Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Fontinalis Antipyretica

Feedback Score

Fontinalis Antipyretica

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Has any one had any experience of growing Fontinalis Antipyretica i think its willow moss it lookes different to the usual java moss (larger leaves).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fontinalis Antipyretica

I got some Willow moss from a fellow-hobbyist living in the United Kingdom but it's not doing well in my tanks. I think this moss needs a really low temperature. In Singapore, day time temperatures hover around 34 degrees C and for the last few weeks, it has been hotter than usual. It's so hot in the afternoons you can fry an egg on the pavements. Those of us who can't afford chillers use cooling fans to pull down the temperature of our tanks. On normal days, my tank is about 28 degrees C. That's pretty good considering how high the ambient temperature is.

Willow Moss definitely looks different from Java. In fact, it's completely different from most of the other mosses I know. I've some pictures in this thread showing the various mosses.

By the way, I think you will get a better response to your posts if you use your real name. Since you've already revealed yourself to be Steven in another post, I don't see any reasons why you cannot sign off with a real name here.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Yes, this moss does prefer cooler water. I have found the best way to grow this moss is to just tie some down to a bit of drift wood but leave some trailing up. This will soon bush out giving a sort of christmas tree effect. Mine grows in front of the filter which occasionally gives out bubbles. These bubbles get stuck on the moss making it look as if its pearling - quite a nice effect.

Afroturf - you were after some mosses, pm me your address and I can send some to you.

Feedback Score

willow

i'm sorry.iam from indonesia and wanna to share some experience on willow moss.in my country willow sold at rp.50.000 / 10 sin dollars per cup.....i didnt know if it was so expensive or cheap depending with willow that sold in spore?...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: willow

Quote Originally Posted by aryanggie
    i'm sorry.iam from indonesia and wanna to share some experience on willow moss.in my country willow sold at rp.50.000 / 10 sin dollars per cup.....i didnt know if it was so expensive or cheap depending with willow that sold in spore?...
    it may or may not be REAL willow moss you are getting. best to check a reliable source of picture to compare.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

I had this rubberbanded to my filter inlet and it grew very well. I think this is a very versatile moss and can grow in many areas and aspects of the tank. I've seen a picture of it wedge into rocks and it was very nice. Currently I have it in the gravel and its still doing well. Cool/cold water is a must, I'm not sure about water flow.

Dennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: willow

Quote Originally Posted by aryanggie
    Aryanggie,

What's sold in the fish shops of Indonesia is unlikely to be genuine Willow Moss. Here in Singapore, many fish shops sell Willow Moss too but not one of them is the real thing. I believe the reason many fish shop owners call their moss Willow is because this name (Willow) is the most well-known name for moss after Java. In other words, as far as fish shop owners are concerned, if it isn't Java, it must be Willow.

Loh K L