Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Windelov Question

Feedback Score

Windelov Question

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Sorry about the plant name, it might not be right but i remembered its name is windelov or windlov , i have 2 of this windelov plant in a same tank , one of them is tie to a piece of wood , another is planted directly into the fert.

My question now is the windelov which is planted directly into the base fert seem to be dieing while the one on driftwood is not showing any sign of dieing it growing quite heathly actally.

And a little information is that the one on driftwood has been around for like 2 month and the one thats dieing is around 1 and a half month , my lighting is around 12 watt for a 2ft tank , the moss seem to be doing fine so what might be the problem ? can i be that the one on the base fert has too much fert and cant use them so it is decaying !?
    alan aka zai jin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is this your Windelov plant? Windelov

If yes, it is a variant of the java fern, not a moss. It is grown tied to driftwoods, normally. You can't plant it directly into the substrate as the roots will then die off - as well as the plants. You can see that from the two plants that you have - one tied to driftwood and the other planted into the substrate.

It can grow in a low light planted tank as well as a high light planted tank. IME, A great waste product absorber.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zmzfam
    Is this your Windelov plant?
    Hi Zulkifli

If you can see the image below, please tell me which is the Windelov? I was arguing with Ronnie about this plant the other day. As we both are not the ‘plant people’ so best is to ask the experts here..

Thank you.
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Its the one on the left. The right is Hygrophila difformis AKA water wisteria. (A weed)..

Regards
    Peter Gwee :wink:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Lily,

Since Peter gave you the answer, I have a question. Is your java fern 'Windelov' doing ok being planted in the substrate? Reason I ask is that for plants like the java ferns, anubias etc the rhizome has to be above the substrate so that is why people normally tied it to driftwood or stone etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lily
    I was arguing with Ronnie...
    So who won?
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Reason I ask is that for plants like the java ferns, anubias etc the rhizome has to be above the substrate so that is why people normally tied it to driftwood or stone etc.
    Zul, I'm not sure if that's the reason. I've had quite good success with Narrow Leaf Java Ferns grown in substrate. In fact, I find they grow better this way. The leaves become longer and greener. What you wrote is probably true only for plants like Anubias because their roots are very hard and thick.

What I know about Ferns is that they also require low temperatures, just like mosses.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Is this your Windelov plant? Windelov

If yes, it is a variant of the java fern, not a moss.

yes thank for the picture that the windelov im talking about , i think i used the word moss in the wrong place , i mean i have moss and windelov growing in the same tank and the moss is doing nicely.

about it being sold tie driftwood, the windelov that is dieing is actally bought from topical or i mean its from a shop that take stock from it , it sold in a pot so i figure out i try planting it in the gravel , the one tie to driftwood is actally from the same shop .
    alan aka zai jin

Feedback Score
    Hello Zulkifli

It sounds a bit annoying, but Ronnie won.

I was told that the Windelov will be alright if planted directly into the substrate so I don’t bother to tie them to any driftwoods, it looks greener and healthier then before. :wink:

Peter, thank you so much for the information. To be very honest, I am no aquatic plant lover, and very new to this hobby too. Just by looking at their scientific names can give me migraine. As from now, guess I will have to learn to get the name right for all the plants I have in my tanks! So much things to remember and yet so little time..
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    I also tend to plant some Windelov into the substrate after pruning them from those that grew on driftwoods (too lazy to tie them unto other driftwoods ). Results have been mixed so far but I noticed that those with off shoots tend to do better.

I also try not to plant it too deep - about 1cm depth, just to make sure that the Windelov leaf doesn't get 'swept away'. Not too sure whether base fertilizers helps but I'm quite certain having off shoots does.

cheers,
    Wei Leong