a quick-setting silicon and the next day, I started layering in the substrate. No one said I couldn't experiment, so 3 different materials were used; ADA Amazonia, construction-type gravel and Hydroton expanded clay.

In goes the plants while I decide how to rig up the water output manifold.

=====================
    Nov 20th 2005

The output manifold has two T-joints, each feeding into a 3-tier stack of drip trays. I was expecting water distribution to be problematic but decided to try it anyway. I have a 8-way drip-distributor and incorporated it into the design.

The distributor will drip-feed emersed moss and other plants on driftwoods, like a paludarium (sp?).

I was working with very limited space and to utilize 2 sets of drip trays, some modification was needed, like so.

Trial run of the setup. Checking for leaks and possible overflow.

I removed the previous 3ft single FL light and replaced with a 2ft 2-bulb unit. This will allow me to use threaded Energy saving bulbs, 13w and 5w (on the right).

=====================
    Nov 21st 2005

In the 3-tier drip stack, the lower 2 trays are modified with round vents for greater exposure to air and later filled with larger Hydroton clay pellets (instead of lava rocks).

A 2nd PL light was temporarily added for an overview and to decide what else to modify.

I should add that the results so far weren't too shabby.

I made an aluminium supporting frame to mount cooling fans and below this frame, there is a styrene guard to miminize water splatters. Hopefully this will prevent my 'Tornado fan' from premature rusting (more on the fan later). There are also splatter guards near the lights (electricity and water isn't my idea of fun ).
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, from the looks of it you're using ADA Africana, instead of Amazonia, which is very dark grey to black in colour.

Hitting 25 degrees Celsius is quite a job but my 3 footer suddenly went 23.4 degrees Celsius with no Henri filter. Its a really cold night but my plants and fishes aren't complaining.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jian Yang, the Monsoon season is a month late but it is finally here. Expect chilly nights... good for breeding killies and cuddling

Possible also, for tanks that receive good circulation, to hit 24ºC and lower. Then again, ambient temps determine how cool your tanks will be.

For the ADA, mine is from a sealed bag, so there's no mistaking 'Africana' for 'Amazonia' (layered at both ends of the tank).

BTW, Bill, I recall you looking for an alternative to rain gutters and this is a box-pic of the complete set (clear acrylic trays, filter floss, sponge and bio balls included).

It has an emersed pump that draws 10w but has good max head. Emersed also mean less heat being dissipated in the water column.

[Edit]
    Snafu with the repeat postings. WinDoze or forum server fell asleep with "No Post Mode Specified" & "Page cannot be viewed"
    So I tried again and again and again...
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ronnie, does it come in different sizes? Looks great!

Bill

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, 11 repeat posts. I've deleted the extras but you have to decide which of your 2 remaining earlier posts is the correct one.

That said, did you use a combo of Africana and Amazonia? Because one section of the tank is uncannily "lighter brown", instead of Amazonia's dark grey/black colour.

Your image below:

Left hand side is a darker black colour, definitely Amazonia, whereas from the centre towards the right I see an orange-type colour mixed with the lapis gravel. Either my eyes are going bonkers or you're using 2 different types of Aquasoil.

Nice setup, I'll have to go down one of these days and have a look-see.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    AFAIK, Bill, only one size available from this manufacturor. There are other brands sporting clear OHFs catering to 3~5feet tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Either my eyes are going bonkers or you're using 2 different types of Aquasoil.
    Colorful, isn't it?

Amazonia is on the left and rear right. The Lapis-like construction-grade gravel in the centre and the orangey stuff is Hydroton clay.

[Thanks for clearing up the mess. I have no idea what happened with the postings]
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, you can get fitting sets of drip trays at C328 at a pretty low price. I don't use any OHFs so I didn't get any. I'm dropping by tomorrow so if you want any, let me know. All of them are of a uniform size, transparent and they have the drip holes at the bottom already moulded.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok folks,
    Box pics of the Tornado fan I mentioned in previous post. It's a rotary design (axial rotation) with metal foil blades and betters 4" AC fans by a pull-down of at least 1ºC.

Psst... it's also very quiet but ssshhhh.... don't say I said so

Now let me go upload more pics and c'ya later.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Back again...

ok, this is where I last left off...

Two views of how the Tornado fan rests on a frame. I want full coverage over the length of the 24" partition (to avoid jumperers) and is secured with cable-ties (it's cheap, easy to work with and doesn't rust!)

On the other end of the fan frame, is an extension to cover the 8" partition. Frames are modular in nature, to cater to whimsical changes in design.

Since there's more-than-sufficient water lines from the 8-way distributor, I decided to rig a platform for growing emersed mosses and let it act as a 'moss scrub' (similar to algae scrub concept).

And finally, a cover at the front over the 24" partition. I'm not too concerned if the mesh is a little large as there will be floating plants as well.

Overkill? Comments?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Overkill? Comments?
    Ronnie, "overkill?" Naw, we're talking about somebody who uses UGF,
    DeBruyn and Mattenfilters, all on one tank! How could this be overkill?
    I like those clear plastic trays you're using, hope they have something
    similar in Thailand! The Tornado fan only knocks it down 1 degree?
    Hardly seems worth it to me...maybe it hasn't run in enough to make
    more of a difference?

Looking good, Ronnie!

Bill

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ruyle
    The Tornado fan only knocks it down 1 degree?
    Hardly seems worth it to me...maybe it hasn't run in enough to make
    more of a difference?
    Bill, let me rephrase. Whatever regular AC/DC fans can pull down, the Tornado performs better (not a pull-down of 1ºC from ambient temps).

Fans alone can only do so much and no more efficient than Henri filtrations but from my observation testing these filter mods, especially those with ventilation ports, the tank's temp can be a 2~3ºC difference (also dependent on wind circulation). Addition fan/s, used in conjunction with Henris, that achieve a further 1ºC drop, will not be feasible to others (something like diminishing returns).

FWIW, the main goal for going through this 'exercise' is to achieve a really low maintenance setup and I better rig these up while time is on my side. Aesthetic-wise, there's much room to improve on WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) but that is not an issue for me.

I'll try out clear drip trays of other brands and adapt them to my remaining 2 units of 4feet tanks. Have something in mind but it's still stuck on the drawing board
    Ronnie Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12