Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quivering Male Luo Han

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, need some advice on this, don't really know what is happening. My male Luo Han is experiencing some form of trembling (or spasms) and I don't think this is normal If anybody has any knowledge on this, I'll appreciate any advice.

Cheers.
    When driving, make sure your mata is not on the wanita!!!

Feedback Score
    maybe he is in 'heat' []

any females with him??? how big is that guy???
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes there is a female in the tank, separated by a perspex divider, but the pair is only abt 3", surely too young???

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BT

i dont keep LH but think it is a typical cichlid behavior as i noticed this with my angels and discus....the quiver is uaually the anal fin...it 'shakes' pretty fast as a signal to the others that its personal space has been invaded...and if the signals is ignored, POW!!!

this is purely my observation of my own cichlids....i could be wrong....yimin, lsz .....how?[]
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually, if its only shaking the anal fin I m not worried, but its head is also shaking, kinda like when you quiver when you are cold. Hope there is nothing to this cos I really like the bugger.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    guys, i think central americans do not really shake anal fin as territorial display.
    they defend their territory head on, flare gills, do small charges at the intruder etc.

some qns to ask you first:

(1)are his fins clamped when he quivers?
    (2)does he rub on anything as he vibrates?
    (3)how long?occasionally or getting very often? (very often means you definitely will see him quivering whenever you see your fish) Each quiver itself, abt how long does he do it?
    (4)other than that, does he like to rub himself against rocks etc?
    (5)appetite of the fish?
    (6) i am curious how you found out the sex for them.(just curious not implying that you must be inaccurate)
    (7) --i assume the sexes are correct--
    at 3", i doubt real succesful breeding will occur. But is is possible that they do show interest in the opposite sex. How is the female responding? does she go towards the male ?and how abt the male? It is also possible that compatible pairs go thru pseudo breeding. It is easier to sex young fish when they are from the same batch. Females will be smaller and rounder, with a smaller head in proportion to the body. But i realised that with LHs, it can be difficult. Because very often, i see females with very bright colours, long finnage and many spot nuchal humps too.There is no standard to follow when sexing coz they are so highly interbred and hybridised.
    each fish may turn out different, as a strain cannot be fixed and fully predictable by just a few generations of breeding..
    ( how big is your tank now? LHs are big fish, they need a lot of space, so you cannot expect them to get along well ina space more suitable than, say, convicts. The best way to see is to remove the partition (only when you can stay by the tank). can you let us know what happens after you do that?

separate them again when you sense trouble..

Note that space is an impt factor, for a fish in confined space doesnt exhibit true behaviour and intention....say if you have your fish at current size in a 3ft, things will be different, and 4ft, even more different. THe presence of other fish in the tank will also change the attitude and behaviour of fish from same species (in your case, same hybrid strain) towards one another. with other fish around, pair forming instinct is higher, and couples fight less among themselves.

i will also like to ask you abt the breeding tube..but it is a 3" fish..i doubt it is visible. But again, it is showing some possible pre-spawning behaviour.

Or maybe, it is not the "serious case" quivering i am talking abt...
    and yes, it may not imply anything too. Coz cichlids like to do funny things, and shaking head is one of them. Did you add ecstacy into your fish food?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi BT !, I understand from a LH lover it's very normal for LH to behave that way, so don't worry lah ! , Cheers! []

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi LSZ, whole list of questions and comments you got there. Appreciate ur time & effort. My replies below:
    i)Not sure which fins u r referring to. But there wasn't any noticeable fin clamping, I think.
    ii)He is rubbing his stomach on the gravel (signs of progress into adulthood?)
    iii) Each quiver does not last long.
    iv) No, he does not rub his body against rocks. He used to do it sometime ago but it was due to white spots, which have since been cured.
    v) Appetite is still pretty ok.
    vi)For Lhs, from what I learnt from breeders, look for 2 areas. First, on the dorsal fin, there should be a small black spot, or band, whatever u call it. Second, on the body very close to the caudal fin, there are also black spots. I think only a combination of both can u confirm that the LH is a female, as the colours on both sexes are pretty similar.
    vii) I think the whole episode is down to attraction on the part of both sexes. Both of them always trying to get to each other at the barrier. I think ur point abt pseudo breeding is very valid!!
    viii) Currently, they are housed in 2ft tanks & considering they are still ard 3-4" (hopefully I get my estimation right this time!), still have ample space to maneuver and grow. I realise that they grow at a fast rate, which is why I am trying to clear the tank which is holding my juvenile LHs now.

I agree that cichlids, no matter after whatever manipulations have been done to them in their evolution, still do possess some of their quirky behaviour.
    And no, I dun think there is any ecstasy in their food.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    **akoh , Issit possible to move this to CIchlids?

i dont think there are any big problems from what you described.and yeah perhaps a little horny thats all.

the biggest problem you will have will be space. I hope eventually you will provide at least 4ft tank for a pair of them. This is not overkill at all for such fish.

Personally i always qn the thing abt using colour features to sex LHs, the main reason being they are hybrids, and there are so many colour variations and so many genetic combinations... doesnt different kind of LH display different colour characteristics?

And in the first place, even for "purebreds" , for certain species, it is difficult to sex them using colour alone. There are many "pseudo" cases..

the best way is to vent them.
    you should be able to do that quite surely when they are 6" up..the smallest fish i had vented is at 3". (A.labiatum .

also, in a tankful of youngs, the males will be bigger. and the dominant male can get to almost twice as big as the females with time.

The quivering is normal LH behaviour. The males do it more often and at the bottom of the tank.
    I suspect it's an instinct to clear a nesting area