Country
    Singapore

Dilemma for lighting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi people,

I'm facing a dilemma with regards to the lighting system for the 6'X2'X2' (520 Litres) tank that I have. I intend to change the current lighting system , that is, 6X25W FL (Arcardia), as I know that it is WAY below the recommended level. Oh yes, I intend to have glosso as my main theme...or HC... :P

Option 1: Matrix 6 feet
    There will be 6X55W, totaling to 330W. But I will have to wait for a month or more as there is a shortage of stock islandwide.

Option 2: 2 sets of Matrix 3 feet
    Per set, there will be 4X36W and with the two sets, it will be 288W. Stock available for this.

Option 3: Metal Halide (Adec)
    There will be 3x150W HQI in the set. This will total to an incredible 450W. Stock available for this.

My concern is feasibility for the success of glosso/HC, therefore, pricing will not affect my decision. But availability is a considering factor, although it is not THAT important.

By the way, for all three options mentioned, the light temperature is 10,000K. Any comments on this as well?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dilemma for lighting

Selwyn, with a 2ft depth, I don't think PL lighting will be sufficient to meet the requirement of glosso and HC. IIRC, 10K bulbs are for marine setups.

FWIW, I've used Aqualine and HTlite with good results.

Aqualine 5k MH bulb
    http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi...ine5kBulb3.JPG
    http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi...ine5kBulb4.JPG
    http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi...ine5kBulb6.JPG
    http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi...ine5kBulb7.JPG

HTlite MH bulb 150W
    http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi.../HTliteMH1.JPG
    http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi.../HTliteMH2.JPG
    http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi.../HTliteMH3.JPG

I can't get Angelfire to hotlink here but the URLs should dish out the images.... that is if they're not 'load blocking' my free account!

Guess it's time to get real and upload my pages elsewhere.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Strange... but I just tried something else.

Right-click the link, copy shortcut and paste either to new IE window or paste the URL in Netscape window. Seems to work, at least for now.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ronnie,

the urls are working fine for me. In fact, here's two images being hotlinked :

Aqualine 5k MH bulb

HTlite MH bulb 150W

Could it be something wrong with your internet connection?
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Zulkifli,

The image that you just pasted does not work too, at least for me. The only thing I saw is the angelfire logo.

Selwyn,

I still think MH lights work better for you. The reasons being:
    1) Cost is not your concern
    2) You have chiller
    3) The tank top is free from crumps of light housings - you have all access for feedings and plantings
    4) The lamps hanging above the tank are beautiful
    5) The lights are what you wanted - pentration power
    6) Less maintenance - lamps last longer
    7) Ripple effect on water - create river bed like look

The only disadvantage being they are much hotter than the rest. Despite all the goodness, the heat is enough to put me off because my tank's room has no air-con. I am not sure about you and your family members.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the advise.

Ronnie
    You were using both Aqualine 5k MH bulb and HTlite MH bulb 150W simultaneously or over a period of time? If it is the latter, does it mean that your light casing/holder is compatible for both?

Also, what were you growing then? Glosso? HC?

And isn't 5,000K a little too low for plants? And I believe they only have 10,000K for the metal halide bulb that I'll be getting so that leaves me with no other options, unless someone knows there to get 6,500K metal halides...

Oh yes, it works if I cut and paste the URL onto a new browser.

Zulkifli
    So what's your take on this?

Freddy
    Gee...the heat from the chiller is somewhat bearable and already, I can see that the folks back home are not too please...

Also, that'll be 450W, will that be a little too much in terms of lighting?

And, the bulbs for the one I'll be getting (that's IF I get it) is 10,000K and this is not really suitable for tropical planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have to agree with Ronnie and Freddy - if you intent to grow glosso, get the MH lights. They have the power to punch through the depth.

The colour temperature remains constant during the lifetime of the bulb as compared to using fluorescent - be it the normal or compact type.
    Maintenance - the MH bulbs last longer.

You can contact Penta Lighting : [email protected] or call them at 6484 9000 to check whether is there any MH bulbs at 6500K. Their website http://www.pentalighting.com.sg/index.htm

I remembered reading a post - maybe not in this forum - about somebody buying retail from them.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Selwyn,
    I was running 2 x 150w MH lights over my 4ft planted tank, with high-light requiring plants including glossos. Light-on period was only 6 hours in the night and no other lights was necessary in the hall

The casing was intended for outdoor use and hung from a DIY back frame, with adjustable suspension cables, which allowed me not only vertical but lateral movement as well. I can't recall the Italian light manufacturor but it's available from Chan Huat along Balestier Road.

The bulb holder is double ended, as are the bulbs, so they're interchangable and have used them at the same time (somehow, I like the color better from the Aqualine, but these are close to $200 per bulb!).

3 Theben timers control the lights (in the sequence: single light, double light, single light then night light).

CO2 from a DIY reactor was close to 4bps as I was using trickle overflow filtration but pearling can be observed usually in under a minute. Plants don't require higher end of Kelvin spectrum and 5K will do nicely.

Fertilization was via 2 Eheim dosers with PMDD mix (concoction premixed by a friend. I'm chemistry-handicapped ).

Heat can be dissipated via fans. In my case it was 2units of 4" AC fans, but I could never get the temp below 28ºC. Fan noise may be an issue.

Personally, I've given up on the idea of fancy setups and go for 'low-tech' and 'no-tech' tanks, but don't let me stop you :wink:

Good luck and hope that the details help.
    Ronnie Lee