Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Amblystgium in aquaria...in 1960

Amblystgium in aquaria...in 1960

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Scheel mentions it in the breeding description for Trigonectes, here: http://killi.net/articles/by_Author/.../Letter_No_33/

I wonder how many other mosses just came and went, unnoticed, in the hobby?

In the lab where I work, I was using a tank full of what I thought was Java moss, back in 2002. However, the moss (which is still present in the lab's "fishroom") produces capsules and is obviously a Vesicularia.
    Dave S.

Feedback Score
    I don't really think that's amazing. Ambylostegium (serpens) is widely spredded on our planet. It's common in Europe, Asia and Northern America.
    I have an aquariumbook from late 60's, and Fontinalis antipyretica is know as a good aquarium plant. Actually, theres Marsilea quadrifolia too.

Fontinalis goes as far back as at least Innes, so that's 1935, I believe. What I find surprising (it takes a lot to AMAZE me, though LOL) is that Amblystegium, which I find fairly easy to grow, more or less came and went. Fontinalis is difficult to grow well, so it's not surprising that it largely faded into obscurity. I'm wondering what other perfectly acceptable aquarium mosses came and went over the years.
    Dave S.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lampeye
    Fontinalis is difficult to grow well, so it's not surprising that it largely faded into obscurity.
    ? I don't really think it's difficult. Could that be because here we naturally have cooler waters (indoors too) in winter? Fontinalis (and Ambylostegium) is native here. I personally think that mosses are quite new to aquarium plant hobby. No one was interested of them in aquarium compared to some stem plants.