Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

shrimps dying off...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i bought my pack of xmas moss from petmart just now...
    and after dumping the entire pack into my 1ft tank which contains 10 bumble bee shrimps and 2 SAEs... my bumble bee shrimps are now all lying on their back... struggling to survive!!!! all happened within an hour...

does anyone know what could be the problem???
    i have since done afew times of water changes in case there are undesirable substance inside...

the 2 small SAEs are both doing okay...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    this small tank has no CO2 added... only a 13W light used... shrimps and fishes were all okay this morning...

a couple of shrimps were moved to my slightly bigger tank but they aren't recovering as yet...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I can't tell you what happen to your shrimps but you may judge for yourself after you hear my story.

Mine Bettas dies off one by one due to high PH. I suspected it's due to high PH because of there is no co2 and the tank is full of algae, hydrilla and riccia . Riccia were mostly floating but then I disturbed them and mostly became stuck with the algae and became submerged.

I found that Riccia bubbles even without direct sunlight.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    but can pH rise so suddenly within the hour that it is fatal to the shrimps?

before i put in this new pack of xmas moss, i have quite a bunch of floating plants (including riccia) and a small bunch of xmas moss in it already... the shrimps seems to be doing well then...

wonder if those shrimps that were moved to another tank will survive...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Did you rinse the plants before putting into tank?
    Did the plastic bag containing the plants got in contact with some harmful substance such as soap or oil etc... ?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it's the moss too.....

did you wash it properly.... I've bought some moss before too and had to wash it a lot of times before I even dared to add it into my tanks....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    on hindsight, maybe i should rinse the xmas moss before putting them into the tank...

do not think they had a chance to be in contact with any chemicals... it came sealed in a plastic bag... went straight into the tank from there...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    but what kind of harmful substance could affect the shrimps so fatally but not the SAEs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    same experience, I soaked the moss in peroxide first. then I dumped into tank, immediately all my shrimp started dying.

I thought it was the peroxide. but hmm: who knows.

Feedback Score
    Did you accustom the shrimps first before adding them to the water? Like filling up the shrimp plastic bag with small amounts of the tank water for say around half an hour.
    My shrimps use to die instantly because I did not acclimatise them with the tank temp and tank water conditions. Just my experience.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my shrimps were already in the tank in the first place before i added the xmas moss... had been there for a couple of days already and they seem very active and happy to me...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Irn-bru, I think not rinsing the moss is the cause. The moss are not planted in fish tanks. They are almost always directly from farms. Therefore, they may be carrying high fertiliser content, pesticides,...etc.

Chris, peroxide is deadly to shrimps ... no doubt about that...

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Once I introed Crypts into my tank and my shrimps died. I agree with BC... probably some kind of chemical for killing snails, pests, etc.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    will rinsing the xmas moss help?
    if it does, i will try washing them first and put a couple of shrimps in to test it out again...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can it be transportation shock? Read somewhere tat shrimps like to have something to cling onto while they r in the plastic bag.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Theo,

The shrimps were already settled in the tank. They died when Irn-Bru put some Xmas moss in to his tank. It looks like some toxic stuff came together with the moss or the plastic bag which killed the shrimps.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Irn-bru,

No harm in rinsing.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    A few weeks ago, I bought three cherry shrimp and emerse-grown L. cardinalis. I added these to a tank with three Yamato shrimp I've had for a long time. Three days later, I lost all three cherry shrimp and two of my old Yamatos. I am very certain that the plant was the cause. I rinsed it well before putting it in the tank, but in this case, it may have been the natural poisonous nature of the plant. I have never had problems with the submersed form of Lobelia, but the emersed form may have a higher concentration of toxin. This is only a theory of mine. To make the situation worse, the tank is only 5.5-gallons (~20 liters) and without filtration. I think carbon might have trapped much of the toxins if I had a filter on the tank. Anyway, I learned that plants need to be quarantined before adding them to tanks with shrimp. Shrimp are *very* sensitive to insecticide, copper, etc. more so than snails or fish. Lesson learned. After this disaster, I removed the L. cardinalis and did several hefty water changes. Since then, I replaced the Yamatos and cherries into this same tank, and they're all doing fine.

Sorry about your bee shrimp. It does not surprise me that your SAE are okay. They can tolerate much higher levels of chemicals than shrimp. I hope at least a few of the shrimp survive. I don't know why, but one Yamato was fine during and after the poisoning. Must have been a particularly hardy shrimp.

Feedback Score
    I just bought 5 yamatoes today
    1 hr after putting them in my tank
    all die

other fishes are ok.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dying shrimps within an hour is definately something wrong. Did you acclamatized them?

I had put in L.cardinalis too in my tank but everything seem fine. But then again my tank is a 400L tank. Probably it is more forgiving to minute amount of toxins.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast