Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am new to Killies

I am new to Killies

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

I am new to killies keeping, in fact I only started fish keeping seriously for the past three years. Had gone through some of the stickies and realised that there are Annual and Non-annual killies.

As a beginner, I would like to start off with the non-annual species first such as the Aphyosemion. What will be the recommeded species to a starter like me? I also truly support the forum's code to uphold the originality and strain of the killies. Thus, where can I purchase killies that had not gone through hybridisation?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Wow, polite, No-sms and singlish. Mmmmm too good to be real. Hope you don't think i am being rude. I like to joke most of the time. Anyway, welcome to the forum and to the world of killie.

Actually i should be calling you senior. I only started keeping fish "alive" since last september. I was fishing regularly previously. So those i that i didn't release (i kept) are all dead fish.

I think everyone is doing some preparation for the coming event. So might be hard to get killie in pair for the next few weeks.

What i can suggest you to do is to get some fish egg and do a lot of reading while waiting for the "event". Depends on what species you get, you should be able to hatch some fry and get started real soon.

I started with annual killie fish egg anyway.
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Dennis and welcome to the forum,

For beginners the best suited non-annual species would be Aphyosemion australe or AUS for short. I believe some of the guys here may still be holding them.

And thanks for supporting our code of ethics with regards to killifish populations and codes.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    I does have young and adult AUS gold in my tank and can spare you some if you are interested. FYI, the AUS gold is an aquarium strain if you don't mind.

BTW, I don't alway read private message.

Feedback Score
    Shortman also have some Rivulus Tenuis "tako talpa" if he don't mind me giving to you.
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    It shouldn't be given free consider the time and amount of effort to bring in the species and have it avaliable locally even it is not a nice species. Ronnie and you have spend lots of time on keeping the species and remember we do not know how long the when status of the fish will change to "EX".

FYI, this is a top layer fish the fry will stay on top of the water surface and required lots of hiding space. Bigger fry will eat smaller fry and adult fish is a good jumper.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Shouldn't that be Rivulus tenuis "Tako Talpa" ?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    But i have 5 pair of them. Although they are able to live peacefully in one tank but will team up against any new comer that drop into the tank. Not sure if a big Holland Ram can match up with their ferousity.
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would agree with Kho that the Rivulus tenuis, or any Rivulus for that matter, should not be given away free to new hobbyists. It takes effort and time to acquire these species. To give them away for free would be undermining their value.

We welcome people like Dennis Lim to the forum. It would be great if every new forum user observes our rules and makes an effort to understand the culture here before making his first post. We like to help him get started but let's give him the easier species to start with. A pair or a trio of Aphyosemion australes would be the perfect Killies for him.

If Kho does not have enough A. australes to spare, I would be delighted to pass some of mine to Dennis.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    OK, in that case i use them to do my experiment . I will try to breed them and see if able to keep the egg and hatch them. I realise once i touch the egg, it turn white the next day. Now that the male have fully colour up. Mmmmmm

I am also interested for some Aphyosemion australes to run around in my planted tank also in the near future. Any particular interesting strain i should look out for in Aquabid?
    KeeHoe.

Hi

Thanks for the warm welcome, replies and offers. I would be very happy to start off with Aphyosemion australes. I knew a lot of efforts, time and money were put into rearing these killies. Therefore, it is only very right that I purchase these kiliies instead of getting it free of charge.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock
    I would be very happy to start off with Aphyosemion australes. I knew a lot of efforts, time and money were put into rearing these killies.
    Hope you don't mis-understool me.
    I make sure the amount I get from fish exchange would help me to get new species into local, purely for hobby. The new species will then distribute to the serious breeder to continue the line.

Haha, sorry for those I pass the fish to, I push the responsibility to you.

Therefore, it is only very right that I purchase these kiliies instead of getting it free of charge.
    Since I got it free from Ronnie and AuSL, it shall be free of charge for you as well.

I just pass a batch to someone and new batch is ready.

I not sure about your tanks setup, so just let me know how many do you need.

KeeHoe, I reserve a spotless pair for you.

Cheers

Hi kho

No misunderstanding at all. In fact, I am glad that I will be receiving the killies from you. A pair will do fine for me at the moment due to limited space.

Please kindly let me know how can I collect the killies from you then?

Feedback Score
    Later i post some photo of my Rivulus Tenuis sure make you drool.
    KeeHoe.

Hi kho

Just like to know how can I meet up with you for the collection? Pardon me for my anxiety to get started.

Feedback Score
    Me too. If i remember correctly. Spotless is one of the most beautiful Aus.
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Me too. If i remember correctly. Spotless is one of the most beautiful Aus.
    Right on!!! I would just love to get hold of those again!

The spotless chocolates were also stunning fish.

When are you going to share that Riv. tenuis pic?

tt

Feedback Score
    Too bad, eggs send to italy takes 3 weeks. May be when they breed, hatch and grow into adult size then they can with stand 3 weeks journey.

Anyone know whats the incubation period for Aus. Egg in water? About two weeks?

For the Rivulus... Mmmm let me put on some makeup for them first. They are not very colourful fish. But believe me, they are fun fish to keep. Playful curious and brave and very good team work when attack fish bigger than them.
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Actually, the last parcel from Singapore took only 10 days.

Eggs on a damp mops (where they were spawned) take about 21 days to develop provided they are not fried by the temperatures.

The AUS eggs can take upto 6 weeks in peat... but again it depends on initial temperatures.

regards

Feedback Score
    I thought generally egg in water develope slower?
    KeeHoe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast