Country
    Singapore

Moss from GuangZhou, China

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

Zhou Hang aka Mr Tree gave me 2 plants he bought from GuangZhou, China. Thanks, buddy.

Zhou Hang thought they were both mosses but I'm quite sure one is a Liverwort. Don't ask me how to tell the difference between a moss and a Liverwort as I can't explain it either Anyway, until we find out for sure, I'm going to call it a Liverwort.

I thought at first that the Liverwort was the same as the one found everywhere locally but when I brought it home and compared the 2, I found they are different. The one Zhou Hang brought home is definitely more beautiful. Here's a pic of the Liverwort from GuangZhou, China:

Here's a close-up pic of one frond:

Here's a close-up pic of the common Liverwort found everywhere in Singapore:

The other plant that Zhou Hang gave me is definitely a Moss. It doesn't seem to be anything like the other mosses we know. It looks a bit like Erect Moss grown poorly. Here's a pic:

Here's a close-up of one frond:

The professor is going overseas to do some research work on mosses and I don't know if I can bring Zhou Hang's plants to him this Saturday. But in the meantime, you all can try and see if you can identify the plants correctly. Do you think the moss is one of the 6 that we already know?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Those are very nice, I especially like the liverwort.

The fronds of the moss remind me of weeping moss. I do hope that it is a new moss. New discoveries are quite exciting! How has it done so far with the temperatures of Singapore?
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    I think that the bottom picture(moss) resembles willow moss(Fontinalis antipyretica).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    You are welcome. Thank god it's not the normal Liverwort! Phew!

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The liverwort is nice ! As for the ID of the moss, this is even tougher than the previous id competition !
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I should have known better than to try and tell a Moss from a Liverwort I couldn't bring the plants to the professor but he came here and took a look at the pictures. This is what he wrote:

The two "mosses" which your friend brought back from China are both mosses. The one which you think looks like a common liverwort in Singapore is a Plagiomnium sp. It is a moss, and not a liverwort, because the leaves of this plant have a single midrib or costa which showed up nicely in your close up photograph. In the picture of your common Singapore liverwort, Heteroschyphus, the leaves do not have the single midrib. No liverwort has leaves with a costa or midrib. Plagiomnium is a moss growing in wet and shaded sites, like rocks by the stream bank, but it is not a submerged moss.

The second moss is something that I do not want to guess until I see the plant under a microsocpe.
    I will try and keep the mosses alive in my tank until the professor comes home. He's away doing more research work on mosses.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Subzero and I were at Lake Aquarium just now and we saw this 'Broad Leaf' GuangZhou moss in the main display tank !

They also have 4 pieces of 6" driftwood with Weeping Moss going for $25 !