Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Information on Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Let me start by saying that I thought the Moss article was great...

I have just started my tank and have some mosses in the tank....some on driftwood, some in guppy breeding nets....

I got some moss from NA that was supposedly Taiwan moss but chances they arent. They are on the same driftwood as the "christmas" moss...

Problem is that my "Christmas" moss is not confirmed Christmas but could be HDB Moss.....I also got some Java Moss but that can easily be identified from the others.

To make matters worse....I also have some Moss that I got from Telok Blangah Area that I have been cultivating submersed.

My problem is that all the mosses look different... The "Taiwan" moss is more compact, my "Christmas" is less so...intitially when I got it, I was skeptical as it had long straight strands but has since started growing buds and is looking more Christmas like. The moss I got from the Hill is also slightly different but more similar to the "Taiwan" Moss from NA

I will be taking some pictures soon and hope that some members can help identify them...... In the meantime if anyone can let me know which shop sells the real Taiwan Moss, I would like to go and have a look see and maybe get some as I am thinking of setting a moss only tank and grow them in same conditions to see the differences...as I am getting very interested in mosses as time goes by...... Would also like to get the "new" moss from Oriental......Mosses are definately interesting.
    YOU may like living in a pig's sty.... but I dont like swimming in a toilet bowl....CHANGE MY WATER !!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Information on Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Leng
    Mosses are definately interesting.
    Kim Leng, they definitely are. Here's where you can get the genuine Taiwan Moss.

Mermaid World
    Block 443 Ang Mo Kio Ave 10
    #01-1233
    Tel: 97939733 & 90038383

The owner is a young man named Melvin Lim. The shop keeps irregular hours so its best to call before you go.

I doubt what you already have is genuine Taiwan Moss if you bought them from NA. But let's not point fingers at the fish shop owners. For a very long time, none of us knew the correct names for the various mosses too.
    The problem with identifying the mosses is that there's a lot of confusion not just with the scientific names but the common names as well.

I would suggest we stop using the HDB or Bukit Timah names to describe the moss which the Professor has chosen to be called "Singapore Moss". If we keep using HDB or Bukit Timah, it's going to lead to more confusion later.

We'll be looking forward to your moss pictures.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wat about the tank in bioplast. was told by the uncle that the moss inside is not xmass but taiwan moss. I'm quite confused now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fazlee
    wat about the tank in bioplast. was told by the uncle that the moss inside is not xmass but taiwan moss. I'm quite confused now.
    I get just as confused too when people spell "what" as "wat". Please read the 2 stickies before you make any further posts. Thank you.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fazlee wrote:

I get just as confused too when people spell "what" as "wat". Please read the 2 stickies before you make any further posts. Thank you.

Loh K L
    sorry sorry. in a bit of a hurry. well here goes the question again with proper spelling..

What about the tank in bioplast. was told by the uncle that the moss inside is not xmass but taiwan moss. I'm quite confused now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fazlee, it doesn't really matter what the LFS calls the moss they stock.... because they are either doing it simply to give it an attractive (and popular) name, or it's because that's what their suppliers call it. Numerous LFS have mosses which they call Willow, Taiwan, Xmas, Erect, etc..... but only examination with a microscope can differentiate them properly. In any case, true Willow moss (Fontinalis sp.) isn't available in Singapore, while xmas moss, Singapore moss and 'taiwan' moss appear to exhibit different growth patterns depending on growth conditions and origin - for all you know, they could all be different species.... given that there are hundreds or thousands of aquatic moss species.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks budak for the reply. Think many of us dwell too much into all the 'brand' names.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fazlee
    Think many of us dwell too much into all the 'brand' names.
    Many hobbyists are just as curious about the names, both the common and scientific ones. Some of us who were working with the Professor know the scientific names but for the time being, we are sworn to secrecy. The full scientific names will be revealed when the Professor's scientific paper is published sometime in July.

The moss in Bioplast is unlikely to be Taiwan Moss. It's probably either Christmas or Singapore.

Loh K L