Thread: Aplocheilichthys sp.Akaka

Feedback Score

Aplocheilichthys sp.Akaka

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,
    I've asked this on the BKA e-mail list, but thought I'd put it here to see if any different people can offer me some advice!

I have some eggs of these coming soon and am struggling to find any solid information on them. I've been told that they are probably actually Rhexipanchax, not Aplocheilichthys, and may be best in neutral to slightly acid water.

Can anyone on here offer any opinions/experiences/advice?

BTW there's a picture of them here taken by the guy I've bought them from. http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ishe1182131244

Cheers,
    Ed.
    Ed

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Aplocheilichthys sp.Akaka

Ed, you've gotten the eggs off a good man. Charles can be a tad slow in responding at times but he's very helpful and knowledgeable.

I read 'lampeye' in the auction description and the first thing that came to mind is neutral to pH7.5 water. Good aeration and water circulation won't hurt. That's what I can think of for now. Nothing from experience, just a guesstimate.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Chuck's been great. If anything I've messed him around as I was away on a residential trip with my class when he wanted to ship the eggs! He's been especially helpful as he doesn't usually ship to the UK.

I have to admit I haven't actually asked him for any info yet, though I will be soon, I just wanted to see if anyone else has kept them or related species and can give me some pointers - just like you have, thank-you!
    Ed

Feedback Score
    Well the eggs finally arrived today! They'd spent 9 days in the post getting all the way from Hawaii to Nottingham and Chuck and I both assumed they'd be dead when, or indeed if, they arrived.

However on opening the box to find two breather bags full of water, I was amazed to see fry swimming around! Incredibly 11 fry had hatched out, probably somewhere over the Atlantic, and they were still alive, with 11 more eggs with the fry clearly there inside too. Absolutely amazing!

Chuck has said similar things to you Ron.

He's suggested pH around 7, a little tannin colour in the water, and temperature in the mid 70s oF (or about 24oC in new 'money'!). They can eat BBS as a first food too. Hopefully they'll enjoy the Microworms they're tucking into at the moment too!
    Ed

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ed, I share the same joy when I used to receive eggs from overseas and yes, NOTHING beats seeing fry in a little ball of water! Those breather bags are a life-saver and I'm sold on them. Hell... I insist on breathers for non-annuals anyway!

Update us on how the little buggers are doing. I might not have lots of killies now but it's good to feel other's excitement.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee