Country
    Singapore

Re: US fissiden grow faster with lower light and no co2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasliao View Post
    Any success with tanks wothout co2? There are a couple of posts in the forum that users have success with non co2 tanks as well.
    If you mean no CO2 at all, then it is not possible. All plant nead CO2 . If you mean no CO2 injection, sure, read my post #26. Low tech tank mean no CO2 injection
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow! us fiss without co2?..i'll probably try this..hope it will work

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Yes,
    Many plants grow better without CO2. I am disappointed that I bought into CO2.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Atmagoulick, that is a over-generalized statement. Coming from Michigan, I'm guessing your tank's temperature is pretty low, perhaps 22-25° Celsius or 71-77° Fahrenheit? Living in one of the northern states, your year-round average temps range from 14°F to 83°F (-10°C to 28°C). Is that not right?

Plants certainly do much better in cooler waters but CO² fertilization has a place in the aquatic hobby. It's a matter of how we use it.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I use fluorescent lights in one tank and metal halide lights in another. The temperature is in the mid 60's to low 70's year round. The water is from the Detroit river. It has lots of minerals left from the glaciers. CO2 did not increase plant growth. It only lowers the ph. This is from my observations. I have three CO2 regulators to sell or trade you. Two of them are "Carbon Doser" . According to the website www.aquariumplants.com "the most precise CO2 regulator in the world". One is up-aqua.com. It is also an electronic CO2 regulator for a larger aquarium.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by atmagoulick View Post
    I use fluorescent lights in one tank and metal halide lights in another. The temperature is in the mid 60's to low 70's year round. The water is from the Detroit river. It has lots of minerals left from the glaciers. CO2 did not increase plant growth. It only lowers the ph. This is from my observations. I have three CO2 regulators to sell or trade you. Two of them are "Carbon Doser" . According to the website www.aquariumplants.com "the most precise CO2 regulator in the world". One is up-aqua.com. It is also an electronic CO2 regulator for a larger aquarium.

The regulator on the left is a custom made Cornelius single stage regulator, I've built one about 3-4 weeks ago. You dont need a carbon doser.
    The regulator on the right is china made regulator.

LAND OF THE FREE.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by atmagoulick View Post
    Yes,
    Many plants grow better without CO2. I am disappointed that I bought into CO2.
    in a low light, it is possible to go without CO2. But, when you go med to high light, especially you want a colored plants, then CO2 is ideal.
    LAND OF THE FREE.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

is it a must to have low temperatures for mini fissiden to grow well? mine's been turning a little dark and growing very slowly

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dan001 View Post
    is it a must to have low temperatures for mini fissiden to grow well? mine's been turning a little dark and growing very slowly
    Not really necessary, i keep mini fissidens in my tanks with average room temperatures of 28-29°C without issues.

I've even kept them in outdoor containers that hit 31-32°C and they still grow too. So its possible for them to adapt over time.

You can check out my outdoor grow-out thread for some reference: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ject-Fissidens

Mini fissidens do tend to be slow growers even in the best conditions though, so you just have to be patient with them. The advantage of slow growth is they are also relatively low maintenance plants too.

Their color is also generally darker in comparison to the other types of mosses like java or christmas moss, so its their natural characteristic. The color can also be affected by light availability too, less light = darker green.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 11th Mar 2016 at 16:56.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Not really necessary, i keep mini fissidens in my tanks with average room temperatures of 28-29°C without issues.

I've even kept them in outdoor containers that hit 31-32°C and they still grow too. So its possible for them to adapt over time.

You can check out my outdoor grow-out thread for some reference: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ject-Fissidens

Mini fissidens do tend to be slow growers even in the best conditions though, so you just have to be patient with them. The advantage of slow growth is they are also relatively low maintenance plants too.

Their color is also generally darker in comparison to the other types of mosses like java or christmas moss, so its their natural characteristic. The color can also be affected by light availability too, less light = darker green.
    Ah I see! thanks for the advice. I have been growing it for a few months now, i guess i need to dedicate more light to it haha. Mine does not grow in height anymore, been stagnant for a while now, is there a reason for it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dan001 View Post
    Ah I see! thanks for the advice. I have been growing it for a few months now, i guess i need to dedicate more light to it haha. Mine does not grow in height anymore, been stagnant for a while now, is there a reason for it?
    Well, mini fissidens do tend to stay short and compact with individual fronds growing to at most 2cm length... i usually see them growing more densely across an object over time, rather than grow longer (hence its low maintenance characteristic, no need to trim so often). They don't actually keep growing into long strands like christmas moss or java moss.

I do notice that once an entire object is covered densely in mini fissidens, they tend to stop growing and start flaking bits off (which will float around and attach to other objects). Usually by then most people will trim and harvest the mini fissidens to reattach onto more objects.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Well, mini fissidens do tend to stay short and compact with individual fronds growing to at most 2cm length... i usually see them growing more densely across an object over time, rather than grow longer (hence its low maintenance characteristic, no need to trim so often). They don't actually keep growing into long strands like christmas moss or java moss.

I do notice that once an entire object is covered densely in mini fissidens, they tend to stop growing and start flaking bits off (which will float around and attach to other objects). Usually by then most people will trim and harvest the mini fissidens to reattach onto more objects.
    Ahh i see! Thanks a lot for the explanation! Now i understand what is happening to mine!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think it is because of temperature are 25 - 27C

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, any bro here has some excess of this moss to spare? Please pm me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123