Thread: Most economical filter media

Feedback Score

Most economical filter media

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

First off, this could be in the fishy section or in the plant section. But since I usually hang out here, I'll just post this here.

Not sure if anyone has read this suggesting using "Nylon Pot Scrubbies (see picture), Plastic Strapping Tape, Springflow media and PVC Shavings" as filter media.
    Did anyone used other stuffs other than the norms, like ceramic rings, sintered glass etc... ? How efffective were they ?

Regards
    Kenny
    Kenny

Feedback Score
    Country
    Italy
    Kenny,
    there are many filter media that, although not aquarium specific, can be used with good success.
    Everything that is atoxic, that offers a good surface to volume ratio and that allows a good water flow is suitable.

There are many media that have, more or less, the same efficiency than bioballs (like Dupla Biokaskade or others).
    For a tiny bit of their cost of course.

Feel free to experiment by yourself.

Kind regards.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kenny,

Thank you for the article, it is interesting and that's what hobbies encounter in their aquariums.

I always think that those filter mat are the best in term of overall performance, maintainability and longivity but now I learn about nylon pot scrubber.

Those ceramic, lava rocks or fine pores media will be clogged eventually. However, I wonder if those clogged medias have/contain anaerobic bacterias which could make up the jobs left off by the aerobic ones.

Filter wools (Polyethylene Beads?), are very good mulms/debris trapper which is important to some hobbies/aquariums. For my case, I plan to remove it from my marine tank in my next wash as I feed brine shrimps which may be trapped there.

Feedback Score
    No problem, I read that in another forum and I'm just passing on the find.
    I was quite suprised about the scrubbers really. I too have always thought that only materials with billions of tiny pores or nooks and crannies (and expensive) are the best. Never thought the bacteria would be able to hold on to nylon, which is seemingly so slippery. Guess I belittled the teeny weeny yet mighty bacteria !
    Kenny