Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Paludariums and Humidity

Feedback Score

Paludariums and Humidity

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I plan on making a 11" cube paludarium. I was thinking of also having a glass top for it, but it might cause air circulation problems. There will be no piping in this terrarium so I am hoping of finding a way with just natural convection currents. The main things that will be in the terrarium are just a few mosses and Cryptocorynes.

Would anyone be able to share some words of wisdom about terrariums/paludariums and humidity and air circulation? Is it possible to have 100%(or close to) humidity and still have good air circulation?

The terrarium would also be in need in of heating (Winter can get very cold!), I am thinking of finding a very small submersible heater. I might get lucky if my lights by themselves are able to keep the temperature up but that would mean temperature drops during the night.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Mark,

Perhaps my post in http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549 might help? It's the 11th or 12th post there (currently one of the last few posts).

I'm not sure how good the circulation was, but I never had problems I could associated with it. However, if the circulation is really good, I don't think you can maintain humidity. Climate is a factor as well. Singapore is quite humid normally, so I might not experience the problems you might get.

If you are concerned about circulation of O2 and CO2 in and out of the tank... I'm wondering if osmotic processes will make sure both gases will be available in the tank. I.e. as the gases build up or get depleted in the air in your tank, they will equalise with the air outside the tank thru the holes in the cover via osmosis (i'm not sure if this is the right word to use here). This will probably be slower then actually circulating the air thru of the tank.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Mark,

I have no experience in the terrarium. However, I have a suggestion that you may wish to consider:
    Heating under the tank
    - make a simple wooded frame with base covered (4 pcs of 4" high planks and a thin sheet of ply) where the tank will sit above it
    - place 2 bulbs in the wooden frame
    - you can use 2 pieces of 15 or 25 watts bulbs (depend on the amount of heat you need)
    - connect them in series so that they run half the current which translate into very much longer bulb lifespan
    - the bulbs would gentlely heat up the substrate which create convection within the substrate and then the tank water and then the air above it.
    - you would notice air circulation, evidence by the condensation on the glass inside the tank.

This solution is very neat as it is invisible and maintenance free. During winter, turn the bulbs on whole day. If you chose the right bulb wattage, the water temperature should fluctuate within 22~27 degree celcius.

Feedback Score
    I am going to get the glass made in a few days. I decided not to make the top yet and will probably just use plastic wrapping (hehe, I know I am cheap) to cover it until I am able to get a nice balance of both humidity and airflow.

Hi Vincent,
    The humidity where I am is very dry. It will take me some time to find the right sized openings in the tank to allow proper air flow and humidity. I will be playing around with heating as well to see how well it affects it.

Hi Freddy,
    I remember seeing the heating box at a Jan's Cryptocoryne site. I was not too fond of it then because it looks like it can be hard to conceal. I was also thinking of possible fire hazards (my wiring is not exactly the best!). But I guess I will just have to think dangerously now, as it looks like DIY heating will be best for this size of a tank. I really like the idea of convection currents of both water and air from the heating box.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Inline with the idea of an external under tank heater... try looking for reptile heating pads. I think they have flat ones which you can place under the tank.

I think there are reptile heating pads that are shaped like rocks too, so that might be an option as an in-tank decor/heater?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    An interesting terrarium setup walkthru - http://www.blackjungle.com/gallery/talltank/page1.html

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vincent,

The terrarium is indeed very interesting. It is very well done and the "landscape" is beautiful.

Thank you for sharing the link!

Feedback Score
    Last week I got my glass and set it up. It took awhile to make it leak proof and remove the excess the silicone off the glass. Currently, the cube will be holding my mosses until I can decide a plan for this.
    http://fuelthefire.sifen7.com/images/plants/11cube.jpg

I am contemplating on using an organic substrate but apparently it does not do well with substrate heating. The heat speeds up bacteria activity and also speeds up the decay of the organics. If I plan to use this, it might just be easier to keep the plants in pots so changing substrate will not involve bothering the other plants. There would also be no heating for his scheme.

Another scheme I have in mind, which involves substrate heating, is using a mixture of clay and commercial brand such as eco complete or flourite. I still have to check the current prices. I assume it is going to be expensive because the lack of interest of it locally. An inert substrate would reduce long term problems.

For the heating, I am thinking of DIY substrate heating through cables. I am still on the look for supplies of this though. I might need to scrap the idea if I cannot find a low voltage transformer and wires that match it for my tank. If anyone can help me on this topic, it would be great! I have already viewed many articles on the internet, but I cannot say I fully understand what I need.

Vincent,
    That terrarium is gorgeous. I recall stumbling on that link once before(or maybe something like it) and was just stunned by the species of plants I never seen until then: various air plants, carnivorous plants and the genus of Crypthantus.
    -Mark Mendoza