Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: if you have brown algae, read this…

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Bill, found several of 'em critters but they're pretty small. Didn't get any. However I did a trade with an acquaintance for some of these fellas instead in exchange for my excess hornwort (quite a hefty amount):

Cute aren't they?

They're now in my 3footer community planted. Observed them feeding on the food chips that I fed to my other fishes. Image of the tank below. I just did a hasty revamp awhile ago (incomplete) and the red ramshorns really add colour to the scenery.

Pardon the appearance of some equipment. My first prototype CO2 reactor based on Tom Barr's design is on the left. Works quite well so far.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ruyle
    Wright, what snail is this from New Zealand?

Bill
    The New Zealand Mud Snail. It looks about like a miniature MTS, but has awesome reproductive ability. See, as a starting place:

http://www.esg.montana.edu/aim/mollusca/nzms/

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Hi Jianyang,
    your red snails are beautiful. But the species name looks a bit strange to me. I know these snails under the name Planorbis corneus. What you have should be the red color morph. It lacks some pigments and so the shell is lighter colored than the wild brwon ones. The body of the snail is red colored because it has hemoglobin to transport oxigen. BTW, there is also a color morph / strain which has a colorless shell as well as a blue one.

Regarding these horn snails, there was a larger import to Europe in the last weeks. They appeared in our LFS in smaller quantities also a few months ago when I bought two of them. The grow quite fast in freshwater. The shell of my yellow-olive one grew about 1cm in a half year. That's pretty fast in my opinion. But it developed no new spikes. My yellow-live one often tries to mate with my olive one which is not possible, they seem to be two different Clithon species.

regards

Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jianyang, the reactor placement is wrong! The outlet should be pointing downwards. You are not going to keep the CO2 in to dissolve with your placement. Getting critters to help out on algae issues are fine but solving the root cause is the long term solution.

Use the CO2 and the reactor properly...now I know why you have BBA..

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Jian Yang,
    Those are some pretty reds! About the horn snails, how much in US adjusted dollars were they asking for them? Just curious..the next time you go perhaps someone can paypal you funds to help

Glad to see one of the Barr reactors running! I see Peter has corrected
    its placement It doesn't use a viewtainer, though. His (Barr's) new deal involves a good diffuser set down low in the back of a tank and mounting the return spraybar vertically in the back so that the current distributes the bubbles better amongst the plants. This approach is quite similar to what Amano has been doing all along The issue is dissolved CO2 vs pure CO2 collecting on the plants. Folks have found
    this to not use as much CO2, yet give excellent growth. This method is
    for compressed gas injection, to where it can be shut off easily at night.

Wright: that is disturbing news about the mud snail....

Bill

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bill,
    They cost S$1 = US$0.60 each.
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscesgirl
    I want to know about this BBA eating snail too -- although I wouldn't be able to put it in my BBA infested tank anyway (clown loaches). I miss snails in that tank
    Clown loaches are no fools. If no one offered to de-shell the snail – whatever species, no matter how small – they won’t eat of it. That’s my experience with my 2 clown loaches, which have been with me for 4 years.

I once had a bad snail colonization, and my clown loaches would swim to the snail, scrutinise it quizzically with wide-eyed “what the heck are these?” expression, and swim away.

I come, I see, I swam away, so they say.
    Go ahead, get that snail!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GanCW
    Bill,
    Gosh, that's cheap! Who do I paypal, plus express shipping?
    I'd want maybe 12-16 of them. Didn't check, but is it asexual reproduction?

Jian Yang, I'll buy some for you, too, for your trouble!

Deborah wants some, that's why 12-16

Wait a minute, I hope to have an express shipment from Ronnie where
    these could be added.....hummmm. If I don't win the auction, somebody
    is gonna pay dear for one pair of fish

Bill

Feedback Score
    When I get the Novalek order, we can talk about the snails again: I'll post
    a pic here of burning a breather bag with a Bic lighter "It's a bag a day, fellas, 'til I get them snails!"

Honestly, would I do that? Moi? Naw, I'm just kidding! Muhahahahahah!

Bill

Really, just kiddin'

Feedback Score
    Actually my clown loaches are terribly good snail eaters. Malaysian Trumpets, Ramshorns, pond snails -- they eat em all. There's a couple snails that survive because they are in the filter but otherwise if I put a snail in that tank, they'll hunt it down.
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If I don't win the auction, somebody is gonna pay dear for one pair of fish
    Pardon the sporadic participation, Bill. It was awkward to have you popping into the auction but if you can help to partially offset the shipping cost, I'll have the FIL, red rams and others, stuffed into the box.

I'm not concerned if the auction gets me a good price for the effort but I'm helluva worried whether the contents will slip past watchful eyes.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ronnie,
    I expect to pay auction price plus shipping, period. I'm not going to
    handicap you guys when I bid on your fish. If I send over something as
    a gift that's that , but an auction is a business transaction. The red snails
    are nice, would like some, and if someone can get me some of the little
    horn snails, just add the price to the shipment, thanks!

My maxbid was pretty healthy, so I hope to win this auction!

And I will be keeping my fingers crossed when the box is sent!

Bill

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Jianyang, the reactor placement is wrong! The outlet should be pointing downwards. You are not going to keep the CO2 in to dissolve with your placement. Getting critters to help out on algae issues are fine but solving the root cause is the long term solution.

Use the CO2 and the reactor properly...now I know why you have BBA..

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Peter, I actually thought about that bit. I was doing it up the way Tom did it the first time round.

So maybe he kinda fixed the idea a little. I have another set of prototypes based on Cornhusker's idea. Bill sent those and some viewtainers to me and I'm working on building the 2nd prototype. Haven't gotten the rigid tubing yet but will be doing so over the weekend.

I know why I have BBA but then again, its losing the battle against my hornwort and duckweed.

I finally found the root cause of the problem when I did a cleanup of my canister. Didn't maintain it for the past year or so and when I took it out for cleaning.. the amount of gunk simply "amazed" me. No wonder my shrimps and snails didn't survive last time.. too much nitrate from all that gunk.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Hi Jianyang,
    your red snails are beautiful. But the species name looks a bit strange to me. I know these snails under the name Planorbis corneus. What you have should be the red color morph. It lacks some pigments and so the shell is lighter colored than the wild brwon ones. The body of the snail is red colored because it has hemoglobin to transport oxigen. BTW, there is also a color morph / strain which has a colorless shell as well as a blue one.
    Hi Robert, yes I am not certain of their actual scientific name but these guys breed true to their colour. According to the person who gave me these, he said his started from just 5 individuals.

I see the names corneus and rubrum used together to describe this snail on some websites, for example Planorbis corneus/rubrum. I thought they'd probably be rubrum since they've bred true. They seem to have a shorter set of antennae as compared to the usual brown ones. Of the browns I know that there's the brown and red forms of corneus but they interbreed freely and the babies are usually brown when the two forms are crossed. It was mentioned that the red colour is recessive.

Regarding these horn snails, there was a larger import to Europe in the last weeks. They appeared in our LFS in smaller quantities also a few months ago when I bought two of them. The grow quite fast in freshwater. The shell of my yellow-olive one grew about 1cm in a half year. That's pretty fast in my opinion. But it developed no new spikes. My yellow-live one often tries to mate with my olive one which is not possible, they seem to be two different Clithon species.
    Yes the horn snails grow quickly. My last remaining horned snail has grown quite a far bit and its still going on strong. The rest of my horned snails and zebra nerites have gone up to the big snail pond in the sky.

Here in Singapore we have a greenish-olive horned snail and a dark grey one, which mine is. They are certainly two different Clithon species. I never saw them attempting a mating but that would really be an eye-opener.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by GanCW
    Bill,
    Gosh, that's cheap! Who do I paypal, plus express shipping?
    I'd want maybe 12-16 of them. Didn't check, but is it asexual reproduction?

Jian Yang, I'll buy some for you, too, for your trouble!

Deborah wants some, that's why 12-16
    Hi Bill,

I can get them for you via a private order with my local LFS guy. But the sizes are pretty small (roughly 1.5cm in shell size), the striped version shown on the 1st page of this thread is even smaller, less than 1cm in shell size. They have bat snails? (looks like a freshwater version of the limpet to me) and some of the nerites too.

They're a neat snail to have but I think they don't reproduce asexually like most of the other snails.

If you don't mind the sizes, then its no problem in getting them. I can add them on to Ron's box.

Feedback Score
    Jian Yang,
    How big do these horn snails get? If they get as big as a golfball, I may
    not want them If they stay under an inch, that would be good.
    The one in Gan's pic, is that a striped one?

Wright informs me that I should check with F &WL (Fish and Wildlife) to
    see if snails can go with fish in the same box. Since I want express
    courier, do they have the same stringent regs? Do they fall under the same
    inspection routines as government-owned transport(?) that's what I
    need to find out. Courier express is the only way to go be it FedEx or someone else.

Bill

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As far as I know they remain pretty small. Less than an inch at max size I think. The young ones are even smaller but the spikes are evident at that size.

The nerites however are a lot larger. They'll get into sizes around 4 cm or so. I had seen one huge Zebra Nerite sometime ago and it was the same size as an adult golden apple snail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    As far as I know they remain pretty small. Less than an inch at max size I think. The young ones are even smaller but the spikes are evident at that size.
    Deborah and I are very interested in these! I'm sure she doesn't want any
    snail the size the apples get....

LMK, what you find, and please get some of these for yourself. I think I
    still have Ronnie's paypal address, but if not, I'll be emailing him

Bill

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll keep you updated, either via email or through here. Send me a note via email just to remind me. I'll see what I can do regarding the snails, or, Mr Ronnie here can help you order some from his regular LFS haunt.

Feedback Score
    Jian Yang,
    Just found out from Wright that express courier falls under the same inspections,
    etc, as regular mail. That means the customs form should
    be a frank presentation of contents. Any hiccup in this, and it's instant
    FUBAR! That's life, across the pond.... Tomorrow I'm going to check if
    snails can be in the same box as the fish. Will keep you posted.

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast