Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Canister Filter

Feedback Score

Canister Filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    anybody noe wad and how the media for the filter should be arrange ?????

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    moving this to the equipment section
    Allen

Feedback Score
    opps... i'm sorry... thank anyway !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i will try to reply again too

the very important thing is to establish whether the flow of water through your canister is top-down or bottom-up.

in any case, the sequence (in the direction of water flow) will be mechanical, then biological, then chemical (if any)

I do not know what brand are you using, because all established brands have their own system and naming of their various medias. If you are not familiar with them, it will be senseless to tell you names like ehfisubstrate, siporax etc etc. likewise there are many many products in the market. confusing if you are new to it.

Generally, mechanical media are stuff like floss/fibres/coarse sponges. Their purpose is to trap the big waste particles, before entering the :

Biological part, whose media often look "smoother" because the main role is to house the microscopic beneficial bacteria. they often have microscopic pores. eg are ceramic rings.

Chemical, is stuff like charcoal, zeolite. I dont advocate using them. Because, firstly, they have a certain lifespan and need constant maintence to function properly (for the case of charcoal, a full replacement). Secondly, they give ppl a false sense of security, because they sound powerful.

the best is just a mechanical followed by biolgical layer.
    wash/replace just the mechanical part. do not touch the biological part as much as you can.