Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: A Red chilli shrimp is pregnant !

A Red chilli shrimp is pregnant !

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

One of my Red Chilli shrimp is pregnant ! .... there are lots of yellow eggs under her stomach.

I would like to seek from your advice on basic care for baby shrimps .

OK,

1) Will my 5 tetra, small SAE, other shrimps (small yamato and malayan) attack them ? Should the pregnant shrimp be removed to elsewhere ?

2)Since there are mixed type of shrimps in my tank will the baby shrimp turn out to be mixed breed ? (eg chilli & yamato)

3) How long will baby shrimp come out ? i just notice eggs today.

4)Will 20 eggs produced 20 baby shrimps , ie 1:1 ratio

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Kok Yong

Feedback Score

Re: A Red chilli shrimp is pregnant !

Quote Originally Posted by silvertetra
    Hi all,

One of my Red Chilli shrimp is pregnant ! .... there are lots of yellow eggs under her stomach.

I would like to seek from your advice on basic care for baby shrimps .

OK,

1) Will my 5 tetra, small SAE, other shrimps (small yamato and malayan) attack them ? Should the pregnant shrimp be removed to elsewhere ?

2)Since there are mixed type of shrimps in my tank will the baby shrimp turn out to be mixed breed ? (eg chilli & yamato)

3) How long will baby shrimp come out ? i just notice eggs today.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Kok Yong
    I have not heard of a red chilli shrimp before. Maybe its Red cherry shrimp
    1) Yes if the shrimp fry is spotted by the tetra. Not so sure about yamato's and malayan.
    2)Not possible.
    3)?
    4)Some of the eggs might not be fertilize.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: A Red chilli shrimp is pregnant !

Kok Yong, to expect a 1:1 hatch ratio is way too optimistic. With what you have in the tank, you're very lucky to end up with 2 'shrimplets'.

Baby shrimps are helluva tiny and my older eyes can't spot them until they're much bigger. There's safety and food in java moss, so leave a thick clump for them and higher survival is possible if the shrimps are by themselves.

BTW, what's this 'Red Chilli' shrimp The only chilli shrimps I know are those that go with chilli crabs!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron,

I do have a racing red shirmp (My own creation) It is actually a super solid red cherry shirmps. Interested to view the pictures?

Regards
    Nicholas

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have a very red Malayan shrimp. So red, that it puts many Cherry shrimp to shame, and even redder than the Fire shrimp. I was extremely pleased with it and was gonna try and breed it.

One Saturday night, when the regulars were hanging out, one of them said... "Hey, Ron! Now I know why your shrimp is soooo red!! It's dead!"

Nicholas, if your 'racing red' shrimp is ready to do a few laps on the tracks, sure, let's see what you've got there.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ron,

Please view my gallery for some pictures of my shirmps.

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/wackytpt/shirmps/

rgds
    Nicholas

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wackytpt
    I do have a racing red shirmp (My own creation) It is actually a super solid red cherry shirmps. Interested to view the pictures?
    Well well... there's already a big confusion over the shrimps on their names and here comes another!!

Cherry shrimps will display different red colour depth in various conditions and the food they take. So a cherry shrimp be it with intensive red or pale colour it's still be cherry shrimp in my opinion.

Kok Yong,

I suggest you start a 1ft tank with some mosses and place the mother shrimp in it. When the shrimps hatch out, feed them with koi food pallets. This way, most of the baby shrimp will be able to make it.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well well, just to repost some of the pics to join in the fun. Cherry shrimps carry an intense red gene as these seem to occur quite regularly in a large population. I would say maybe 1 in 50 or 1 in 100 would be of such red intensity.

super-red cherry shrimp

Ronnie, super red malayan do you mean like this one? Actually mine is closer to dried-chillie.

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    Well well... there's already a big confusion over the shrimps on their names and here comes another!!

Cherry shrimps will display different red colour depth in various conditions and the food they take. So a cherry shrimp be it with intensive red or pale colour it's still be cherry shrimp in my opinion.

Kok Yong,

I suggest you start a 1ft tank with some mosses and place the mother shrimp in it. When the shrimps hatch out, feed them with koi food pallets. This way, most of the baby shrimp will be able to make it.
    Hi Kok Yong,

I think you got me wrong. What i mean is that I nickname my cherry shrimps as "racing red". I do agree. A cherry is also cherry regardless if it is super red or pale red.

Do sound so upset. Never meant to confuse anyone.

Regards
    Nicholas Poey

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi HWChoy,

May I ask how do you attached images to the post? Wish to share the pictures of my cherry shirmps

Regards
    Nicholas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi HWChoy,

May I ask how do you attached images to the post? Wish to share the pictures of my cherry shirmps

Regards
    Nicholas
    My pics are hosted on my own site. I just hot link them.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your advices and photos !

Ok, your are right ,it should be red cherry shrimp and not red 'chilli' shrimp. My 'pregnant' shrimp of very red also (85% red as in the picture)

Me too experience malayan shrimp changing color, the other week i have one that turns light blue for a few days. They do become light pink at times.

Anyway, i learnt on the internet that it take 2-3 week for the eggs to hatch and i will remove the mother from the tank and later gives those babies fish-food to eat.

Can't wait to have a family of red shrimps in my tank. I hope the birth-rate is good after doing all these.

Regards
    Kok Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is too darn easy to breed cherry shrimps as long as you have lots of hiding places and infusoria to feed the larvę. I always find cherry shrimps (sometimes up to 20-30) in my canister filter whenever I open it for cleaning.

Hi all,

My pregnant red cherry prawn's egg hatch liao !

There is about 10 baby prawns, each 2mm of length. They are transparent white in color and will remain stationary most of the time. When touched, they will jump away. I can see that they have 'change-skin' already.

Takes them 2 weeks to hatch.

Regards
    Ban Huat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I can see that they have 'change-skin' already
    Regards
    Ban Huat
    "Silvertetra", you previously signed off as 'Kok Yong' but now, 'Ban Huat'. Which are you exactly?

Also, 'change-skin' is actually changing shell. A process call molting.
    Ronnie Lee