Country
    Singapore

Suggestions anyone?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I'm re-scaping my 9 mth old tank right now, and being slightly challenged with aquascaping, I'm now here seeking your advice as to how I can improve it.

Sorry, but I don't know how to upload the pics here, so here's a link to the pics:

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/h...03/plantedtank

Please pardon the pics' resolution, as they're taken off video stills.

From the pics, you can see that the tennellus lawn is now complete, albeit slightly unkempt. On the left, you can see that there's a cascade of java ferns attached to an ascending drfitwood. A tinge of red is added using ludwigia arcuata interspersed within the ferns, near the top part of the cascade.

A horizontal driftwood traverse the middle, now hidden by the tenellus, and you can also see a windelov bunch attached to a driftwood there.

Actually, I've trimmed and replanted 2 tonina species behind this horizontal driftwood, one just right of the cascading java fern, while the other one is to the left of the windelov bunch. I hope to grow them into 2 hedge-like bunches.

Also, I've planted 2 african lily near the back, just obliquely right of the cascading ferns. The plantlets are still small, but I'll probably put in root monster to spur them on, once they root nicely into the substrate. With this, I hope to add a little bit of red to the tank, and I hope to get the leaves to grow slightly taller than my tonina hedge there in the future.

The whole scape right now looks a bit bare and anaemic to me right now, especially to the right of the tank, where the casual placement of the windelov brunch is another demonstration of my creative depletion.

So people, any suggestions?

Cheers,

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kenny, IMHO, the Windelov bunch should be removed. Real odd to have an island of ferns in the middle of a tenellus lawn. In one sense its pretty unique too.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Kenny, I think another piece of large driftwood between the 2 fern piles
    and some red plants to break up all that green would be good. A little
    anger in all that serenity

Bill
    farang9

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Jian Yang,

Yeah, I too, feel that it is pretty odd to have a fern pile there as well, but it does also look odd to leave it empty.

Well, I hope to join Ronnie and you this weekend at Teo's, and see what I can find there.

Bill,

There are actually flashes of red coming from the tenellus lawn, and I'm waiting for the red african lily right at the back to grow bigger and taller. Would probably have to add some root feeding there to boost growth.

I'm also hoping that the two tonina hedges would grow taller and fuller, so as to fill out the middle.

I'm now thinking of getting a taller piece of driftwood to build a fern pile right where the windelov bunch is right now. It should be 2/3 the height of the left pile, so as not to make it too symmetrical.

Well, let's see what I can find at Teo's.....

Thanks for your suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Cheers,

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aquascaping is an art and it is subjective.

To me, it looks calm and serene. The windelov island create illusion of dept there. Like any aquascape, healthy and lush plants enhance the effect greatly. You are close to there.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree with Jianyang. If you want to keep to the Amano type scape, plant more ferns at the left corner and replace the Windelov fern with a few pieces of rocks.

I think adding the rocks will give the scape a focus and make it more natural.
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Freddy,

Yeah, scaping is asubjective, but appreciation of esthetics, is universal.

From afar, the plants sure does look wonderful, but on closer look, the tenellus leaves and the ferns have blackish green spot algae on them, possibly due to high ligh (approx. 3.5wpg). That is why I'm now trying to shade them with frogbits.

Neglected the tank for a while, and it was so nutrient depleted that hygrophila difformis died, and even the glass is devoid of algae. Some spots of BGA were also present.

Well, after re-introducing liquid fertilisation regime 3 wks ago, the plants regaining its health and are growing well now, and that gave me the impetus to improve upon the aquascape.

After talking to Ronnie over the phone just now, I've come out with a scape in my mind:

I'd out a group of cyperus helferi diagonally behind the windelov pile, at the right corner. The sight of the leaves flowing aliong the water surface would be great. Tnen, right in front, I'd put in the Echi. red flame (Ronnie's favourite right now ), and in front of the A flame, I'd locate some mini anubias sp to be shaded by the foliage of the red flame. Further in front still adjoining the windelov pile there'd be some crypt bunches.

How does that sound?

Haha, seems mandatory to make a pilgrimage to Teo's farm now!

Cheers,

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,

Well, it's been more than 2 mths since I posted this thread to ask for ideas.

Ok, here's the July pic:

And here's the pic that I took last night:

Sorry for the poor resolution, as they're taken off my DV camcorder.

Kenny