Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

AGA Membership

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My Membership Directory from the Aquatic Gardeners' Association (AGA) arrived yesterday. Looking through the names of the members and the countries they come from, I was rather surprised to find out that I am the only person from Singapore who is a member of AGA.

Hongkong, Indonesia, South Korea and Taiwan also have only one member each. Malaysia isn't listed so I presume there isn't a single AGA member there. Japan has 2 but one is Amano's company, ADA so that doesn't count.

It costs US$23 a year to be a member of the AGA. For that, you get 4 journals a year. The journals are of a very high quality. The articles contain a lot of information and are often accompanied by many beautiful pictures. I would urge anyone who's interested in aquatic plants to become a member. Now is a good time to take advantage of the favourable exhange rates. Last I heard, 1 US dollar is only 1.38 Sing, a far cry from the 1.80 Sing it used to cost.

Loh K L

Hi Loh,

Do you happen to have their Official Website? Thanks

Dennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sure, Dennis. The AGA's official website can be found here.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Loh, do you usually pay by paypal or credit cards?

I thought of paying by credit cards, but am concern about security issues. I have paid through cards for some overseas purchase before, and all is well. But somehow, the security thingy just cross my mind just now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Carl,

It's always good to be cautious when buying things online. A web-hosting company once cheated me of a hundred Sing dollars. I complained to my credit card company but they couldn't do a thing about it.

But it's absolutely safe with the AGA. They are a non-profit organisation and everything is run by volunteers. If you don't feel safe using your credit card, you can also pay the membership fees through paypal. Check out this page to learn more details.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Loh

Thanks. I have paid through paypal as I just remembered I have some USD left in the account.

Now is to wait eagerly for the arrival of the magazine. :P

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Loh,

It's a pain to get Paypal over here and there's a lot of haters of Paypal if you google it. Credit cards companies here have draconian laws on online purchases, maybe we have bad reputation!

I've actually held a copy of the AGA booklet. Gotten it thru afriend's friend who mailed it over and it's nicely written more than a year back.

I think some fellas here have joined the AGA competitions but it clearly states you have to be a member so I don't know how it happened. So far most here are hypnotized by the IAPLC-by Amano and Hong Kong's CAU-Creative Aquascaping Union for good reason.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I really don't know why you all don't have paypal, Stan. Malaysia's banking system may not be the most reliable around but I'm sure it isn't that bad either.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I've been told you can get it but paypal choose not to support it here. Means withdrawing is not possible unless you have offshore account, however buying is possible thru credit or debit card.

Anyway, it's out topic.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung