Hi folks,
    Northern Alabama has been the recipient of freezing temps lately so I'm
    in the planning stage for spring projects. One of them is doing a 15 gallon
    and two 10 gallons where the filtration is completely hidden. The designer
    is Ken of Aquatic Bliss who submitted this idea but is incommunicado by
    pm or email (probably has been bombarded by people's questions and
    seeking permissions). Anyhoo, here's the URL:
    http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...read.php?t=240

This is also ideal for 3-sided tanks where the end of one side presents forward and where you can view both front and back sides of the tank

He also has pictures of it planted in the gallery section of APC. I'm hunting
    for parts for this project currently, and would like your opinion of this.

Regards,

Bill

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Its a very nice project but maintenance of the internal overflow filter can be quite a chore. Apart from that the filter actually takes up quite a bit of tank space thereby reducing the area available to work.

In SG we have these tanks ready-made by local tank makers but I guess even a simple small tank like the one made by Aquarium Systems would be adequate for such an application. Best part is, that system from the company already comes with an internal filter that has a heater integrated within the filter chamber.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Its a very nice project but maintenance of the internal overflow filter can be quite a chore. Apart from that the filter actually takes up quite a bit of tank space thereby reducing the area available to work.
    Not exactly a "glowing endorsement," but I appreciate your feedback. I
    don't find the space needed for this as subtractive, since I'm going purely
    for aesthetics, followed by function. What I need to investigate is how
    much time I want to devote cleaning the filter

In SG we have these tanks ready-made by local tank makers but I guess even a simple small tank like the one made by Aquarium Systems would be adequate for such an application. Best part is, that system from the company already comes with an internal filter that has a heater integrated within the filter chamber.
    Yep, you SG guys are lucky to have these custom tank makers, readily
    available, and at reasonable prices. The Aquarium Systems tanks (Elipse,
    right?) I don't care for, for the same reason Wright doesn't: the light is to
    the back of the tank, not the front. And the filtration with integrated heater
    is not such a boon if I'm going with killies. If I decided to have a small
    school of tiger barbs, though, I could install a heater in the space provided.
    The design offers more flexibility in filtration media, heating or not, and
    will cost about $25 fully loaded, plus the cost of the tank (Walmart 10 gallon tanks are still <$10USD. The $25 also includes parts for a single
    13W cf lighting fixture.

Bill

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: invisible filtration for small planted tanks

Bill,
    The link shows what's locally called IOS (Internal Flow System) and regardless of what's said, I will be using this filtration for my bedroom's 4tier 3ft setup. Henri filtration, which worked extremely well in my main rack, will also run simultaneously with the IOS (partially diverted output from the powerhead in the IOS will drive water up the Henri).

I don't think maintenance is a big issue if the prefiltering media for the largest debris, is at the front or easily accessible. It is then only a matter of rinsing this when necessary. The rest of the media or compartments should ideally be left undisturbed. If the sight of bacteria-coated media is considered an eyesore, adhesive based veneer (material of your choice) can be used to hide it.

Instead of the IOS running the width of the tank, it can also be rigged length-wise, albeit sacrificing some tank depth-of-view. A sculptured piece of black foam can provide a nice background while hiding the various compartments.

Go for it, Bill. Systems like these are very low in maintenance and it's a worthy Spring project. I'm a sump-nut and will be comparing notes with ya.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

Re: invisible filtration for small planted tanks

Go for it, Bill. Systems like these are very low in maintenance and it's a worthy Spring project. I'm a sump-nut and will be comparing notes with ya.
    Thanks, Ronnie, hope to have some pics by March (if it ever warms up!)
    I'll use my wife's new Sony digital camera when I do. She's going to
    Thailand in October with Thai and Lao friends she's met here in Huntsville,
    rather than going next month. Important trip for us as she will be buying
    this second and larger piece of property on a river where our house will
    be --Sorry, OT. Back to filters: I, too, like the Mattenfilter but I will definitely be looking for foam material that is not cerulean blue like in the
    pictures--would be screamers till it darkens with age. Are you going to use
    air or powerhead for the Mattenfilter?

Good hearing from you, and hope to see pics of your projects, too!

Regards,

Bill

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bill,

I like it for its' super neat solution. The display space is reduced but the water volume remain though.

Perhaps if it separating pane can be placed such a way that the front display panel is not obstructed would be great. I mean it would be triangular box, looking from the top.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps if it separating pane can be placed such a way that the front display panel is not obstructed would be great. I mean it would be triangular box, looking from the top.
    Freddy, I'm leaning towards the Mattenfilter setup that will be in one corner
    of the tank. Got several powerheads, but am looking for 2" charcoal gray
    foam, plus some dark colored channeling that the foam will slide down into.
    I'm getting a couple of 3-foot tanks this spring that will have a mattenfilter
    in each back corner. Still want to try Ken's filtration system on one 10
    gallon using one side of the tank. I will cap all the filtration system with
    wood on the outside of the tank which will match the wood trim I will glue
    to the corners, the base and hood of the tank. Thanks for your input.

Bill