Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: AGA Convention in Nov.

Feedback Score

AGA Convention in Nov.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Well, I just signed up for the AGA bash, so will be there taking pictures. I may miss the Nov. BAKA meeting, the following Sat. Not sure right now. [Maybe not, if they assemble a box for you.]

This convention is in San Francisco, just a few weeks before I leave for Singapore. If I should be on the lookout for anything special, perhaps you can PM or email me?

More when I know more.

Wright

PS. Mandatory plant stuff to stay on topic -- Saw some beautiful Azola (green shading to purple) on this morning's hike along the Bishop Canal.
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There was once I sent some aquatic plants to a friend attending the AGA convention and she managed to raise a few hundred US dollars from the plants by auctioning them off during the convention. And that was after the AGA took half the amount. In other words, the plants I sent were sold for almost a thousand US dollars. But the money raised was contributed to the defense fund cause.

I wonder if I should do the same again, Wright. Would you like to take some exotic mosses to the convention and put them up for auction? I don't know what you should do with the money though but perhaps, you could keep some of it and give the rest to the society that looks after unwanted pets, the one where you are a volunteer.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I would love to support the US aquatic gardening hobby by bringing in some exotic mosses for the convention auction.

Any proceeds could be either donated to ICARE, as you suggest, or could be entered as "contributions" with the entire auction price going to support the AGA. I would be happy to reimburse you for the shipping, as my part of either kind of contribution.

Let me know if and when they are coming, and mark any package as "PERISHABLE" which warns my mail delivery lady to leave them in the air-conditioned post office and not my sunny (i.e., hot) mail box. She calls me when a perishable package arrives.

BTW, within the US, a marking of "perishable" is a magic word that assures loading on the next flight and quickest delivery.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wright,

As far as I know, the AGA will take half of the proceeds from the auction so whether we give them the money or not, they are going to a beneficiary either way. I will let you decide who you want to give the money to.

Come October, I will send the plants to you. They will not be arriving in boxes but in envelopes. I don't have to send a lot because as far as auctions go, "rarity" counts a lot more than "quantity". When I sent the Narrow Leaf Java Ferns to Daphne Freeman a few years ago, they were very rare in the market, so rare that even in Singapore, hardly any fish shop sells it. I only sent a few bunches but they were enough to raise almost a thousand dollars. Daphne told me later that even after the auction was over, a few hobbyists kept bugging her for more of the plant.

Loh K L