Country
    Singapore

Hatching unhatcheable brine shrimp eggs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

I got an email today which I think may be of interest to you all. I haven't tried it yet as all my brine shrimp eggs are the top grade ones but maybe one of you should try what she suggested:

hello...

after reading through ur website, i find it
    interesting. Due to the fact that i just acquired a
    pair of Simpsonichthys Papilliferus, and i am still
    new, so i am looking up as much info on it as i can
    get my eyes on.

upon stumbling on ur article on brine shrimp hacthing.
    i noticed that u said most of the eggs in the LFS does
    not hatch.

How about trying this out... it worked for me here in
    Ukraine... its a tip from one of my russian Discus
    friend... i was told to lay out the eggs in a thin
    layer on a dish or something, then place it under the
    sun for a day or two. then in that way, the hatch rate
    increases considerately... i did it n it worked for
    me. anyway, just a tip for everyone out there...

Loh K L

Feedback Score

Hatching unhatcheable brine shrimp eggs

Actually i am a guy... hehe....

but there are many more weird russian methods here... will let u guys/gals out there know when i find out more great new tips....
    My BELOVED girlfriend is grumbling bout my fishes... I just Love them Both...

Feedback Score
    Please do, the crazier the better I think
    However, I resolve the right not to follow every advice.
    Erik Thurfjell
    SKS 138, BKA 838-05, AKA 08998, SAA 251

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My dad's latest batch of brine shrimp eggs take 2 days of aeration before they're hatched. I'll try this out one day. But it sounds it could be a real mess.

joanne

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hatching unhatcheable brine shrimp eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Yinhui
    Actually i am a guy... hehe....
    Sorry I got your gender wrong, Yinhui but your name sounded feminine to me

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Nevermind, its okay... it happens sometimes with my name even here in Ukraine.

what i normally do is to put the eggs in a disposable dish and leave it by the window (with the windows closed of course)...

another tip: If you feed blood worms to your fishes, you can just put it in a plastic container that has a cover (the ones they give you when you purchase salad at the mall), and leave it in the fridge near the vegetable section (with the lid on). By doing so, i was able to keep my bloodworms alive for more than 2 weeks. But i rinse the worm to remove the dirty stuffs they produce every 3-5 days depending on the amount of bloodworms i am storing.

Yinhui.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to the forum, Yinhui. Looks like you're a long way from home and we hope this cybercorner will let you maintain contact with fellow countrymen.

You may have overlooked but before fellow forumers and moderators starts pounding on the usage of SMS lingo, may I respectfully suggest that you edit your posts. Your co-operation is most appreciated by myself and others.

As for hard-to-hatch brine shrimp eggs, sometimes marine salt does a better job, together with warmer temps.

For bloodworms in the vege bin, that's where the Mrs draws the line... until I get my own bar-fridge chiller, to hold worms and brew
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Sorry everyone for the SMS lingo.

This is the 1st forum that i ever sign up to....
    please do point out my mistakes, or anything...
    I will edit the past posts...

SORRY...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry everyone for the SMS lingo.
    On behalf of everyone, I accept your apology, Yinhui. This forum has some very unusual rules but as you get familiar with them, I believe you will like them. Basically, what we're trying to do is build a community of fish and aquatic plant lovers who are considerate of each other. We have at least one forum user who's a little dyslexic. If you write your posts all in small letters, she will have problems understanding what you're saying.

We also have many forum users who live in various parts of the world. We want them to stay and be part of this community. It's basic courtesy that we write our posts in such a way they are easy to read. Besides capitalising the start of every sentence, we also break up our posts into neat paragraphs. When latin names are mentioned, we put them in italics because that's the way they should appear in print.

You can say we're pretty serious about our hobby but the fact is, we believe that everyone should be considerate of others. The regulars here spend a lot of their free time answering questions without gaining anything in return. The least we should do is show them some courtesy by the way we write our posts.

We come down hard on those who use sms lingo in their posts because we don't want to waste time figuring out what the short forms stand for. Also, we hate to see anyone butcher the English language.

That said, have you ever tried decapsulating your brine shrimp eggs? I have a page here that shows how it is done.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This is the 1st forum that i ever sign up to....
    Yinhui, we feel honored that this forum is worth signing up for and hope that you'll learn something new with every visit.

A thought occured to me while at work and wondered if those who have had problems hatching BSeggs, bought stock that weren't stored properly.

There was a post from Wright about storage and moisture damage to eggs but I can't recall which thread it was. [Has something to do with moisture triggering wrong/untimely hatching signals to the eggs].

For some of us, we buy BSeggs by the can and store them in the fridge or vege bin. When we need to repack the eggs into smaller quantity, usually in film canisters, we'd let the sealed can sit out until it reaches room temperature to avoid condensation. After repacking, I'd leave one canister next to the tanks and the rest return to the vege bin. [The defrosting compartment works equally well]

The other reason could have been 'dirty' hatching vessels. It was repeated in KillieTalk List that the bacterial coating has an effect on hatch rates, so those concern might want to scrub down the vessels/hatchery before preparing the next batch.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee