United_States

Killie I.D.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anybody know the name of this killie,

Feedback Score
    Pseudoepiplatys annulatus (clown killie)
    Erik Thurfjell
    SKS 138, BKA 838-05, AKA 08998, SAA 251

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Killie I.D.

Dear what's-your-name Unknown,
    Welcome to the forum and I hope you're happy to know that this little fella has been covered in past threads.

I can close both eyes and tell you they are Epiplatys (Pseudepiplatys) annulatus... my fave killie :wink: Could you zoom in on the 3rd image? I detect some red in the pectoral fins...

Epiplatys Annulatus

ANN-E = European-sourced Ps. annulatus

Keeping ANNs (was Re : WTB: Pseudepiplatys annulatus)

Group Order?? - Epiplatys (Pseudepiplatys) annulatus

ANN From Plantas

Breeding the Epiplatys (Pseudepiplatys) annulatus

pseudepiplatys_annulatus

Epiplatys (Pseudepiplatys) annulatus fry

Although we're 'meeting' in cyberspace, this forum is still a closely knitted community and it's common courtesy to address each other / signing off in our names.

Erik, you're fast on this one :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

Me too.

Ron Ron, i also bought a pair just now. Shop keeper show me their picture. They are peat diver.

I got a challenge for you. The shop keeper mix up all the female killies (other species). I need some help to identify them.

will be posting them in a while.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by keehoe
    Ron Ron, i also bought a pair just now. Shop keeper show me their picture. They are peat diver.
    Calm down Kee Hoe. What did you just buy? ANNs?

If you believe what the LFS tells you, that they're peat diver, then tell you what... I have a special deal for you to own the Brooklyn Bridge :wink:

ANNs are NOT peat divers but plant spawners, preferring fine hanging roots or a spawning mop! [dive my foot... ]

I got a challenge for you. The shop keeper mix up all the female killies (other species). I need some help to identify them
    I'm afraid I won't rise up to that challenge. Some females of the same species are impossible (or very difficult to tell apart) and I wouldn't want to be held 'accountable' for my guesswork.

This mixed-up mess is between the LFS and their suppliers. Let them work it out. Besides, it's time they get their houses in order (proper mindset/attitude will help too).

Meanwhile, "Caveat Emptor" (Latin for "Let the Buyer Beware").
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Kekekeke, Ron so smart. Me the buyer loh. I bought 4 pair. One of them is this little cutie that IUnknown have. One pair is Aus. Gold. The other two pair i seen before in web. Once identify will post its picture. Mmmmm now i need to get something for them to do their busisness.

Ron, if i have a choice i really prefer to buy from member. At least they would never mix them up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks for all the great links. The tail has mostly yellow in it, but I will take a better look when I get home. From what I've read these fish prefer live food, so I will try the fruit fly trap and brine shrimp, otherwise just dry food. I also read at one website that they like to jump, is that true? My tank is an open top tank, so I hope not. Are there any other websites with more detailed information? For example I noticed that there is an air bubble on their head, is this where they breath? How can I tell male/females apart?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kekekeke, Ron so smart. Me the buyer loh. I bought 4 pair. One of them is this little cutie that IUnknown have. One pair is Aus. Gold. The other two pair i seen before in web. Once identify will post its picture. Mmmmm now i need to get something for them to do their busisness.

Ron, if i have a choice i really prefer to buy from member. At least they would never mix them up.
    Kee Hoe,
    I'm not smart but can smell trouble brewing in little ChinaTown Post that image up anyway but I suspect that 'peat diver' of yours is a notho.

FYI, coded fishes are available from fellow forum members... you just need to know where to look.

Greg,
    The ANNs do prefer live foods like adult BS, daphnia and even tubifex. When starved, they will unwillingly nip at a flake or two.

Although ANNs will feed at all levels of the water column, they are mostly surface feeders that will enjoy a treat of fruit flies. I used to culture vestigial drosophila but a fly trap is less work. [simple trap design at this thread]

About them taking 'the leap of faith', until they are settled in and comfy with the new home, they will jump... especially if there aren't any floaters or tank cover.

BTW, the only living creature I know that breathe through it's 'hole-in-head' is a whale so no, Greg, what you're looking at is a reflective spot. I don't know the reason for it being there but it doesn't matter... the ANNs look much better from the side.

Sexing is quite obvious. One wears a skirt, the other, a c*ndom (sorry ladies, it's just one of those moods). 'Body dimorphism' = sexual differentiation by the body shape, finnage and color intensity. Lemme go dig into my HDD for Lady ANN's pic.

BTW, Greg, would you mind editing your profile so I know where you're from as well? Much appreciated.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I also read that they eat ants. I have plenty, any problems with dropping ants for dinner?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Greg,
    I suspect that ants are part of their natural habitat diet. Mine are spoilt but will take an occasional ant or mosquito. Too much can't be good either.

Was hoping earlier, to ask if I could swing by and have a look at them but urm... it's a bit far, isn't it? :wink:

If you can get hold of Limnobium laevigatum (frogbits), Pistia stratiotes & Salvinia natans, as overhead shelter for the ANNs, they will definitely be less skittish. A floating 'raft' of riccia or Ceratopteris thalictroides is just as effective.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Thanks Ron, the picture are in my public gallery. P1_1 to P1_5. That is the first pair that i got and the shop keeper claim that this is the correct pair.

The other pair mmmmm waiting for you lady ANN's photo.

Can i keep ANN and Rachovii in same tank? They won't cross breed right?

Ron, a lot of member here are very kind, i am very embarrasse to ask them. I know a lot of them will give me fish willingly but i really haven't contributed much in this website.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Ron, the picture are in my public gallery. P1_1 to P1_5. That is the first pair that i got and the shop keeper claim that this is the correct pair.
    The picture P1_3 is a Nothobranchius flammicomantis.

Au SL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Keehoe, the picture P2_1 is showing a rather young Aphyosemion striatum. Looks like a young male to me.

I agree with Au the Notho you have there is N. flammicomantis. For the female there's no perfect way to ID them. The females almost look all the same.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Oh my god, i think i really get rojak here. My Aus. Orange start hassling the female i first though is female of N. flammicomantis.

The young Aphyosemion striatum (first though is female) start chasing another female fish. Guys i am in big trouble..... Don't scold me please....

Au, Can i buy from you instead? I need female for the few male i bought. They are so restless without the female. Help me find a home for the lonely heart.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kee Hoe,

I suggest separating the fishes that you bought and label them as Fish 1, Fish 2 etc. Label them with the proper species name only when you are very sure that they are those. Alternatively, you can put the whole lot in your planted tanks and never collect any eggs nor distribute the fishes if fry happen to appear in that tank.

What female are you looking for? The AUS Orange?
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score

Good Male looking for companion

Good Male looking for companion.

Guys i posted the image in my public gallery.
    Red, Gold and Big eye. Big eye is the one i posted previously. Looks cute when looking at the conner of the glass tank. Actual eyes wasn't that big. 0.^

Sorry about the blur picture and.... haven't learn how to put them in the post. Trouble you guys to look at the gallery. I just hope the fishes will be happy. The "red" fish is really dark red in colour. Looks good using green moss as background when sufficient natural light is available. I was using spot light when i took the picture. Not nice at all.

Today i found some egg on top of my tin leaf java fern. I think belongs to my tank cleaner fish.

The LFS very irresponsible. Mixing up all the species and still tell me that is "guarantee" matching pair. Hard lession learned.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kee Hoe, the last time I saw N. rubripinnis for sale the females were already mixed with australe females. Again there was some Simp. constanciae for sale and those were small in size and were almost all male. Even the supposed females had fin extensions.

The shop that I visited told me his supplier kept all the female killies in a single holding pond. When the supplier tried to pick out the females he had a really hard time differentiating the fish.

Since you already bought the fish its not your fault actually so don't worry about being ticked off. Take up Zul's suggestion and label the fish as Fish1 and Fish2. Other than that I have no ideas to help you out.

Aphyosemion striatum can be rather aggressive at times against smaller fish and even against the australes. You may have a major problem if you tried to mix Aphyosemions with Nothobranchius. Both have different temperaments and not so similar requirements.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kee Hoe,
    It seems caveat emptor came a little late but instead of blaming LFS, I would say that the suppliers are equally at fault. To them, killifishes are just a product. Whether coded or not, whether females of the respective species are mixed up, are of little consequence to them.

Prospective buyers should be informed consumers and if we got it wrong, tough. Playing match maker to un-ID'ed fishes would be a step in the wrong direction, IMHO.

Anyway, here's what both sexes of ANN looks like and from a distance, it seems like Greg has an all boys team there.

ANN male

ANN female

RAC and ANN won't hybridize but their requirements are somewhat different.

Also, I can't tell if you've got a striatum there but if it is, young males will slowly color up, like these A. striatum Lambaréné.

BTW, this is your pic of the 'gold'.

I suspect that to be Fundulopanchax gardneri 'Gold' morph. It has that distinctive red marking on the lower 'lip', typical in GAR species. [so now is it a AUS Gold or GAR Gold??]

Sort out what you can. Looks like you really have a mixed pot of killies there :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's a gardneri Gold there.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the help. I decided to keep all the "mix" killies in my display tank and they are very adorable on their own. Although won't breed them. Now i only have the ANN pair and the rachovii fry that are pure, i guess two species is enough to keep me busy for some time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast