Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Water parameters

Feedback Score

Water parameters

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have some questions regarding the water parameters. I've just set up a 3ft. planted tank.

Qs: Will using anti-chlorine alter the water parameters? I'm using Genesis. Is it advisable to use a 100% carbon filter to remove the chlorine?

Also, i notice after a 50% water change, the kh would be around 60ppm/3.4 degrees. After a few days, it will go up to 80ppm/4.5 degrees (using nutrafin test kit). Is this normal? What might cause the kh to go up? Btw, i'm using fossil stone in my tank.

Do we use salt in a planted tank? I understand some shrimps require an amount of salinity?
    Hew M.K

Feedback Score
    Using anti-chlorine (photgrapher's hypo) won't change water properties a lot, but is very unwise, these days. Water departments add ammonium to make the chlorine compounds that cause cancer not form. Ammonium and chlorine form chloramines, which are a stable form that doesn't go away with time like plain chlorine.

If you add an anti-chlorine to chloramines, there will be an unhealthy burst of ammonium that can damage your fish. Use an anti-chloraminator, instead, like Amquel, Prime, or Ammo Lock 2. [I don't know which "Genesis" is. It is important that you find out.] Serious breeders prefer carbon-filter removal, for the dechloraminators all tend to kill off the useful infusoria babies need as first food.

KH rises if there are carbonates in the tank. Many gravels contain bits of shell, and some ornaments (rocks?) can raise the KH, too. The difference is usually taken care of with water changes. The rate of change can be quite slow at high pH ( and very rapid when low (5), since CaCO3, etc. are really soluble only in more acidic water.

A bit of salt is a good idea, if your GH isn't too low. It can poison both plants and fish if the total electrolytes are too low (water too soft). Otherwise it is an essential electrolyte and can act as both a tonic and a disease fighter. Your rising KH implies that the GH is probably also high enough, but I would measure to be sure you have at least a few degrees.

Don't worry if the salt is iodized, but avoid the premium brands that use silicates to keep them free flowing. That was what started the old "don't use iodized salt" myth.

Hope that helps,

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Hi Wright, The product i'm using is by AP Aquarium Products. It claims it removes Chlorine and Chloramine. The usage is 1 drop per gallon.

Thanks for the help Wright. Everytime i post something here, i learn something new
    Hew M.K

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Water parameters

Hi Hew MK,

I think Wright has provided you all the answers you need.

If the KH/GH rise does not affect the plants/fishes, its' ok.

In my opinion, so long that you do not do large water change (more than 30%), you need not use those chemicals. You can reduce water change while keeping plant happy by having low fish load and feed them sparingly (once a day, 2 minutes feeds).

Feedback Score

Re: Water parameters

Quote Originally Posted by fc
    Hi Hew MK,

I think Wright has provided you all the answers you need.

If the KH/GH rise does not affect the plants/fishes, its' ok.

In my opinion, so long that you do not do large water change (more than 30%), you need not use those chemicals. You can reduce water change while keeping plant happy by having low fish load and feed them sparingly (once a day, 2 minutes feeds).
    Noted.
    Hew M.K