Country
    Singapore

Moss ID help please

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

This is my maiden post here after much lurking in the shadows. It is indeed a place where I feel I can get reliable information and help. I understand that there's a project going on to identify the various mosses found here, so I guess this is where I'll get my answers.

I have several kinds of moss and am very confused about 2 in particular. I'm not too sure what they are. Please enlighten me on what mosses I have in the picture.

Thanks!

Please follow this link for a bigger picture.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Moss ID help please

Vic,

The 1st moss is either Christmas or Singapore Moss. The second is quite definitely Java. It's practically impossible to tell Christmas and Singapore Moss apart without looking at their cells through a microscope. They belong to the same genus, Vesicularia.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks. That's good enough for me. I never knew what the first moss was since I grew them from a few strands that I found in some other moss. The second moss was given to me by a friend.

Thank you again.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Vic,

How's your Erect Moss doing ?

The Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata you gave me all died :-( I have switched to the more hardy Ludwigia arcuata.

Gan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Gan,

The erect moss is growing but looks stringy. Not as lush as those I've seen from this site. I suspect my shrimps or SAE have been munching on them, so I've tied them up on various pieces of wood and placed in different tanks I have around the house. Hopefully they will flourish in at least one of the tanks. I am now trying to learn as much as I can about the different kinds of moss around.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by victri
    Hi Gan,
    The erect moss is growing but looks stringy. Not as lush as those I've seen from this site. I suspect my shrimps or SAE have been munching on them, so I've tied them up on various pieces of wood and placed in different tanks I have around the house. Hopefully they will flourish in at least one of the tanks. I am now trying to learn as much as I can about the different kinds of moss around.
    SAE and Yamato are BAD for mosses. They like to eat the moss buds.
    Cherry and Malayan shrimps on the other hand seems to be moss friendly.