Country
    Singapore

DIY LIGHTS?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there,

Would like to ask if anyone DIY their lights using halogen light bulbs and so on.
    Does those energy saving lights have the same effect as the non energy saving types. Example a 8W light giving out 18W brightness have the same as a FL 18W?
    Could some one tell me how to DIY MH lights too.

Hope someone can help me.
    I'm sorry if this topic has been asked b4, if so can someone point the link to me please.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    does halogen bulbs produce white light? normally it is yellowish and is quite hot.
    planted tanks prefer white light as it is closer to mother nature.

energy saving lights compare their brightness with incandecent bulbs, which is yellowish. so the 8w light is still 8w to a planted tank. the norm is to use the pure wattage without 'enhancements'.

for diy mh, hope that you have the knowhow to handle electricity. try checking out light shops which retails mh lights. they may have some relevant info. only a handful, or is it only 1 person have diy mh light, so use the search function at the top right to find those relevant threads.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Halogen bulbs are known to be the most inefficient lighting compared to MH. If you're looking for pendant lights strongly suggest MH.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks moderators,

Thanks for letting me know that halogen bulbs are lousy...anyway does halogen have white lights... Do the both of you have any other type of bulbs or lamps etc to recommend... sharing from experience or stories from friends who used other alternatives.

Thanks hope to here from both of you soon.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    most hobbyist use either fl or pl lights. the reason being readily available and cheap. mh is getting popular nowadays. i use pl lights.

why not visit some lfs and explore some suitable lighting.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For larger tanks, the demand of lights is pretty high. Tha's why using MH lights makes more sense as they are more efficient thus wattage requirement is less. Sadly, there is no known guide as to how much MH lighting is suitable.

So far only estimated values is used as mine is about 2.8W/g which I think is on the high side. Luckily algae is kept in check.

MH in the long run would be cheaper too as flourescent lighting wear off it's brightness around 6 months while MH tends to last for about 2 years.

Just as a comparison for replacement of bulb in 2 years:

1X150W=150W : 4X36W=144W

MH tube (assuming $35/tube)
    1 X $35 = $35

PL tubes(assuming $15/tube)
    4 tubes X $15 X 4 replacements = $240
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi sherchoo, PL tubes can only lasts 6 months?
    I thought it can lasts at least 1 year.Please advise coz thinking of changing from FL to PL tubes.Thanks![]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    generally, pl tubes are changed after 6 mth of use. the pl light still work fine but the light intensity would have reduced.

if your light setup is working fine, why change. unless you want to increase your light wattage and is constrained by space. most choose pl light because it take up less space per watt compared to fl light.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hello gang,

since we are talking about lights here, can someone answer my questions?

what does fl,pl,mh mean ?

fl= flourescent (e.g arcadia light tubes0
    mh=metal halide (e.g bian xing cong lights?)
    pl=?? (e.g ?)

wahboy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi and thanks all for replys,

Sherchoo would like to ask does the MH come in bulb or tube form or both. Are you using one too. If so how much did the whole thing cost you. And from where did you get it from.

Anyone can help me find the MH diy topic if there is one... I can't find it.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    To get more info. of DIY lighting should go to marine section. Most reefer are good in DIY. There're a dicussion been made on DIY MH in www.sgreefclub.com. You can visit there and take a look. FYI, a DIY MH set (150W) w/o hood or casing cost $130 per set. Can buy from Eyelighting.

Rgds

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Wahboy,
    pl - compact flourescent

Sims,

diy mh light thread
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Guys!!!

Now which one is better for the plants PL,MN or FL.
    SO many opinion veri blur la!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually you've left out several types of lights... mercury vapor, and high pressure sodium. High pressure sodium bulbs tend to be very orange so they make your tank look very yellow... but its great for plants.

MH is probably the best balance between high light output, and a balanced spectrum.

FL, PL are both also effective for plants, but penetration is weaker than MH.

Already I'm seeing trends in the greenhouse industry where people are moving to a combo of MH with HPS lamp... this is to provide a strong spectrum with good color rendition.

Ultimately though whats best for you? That depends... I've been thinking of moving to MH for ages, but the fact that my false ceiling can't take the weight has always stopped me. SO for now I still stick with my FL... which works great... just a bit more costly to run.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/22/2003 9:46:26 AM

Ultimately though whats best for you? That depends... I've been thinking of moving to MH for ages, but the fact that my false ceiling can't take the weight has always stopped me. SO for now I still stick with my FL... which works great... just a bit more costly to run.
    ----------------
    If your tank is against a wall, maybe can consider using the wall to mount the lights, like those at Gan's place.

Sherwin: what's the breakdown cost for your 2 x 150W MH lights setup approximately?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks