Country
    Singapore

DIY Chiller using a mini bar fridge

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

My project using a freezer as a chiller is almost complete. I doubt many of you can use a freezer too as it's quite big. It can be an eyesore if you don't have a place to hide it from view. A mini bar fridge is a better option as it's small enough to be hidden in the cabinet below the fish tank.

Some of you were pretty keen on this earlier so if anyone wants to organise the buying of mini bar fridges in bulk, please go ahead now. You have my experience with the freezer as a guide. Instead of using a plastic tub to hold the hose, a plastic bag would be a better idea as it can be manipulated to fit the insides of a mini bar fridge. There's a danger though, the water may all spill out. The cost of a new bar fridge is about $160. The hose costs only $10. Together with the other fittings, the total cost shouldn't exceed $200.

Take note that my lowest recorded temperature with the freezer was about 23.0 C. And that was when it was raining. With a bar fridge, chances are it will work well only with small tanks.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thanks Loh for all the updates!

BTW I am sure that the mini fridge will work really well. Remember James chillier uses a thermal plate underneath the hose??

This thermal plate is actually used for freezing water to ice cube. With this thermal plate modified and dip into the water, it will bring down the water in the tub quite substantially.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Hi all,
    I just got a new mini fridge (a Gift) and want to make chiller like people here are talking about.

Is there any way to make that chiller without make any hole at my fridge, I'm considering of sell it if the result doesnt as good as expected

FYI, I have 400lt tank, currently I get 26-27 C, can I make it to 24C with my mini-fridge ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquafans
    Is there any way to make that chiller without make any hole at my fridge, I'm considering of sell it if the result doesnt as good as expected
    Aquafans, I suppose you can do without holes by cutting 2 notches on the edge of the fridge's door. But I would say it's better to drill holes as it's easier to plug them with plasticine or some kind of filler if the DIY chiller doesn't work out. In any case, chances are pretty good you can sell a mini bar fridge with 2 holes already drilled on the top to one of the guys here.

FYI, I have 400lt tank, currently I get 26-27 C, can I make it to 24C with my mini-fridge ?
    I seriously doubt you can achieve 24 C. Your tank is even bigger than mine and I'm using a freezer. With a mini bar fridge, you'll probably get, at best temperatures of around 26 C. Are you already using fans?

By the way, we like to address each other by real names. If you can sign off with one, we will be delighted.

Loh K L

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    ..cutting 2 notches on the edge of the fridge's door.
    I still have to buy the rubber whenever I want to sell it

But I would say it's better to drill holes as it's easier to plug them with plasticine or some kind of filler if the DIY chiller doesn't work out.
    I guess it has 2 layer to drill, the metal-case and the inner part, right? is it hard to do that, can I do it myself ?

I seriously doubt you can achieve 24 C. Your tank is even bigger than mine and I'm using a freezer. With a mini bar fridge, you'll probably get, at best temperatures of around 26 C. Are you already using fans?
    Only get 26C ? the temperatur of my tank is 26 in the morning, 27+ at noon, it doesnt make any changes

By the way, we like to address each other by real names. If you can sign off with one, we will be delighted.
    My name is Jason
    thanks KL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am still keen and my target temperature is 24C~25C for my 50G tank.
    However, the constraint I have is space - the tank is in my living room and the only place I have for the chiller is in the cabinet :-(
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm surprised that quite a few hobbyists report that the temperature of their tanks is between 26 to 27 degrees C. As far as I know, without a chiller, the temperatures of our tanks hover above 30 C. Before I had my DIY freezer/chiller, my temperature is usually around 27 to 28. And that's because I use 3 cooling fans which blow non-stop. Only on raining days, do I get temps of 26 or lower. 26 is fairly common as it rains often but anything below 26 is rare. That kind of temperature usually occurs only around December. The lowest I've seen before I had the freezer/chiller was 24.3 on one very cold December morning a few years ago.

I kind of suspect many thermometers are off by about a degree or maybe 2.
    Cooling fans alone can't keep a tank at 26 to 27 C constantly. Our weather is too warm. It was really hot this afternoon and even with the freezer/chiller, my tank is 25.5 now.

Loh K L

I dont think my thermometer tell wrong number, there are some reason why my tank's temp around that number
    - I use oveflow filtration, waterflow can lower the temperatur
    - It is placed outdoor (but not direct sunlight), air circulation can again lower the temp
    - It is under exhaust fan, similar like using cooling fans
    - It has Metal halide hanging about 40cm above the tank, so top side of tank is open

I need 2 more degrees down, can I make it with this minibar fridge ?