Thread: Ideal conditions for moss

Feedback Score

Ideal conditions for moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

Contemplating a second tank to mainly grow moss. Thinking of only keeping corydoras or even killies ( after seeing so many pictures of these amazing fishes, who can resist? :P )

My question is what are ideals conditions for moss growth? Hoping to make this 2ft a low maintenance tank so won't be injecting C)2. Would that be fine? Or will no injection of CO2 stunt the growth of moss? What about lighting? Hoping to find out more so I do not commit to much mistake in setting up such a tank.

And would such a tank be suitable for killies?
    Mark

Hi Mark,
    According to other people, they say that low temperature and a low bioload tank would certainly be the best condition for moss tank to grow well.
    I have just set up an erect moss tank with 2 12v DC fan and DIY co2. My erect moss has grown 2cm more in less than 1 week with an average temperature of 24-28 degrees celsius and a 9W clip-on light. However, each of us have their own method of growing a moss tank.
    Just my 2 cents,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mark,
    For a low maintenance moss tank, you don't need CO2 and light at 1.5W/G should be sufficient. I would advice you to use a fan to keep the temperature at 27~28C, keep the bioload low and avoid SAE and shrimps.

Some people say Cherry shrimp doesn't eat moss but the nice Singapore Moss shown in my avarta has been totally destroyed by the 10 Cherry shrimps I put in 3 months back The shrimps are breeding but the mosses are all stringy and without leaves
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Hi Gan CW,
    Does cherry shrimp really destroy mosses? If so, I'd better remove my cherry shrimps from my moss tank. I have like more than 10 of them inside my tank. As for SAEs, what negative effect would they have on the moss?
    Currently, my cherry shrimps seems not to be eating my erect moss.

Feedback Score
    SAE's when young and hungry, will eat black brush algae (aka red algae). Otherwise they are pretty omnivorous, and not a big deal for other algae. Yes, they eat young, tender plant shoots.

I have kept them from messing with my more delicious plants by blanching zucchini ends in the microwave, so the air squeezes out and they sink. That seems to satisfy their veggie cravings.

YMMV.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Hi Gan,

Saw a few times that you reject having shrimps in moss.

This few days i have be observing shrimp and my moss full-time. But i have to conclude that shrimps doesn't hurt moss - even young moss.

I do not know why your real-experience is different. Don't mind if i ask you this questions. Are you have too many shrimps with too few mosses? Or, if the proporation is right, is your tank too clean until there is absolutely nothing else your shrimps can eat except the moss?

The reason i ask above quite obvious, because even men are known to eat special things (ie, cockroach, rat, human ) when desperate.

Hope you have discarded all your 'those shrimps' , as once they have learn eating moss there is no way they will revert back.

I will continue to do more observation.

------------------------

Kok Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rubripinnis
    Hi Gan CW,
    Does cherry shrimp really destroy mosses? If so, I'd better remove my cherry shrimps from my moss tank. I have like more than 10 of them inside my tank. As for SAEs, what negative effect would they have on the moss?
    Currently, my cherry shrimps seems not to be eating my erect moss.
    A few Cherry shrimps is ok. However, if your Cherry shrimps start to breed to 30..50, they can have devastating effect on the moss. However, if it is just 10, you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Kok Yong
    Hi Gan,
    Saw a few times that you reject having shrimps in moss.
    This few days i have be observing shrimp and my moss full-time. But i have to conclude that shrimps doesn't hurt moss - even young moss.
    I do not know why your real-experience is different. Don't mind if i ask you this questions. Are you have too many shrimps with too few mosses? Or, if the proporation is right, is your tank too clean until there is absolutely nothing else your shrimps can eat except the moss?
    Shrimps in general are not as destructive to moss as SAEs but they do eat moss under certain conditions, especially if there is a large number of them in a mid/small size tank. I have come across many beginners putting 30 or even 50 Yamatos in a 2ft tank !

I usually advice against putting in shrimps and SAEs to beginners so that if their moss doesn't do well, at least they know it is not due to shrimps or SAEs but due to either temperature or water quality.

Once their moss has established, they can always add in the shrimps and observe them.
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog