Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Tiny white maggot-looking living organism

Feedback Score

Tiny white maggot-looking living organism

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there, this is my first time posting to this section. I have a problem with my planted tank and need help.

I have these tiny white maggot-looking living organism crawling (very slowly) on my tank's wall surface and a few on the gravel. I have no idea where they come from! I use bio nitrifier and some flora plus solution in my planted tank and change 25 % of the water every week. The water is always clear even when I change them.

I had fed very moderate amount of tubifex worms to my fish last week (having had bad experience before with live-food, I do not dare to feed too much), but I suppose one or two tubifex escaped and burrow themselves deep into the substrate/gravel.

I have a feeling that the tiny maggot thingie has something to do with the tubifex. Btw, does baby tubifex look like maggot? It is very tiny, but you can still see them, crawling and staff. What worry me is that I think I saw one of my fish actually try snacking on them then spat it out.

Are these living organism 'normal' in planted tank (2 fts)? My aquarium only has a pair of killie and otto. Are these "maggot" dangerous? Will they post as a health hazard to my fishes? And my plants are turning yellow and algae appearing (brown) on my tank wall. The Otto is useless and not sucking on them. This make me wonder if those things are bacteria, germs or something. I need an answer before deciding whether to clear and throw away everything in my tank - except my fishes of course.

This has never happen to me before. I used to have a larger tank with much more fishes and plants with intense daily lighting (8 hours at least) and such organism never appear. Btw, I never feed worms to my fishes in that larger tank.

Need helps and informations urgently. Thanks.
    Gary

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If these worms are flat and have a "diamond-shaped" head then they're flatworms. These will move on the tank glass as if they're on some fluid motion.

If they are small, thin and white in colour and actually crawl on the glass, then they're probably oligochaete worms or some other nematode type of worm. These appear when you overfeed the fish.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.